Cores

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I've seen weight systems described before and I'm still not sure if a system involving 'weight' values would be all that intuitive versus a system that would have a set amount of 'slots' per armour type. In the system you're describing, it's basically the same as a Slots system, but instead of something that could be as simple as:
Outrider: 2 weapon slots, one Core slot, 2 Item slots

It's instead changed to:
Outrider: Weight allowance/ Weapon weight, Core weight, Item weight (which would likely equate to a Outrider carrying 2 weapons, a Core, and two items)

Which, imo, is not nearly as intuitive as a simple Slots based system.

ZanteWarrior

Private Tester
Conversation is getting good :)

As i read through seymour post I cant help but think of a few items that can go along with the "Core with Items" system. But want to ask the question at what point do you make an idea a core versus making it an item. In order to have an effective system you have to have a bases on what you consider worthy enough of being a core or little enough to just equipable items.

Example:
I could say that the regen core is not worthy of being a core it is to overpowering. I say make health pack items and give each class a certain number at respawn, so that without respawning they cant use it more than a set number of times.

-OR-

I could say that health packs are overpowering because you can use them at anytime and just respawn when you need them and have no consequences for using them. They should be a core that you can only use at the cost of energy and have a reload time so they cant be used often.

(Btw these examples are just examples and not truely how I feel)

But I just wanted to provide the examples to support that I believe there should be a system in place to determine what ideas get to be core or items cause as you can see alot of ideas can go both ways, it can become a complicated subject. The system should be flexible to because every idea isnt going to be the same. I believe as well thats why things go into test first before they get release and the real benefits of good testers cause they help work out some of these issues.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Conversation is getting good :)

As i read through seymour post I cant help but think of a few items that can go along with the "Core with Items" system. But want to ask the question at what point do you make an idea a core versus making it an item. In order to have an effective system you have to have a bases on what you consider worthy enough of being a core or little enough to just equipable items.

I think the best distinction (as I mentioned previously) would be to have active capabilities (shield, warp, OD, dodge etc.) be 'cores' whereas equippable items would be something that would give a passive ability. Two cores, then, one broad, and one specific in usage (a shield core and then an "Engineering Core" pairing) complemented by an equippable item that has a passive ability ("Rocket Resistance" or something like that) would be the way to go.

ZanteWarrior

Private Tester
I think the best distinction (as I mentioned previously) would be to have active capabilities (shield, warp, OD, dodge etc.) be 'cores' whereas equippable items would be something that would give a passive ability. Two cores, then, one broad, and one specific in usage (a shield core and then an "Engineering Core" pairing) complemented by an equippable item that has a passive ability ("Rocket Resistance" or something like that) would be the way to go.

Well I went back and it seems i missed the memo about cores being referred to as "active" and items/equipables as "passive"

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Well I went back and it seems i missed the memo about cores being referred to as "active" and items/equipables as "passive"
I think its only been me making noise about that one. Its Seymour's idea on this thread, so I figure the final decision lies with him.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Fog Core: throws out fog that lasts 10 seconds on an area of 50m. Unavailable at a radius of 50m to the flag stands. Good for covering cappers.

3lionz

Legions Developer
Stealth Core: reduces range at which player can be detected by others and reduces length of the jet trails.
Ehhhhh, I think that is a bit under powered.
I would say that it should use energy, very limited detection (or none), deactivates on damage, and you are almost completely transparent (not including shadow?) and jet trails should be visible. This will allow you to be seen, but not noticeable on a quick pass.

Yay for over complicating!

Delpicy

I do like Seymour's idea alot. Makes sense. And another possible item/secondary core idea would be limitless OD: No longer have to be on the ground to use od. That limit has always annoyed me haha. And I can see how Volt's idea would work, but I'd really rather not be doing math when playing videogames and adding up x, y and z, and that every little tweak i make to a loadout causes my player to fly differently. It may be more realistic, sure, but Seymour's process of Step 1: Pick a core. Step 2: Pick 3 items. Step 3: Viola, get out there and play just seems like a much cleaner way of functionally doing the same thing.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I do like Seymour's idea alot. Makes sense. And another possible item/secondary core idea would be limitless OD: No longer have to be on the ground to use od. That limit has always annoyed me haha. And I can see how Volt's idea would work, but I'd really rather not be doing math when playing videogames and adding up x, y and z, and that every little tweak i make to a loadout causes my player to fly differently. It may be more realistic, sure, but Seymour's process of Step 1: Pick a core. Step 2: Pick 3 items. Step 3: Viola, get out there and play just seems like a much cleaner way of functionally doing the same thing.
Volt was just giving example numbers for potential coding purposes. The changes the average player would notice is how sluggish/agile you get, so you wouldn't be doing a lot of math, you'd just figure out what happens intuitively.

Libra

the stealth jammer should have some chaff smoke and IR flares, it should also be able to disable your ifv signal

Lin

In reference to that mass based idea, it seems that by putting a weight limit on each armor set you're setting an unnecessary limitation.

Give each armor set a different amount of impulse on their jets, where OR armor gets less impulse and Sents get more impulse. This limits the effectiveness of slamming items and weapons onto a lighter frame, the same thing the mass limit is there to do, while still allowing players to just go troll happy when they feel llike it.

Robbz

How about this...

Turret core!

When used, this core would drop a small unmobile turret that would fire either sky bolts or the light chain gun style blaster at any enemy that comes close enough to target. The turret would live until destroyed or another way would be until energy drains until dead (which would mean the more it shoots the more energy it would use). Turret should have 100 helth and unlimited ammo (unless you want it to use energy to shoot). Once destroyed must wait 45-60 seconds before being used again.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Deployables are coming anyways.

Also, with my previous idea regarding weight, there would be nothing to stop people from simply using the Sentinel frame with low weight to achieve stupid speeds with more armor than the OR, so it would severely mess up the game.