Cores

ZanteWarrior

Private Tester
Honstly I just love the idea of cores and being able to switch between different cores for different uses. Good job devs in creating the reg and warp core. I feel more core types are the way to go and below I have a few ideas I want to throw out there for new cores. Others can feel free to post there core ideas as well.

Wall Core
For like 2 seconds a clear wall a little bigger than the actual player forms infront of the player. The purpose of this is for defence to block cappers and others from coming in or leaving base. The player wont be allowed to shoot while the wall is up but if a player hits them it will act just like if the hit a tower or something and will lose some damage and speed.

Explosion Core
A blast a few feet surrounding the player that acts like a bomb and explodes doing the players remaining health damage to everyone who is in radius. It instantly kills the person who uses it.
-OR-
Explosion does half the damage of the players remaining life but does not kill the person who uses it. It cost energy to use though.

Reload Core
Reloads ammo by a set amount.

Power Core
Last for 3 seconds and increase the damage done by a bullet shot during that time.

Invisible Core
Makes you invisible for like 3 seconds. But you are still able to get damaged though and you cannot use it while you have the flag.

Thats it for now, if I have any more ideas Ill post them.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
  1. Why not just have a deployable shield so you can leave it alone and don't have to stand there with it?
  2. Just so you know, the radius of the RL is like 18 meters and the radius of the mortar is 35, so for a self-destruct core, you're probably going to want something more like 50. You'd also need some sort of charging timer on it probably...
  3. No comments on this one
  4. No comments here either

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Wall Core
For like 2 seconds a clear wall a little bigger than the actual player forms infront of the player. The purpose of this is for defence to block cappers and others from coming in or leaving base. The player wont be allowed to shoot while the wall is up but if a player hits them it will act just like if the hit a tower or something and will lose some damage and speed.

I think this might be pretty neat. To prevent it from being too powerful, it could rely on energy to power it and a cooldown. Damage to the player when he's got the wall up would drain health and energy (so a hit or two would knock out the wall). As for an aesthetic, I could imagine something like Hal Jordan's power, a energy-like manifestation of a wall.

Explosion Core
A blast a few feet surrounding the player that acts like a bomb and explodes doing the players remaining health damage to everyone who is in radius. It instantly kills the person who uses it.

Not sure about this, while it might be comical to watch a player detonate himself in the middle of the enemy base, I don't know how useful it'd be. Perhaps it would be better placed as an item that could be equipped. Upon death you'll create a small explosion (think similar to a OD explosion). It'd be a very situational attack, mind you.

Reload Core
Reloads ammo by a set amount.

Not sure how popular a 'ammo reload' Core would be (especially with suicide, plentiful ammo stations being quick alternatives to reload). While mortar spam isn't nearly a problem in the new patch as it has been in old patches, this Core would basically allow a player to spam whatever projectile he wanted at the enemy base (encircle the base shooting and activating the reload core as needed).

While I do like the idea of allowing the player to carry more ammunition, I think this is another Core idea that I think could be better served as an item that could be equipped. ie: Ammo belt that would increase your ammunition count.

Power Core
Last for 3 seconds and increase the damage done by a bullet shot during that time.

This might be pretty neat, reminds me of Quake's Quad damage powerup.

Anyhow, good ideas, keep 'em coming!

ZanteWarrior

Private Tester
Explosion Core

Well what if u make it so that the explosion does half the damage of the players remaining life but does not kill the person who uses it. I dont think there radius should not be big so that theres overpowered.

Sounds to me like it would be a great clearing weapon for incoming cappers.

Yea i was thinking the same thing.

Power Core
This might be pretty neat, reminds me of Quake's Quad damage powerup.

yea quad damage would be to much though lol, maybe like a 10%-15% increase or something.

Also I thought of this last night

Invisible Core
Makes you invisible for like 3 seconds. But you are still able to get damaged though and you cannot use it while you have the flag.

Libra

for the explosion core i have an idea this would be great

DROP_SHIELD.jpg
A shield core would be great a spherical shield that envelops you for a few seconds

A Boost core would be nice it basically functions like a boost nade gives you that extra boost when you need it the most with out that pesky boost nade damage

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I've come up with a list of cores.. Really need to upload them some time. Remember with shield cores though not to make heavies OP...

That_Guy

suicide bomber core:(simplified explosion core) turn yourself into a mortar round; 3 seconds till detonation
up core:(stupid idea) hurls you REALLY high into the air; good for cappers
jump core: makes rocket jumps and things of that nature cost no damage
radar jammer core: people can't see you on the horizon, only your small black dot and not the red tag above you
energy core: unlimited energy for 5 seconds

oh and an "air brake core" where you stop no matter what speed you were going

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I'm actually really liking the Air Brake core even though Idk what to do with it. Perhaps instead of just stopping you, it would impart impulse to people in front of you based upon your momentum. Perhaps everyone in a cone in front of you, say 30 degrees wide receives impulse. Closer people receive more so it would be vaguely like splash weapons.

Anyways, back at my dorm so I have the list of things I came up with. Some of these aren't developed while other are, so bear that in mind.

Overcharge: increases a player's energy pool by a set percent.

Anchor: after standing still for x time, increases damage by y percent.

Recharge: increases energy regen by, say 1 EPS

Shield: graphically creates a bubble shield around the player, disables passive energy regen, and takes damage to energy until it is depleted. Having the shield up slowly drains energy. To prevent heavies from being indestructible, the energy drain of having it activated as well as the modifier for damage taken (all three armor classes have numerically far less energy than health) is based upon mass. Energy drain would be (200+mass)/60 and the multiplier for incoming damage would be 400/(600-mass). This would result in the following table.
Legions Shield Core Stats.png

Link: (some of you have seen this before as I have mentioned it elsewhere; this will be a summary/modification to the original) spawns a beam of energy linking two players. By it's use, the user surrenders control of their movement to the other player. The user shall be known as the passenger and the person to whom control is surrendered shall be known as the pilot; rotating the mouse now freely rotates the passenger as if in a turret. The pilot also sacrifices the ability to fire their weapons and has their PoV set to third person at a distance that themselves and all passengers may be seen together. Together, they create a "vehicle" which is controlled by the pilot. Mass of each individual player is ignored and there is a collective center of mass entity created by the engine. While graphically thrust will still be performed by the players, it will be imparted on the center of mass. Rotation of the vehicle will be around the center of mass and be determined by the distance players are from it. Applying impulse to a particular player will result in torque applied to the vehicle based upon the distance of that player from the center of mass. A person with a link core may link to someone who is already a passenger and will become a passenger as well. Should a passenger to whom others are connected disengage their core or die, a "link node" will be left behind, preventing segments of the vehicle from falling off. If the pilot dies, the vehicle is disbanded. All members of a vehicle (aside from the pilot of course) receive bonus damage for each person in the vehicle (10% per person aside from pilot) with a cap at +40% damage. The pilot may also use their core at any time (though either form of OD will result in a speed boost instead of OD) which will be performed by the entire vehicle. Vehicles create monster warp scars which can be passed through by other vehicles (as soon as any member goes through) or by individuals, though damage dealt to anyone going to a vehicle warp scar is 10 times the number of people in vehicle (including pilot).

Ghost: (apparently this is in the Annihilation mod of Tribes, though I was not aware when I came up with it) allows a player to temporarily pass through solid objects and projectiles. Doing so drains health (though ghosting through a bullet hurts significantly less than getting hit by one) and passing through the ground is lethal. Players are still affected by gravity while ghosting. Upon activation, a player's colors will be inverted and on the user's end, the entirety of the game will be inverted, turning this... Legions Ghost Core Demo Normal.png into this... Legions Ghost Core Demo Inverted.png

Libra

an air boost core system functions like the overdrive but with out the damage only lasts a few seconds not an instant od

Fixious

Test Lead
One interesting idea I had is the ability to combine cores. For instance, being able to go invisible and then explode on the enemy flag, clearing it for incoming cappers.

I dunno.

jago

Like I said to Poponfu the other day, I want to be able to shoot a rocket through the warp scar

Love the power core idea, Zante. If you have it activated, and you're using sniper, it could be used as an Instakill. Much like the Old Laser Rifle! totally support that :p Great ideas, man.

Sin

Private Tester
A one shot laser rifle, in it's current point-and-click state, would be ridiculously overpowered. Core or not.

prometheus11

I think warp cores should be wayyy more inclusive... warping thrown flags...enemy players...projectile weapons... This would make the warp have wayyyyy more possibilities for gameplay.

If the Warp Core warped enemy players, it could be used to completely deplete an enemy's speed. Say you have a capper coming in high speed. As soon as they get close enough...someone standing on the flag warps... capper hits warp...bam, no speed. But if the capper also had warp they could warp before they hit and thus delay their arrival and evade the warp. Make sense?

Poponfu

Lead Developer
If the Warp Core warped enemy players, it could be used to completely deplete an enemy's speed. Say you have a capper coming in high speed. As soon as they get close enough...someone standing on the flag warps... capper hits warp...bam, no speed. But if the capper also had warp they could warp before they hit and thus delay their arrival and evade the warp. Make sense?

This is how it is now , jump in the blue portals ! In this case put one in front of a capper as he comes in ( its hard to learn though ). Also jump through them to chase warp cappers.. you will exit their same velocity.

I think more than 50% of people dont realize this.. need to make it more known somehow :(