Cores

Delpicy

Haha I never said any of them were going to be good. I just ran out of my own personaly creativity juice. And of everything I mentioned, 2 of them you responded with future development plans of something similar, which is good enough for me. Like I said, sometimes it takes 1000 bad ideas to come up with a great one. But I agree with all your criticisms, and all those ideas should be scrapped. However, I'm going to go off and develop some full ideas instead of throwing out a bunch of haphazard ones, and hopefully my suggestions will be more beneficial then. Plus, doesn't matter what crazy ideas I spew out, in the end of the day, it isn't my decision to make as to what goes into the game and what doesn't

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Instead of an air brake, and I know I've mentioned this before, but airbrakes came up again. How about a kinetic energy storage core? If you need to slow down for whatever reason (Such as you won't be able to make a route, and you're going to crater on a wall.) Then you activate this core, which over time stores about 70% of your kinetic energy, the rest is 'lost in the process'. Then, with another keybinding, all that kinetic energy gets dumped back into you, propelling you forward in the direction you are facing. This would probably be used mostly for cappers that messed up on a route, and then could 'speed lama' using the energy release.

Possible restrictions. The braking portion is reliant on jet energy, and when the energy is depleted, it'll eat at health, though a little more slowly.

The braking mechanism could be charged once only before getting the energy back. Then, in that circle that displays core availability, an icon can show up that lets the player know that they have energy stored.

Also, the energy stored could slowly dissipate so the sooner you use it after you stop yourself, the more energy you get back.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I don't see how it would fail to encourage skilled skiing. The more skilled the skier, the more energy they could store into the system to be used later.

Lin

Interesting. Energy stored could translate into how many boosts/airdodges you can do or how fast your core recharges. Would be great for LO; they could get energy from skiing to the enemy base and then use it for a period of boosted dodges once they get there.

Fixious

Test Lead
2004-06-28-toobadsosad.JPG

Delpicy

How about an afterburner core? When activated, you gain 50% energy, and while you are using that 50% you have twice the thrust. Basically it acts as doubly your energy, as it gets you to the same speed as if you had 200% energy, but it takes less time/distance to get you up to that speed, i.e. faster acceleration. The afterburner energy gets used up first after activation, and doesn't last forever if you don't use it. This could be combined with mausgang's KE storage core somehow if you need to "charge" up your afterburners first before using them.

Fixious

Test Lead
There doesn't seem to be any risk/disadvantage to using it though. Might just be me, but cores should take away something, like OD eats at your health.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
There doesn't seem to be any risk/disadvantage to using it though. Might just be me, but cores should take away something, like OD eats at your health.
My thoughts exactly and perhaps this is part of why when I made a passive energy regen core I hated it so much. The new cores we're working on all take away something (except for one of them, but there is a very good reason why it doesn't lol). One drains your energy over time, one drains your energy in bursts, and one drains your health in bursts.

Adding something that gives you free energy as a core simply isn't fun. If you make it eat health/energy, you have OD. Now, I suppose you might be able to pull of the idea of a core that allows you to impart forward thrust to your player from energy, but it would have to be no different than up/down jetting (if not less) in power.

Delpicy

Hmmm I see your point. It could have an after effect of reducing your energy regen rate by 50%-100% for the next 5 seconds or so.
There are other things you could "take away" other than just flat health/energy. For example:
- it could reduce/take away health/regen rate for a while (as I just mentioned),
- reduced armor,
- affect your ability to accelerate,
- affect your ability to maintain speed (eats at your speed instead of health or energy),
- mausgang's storage idea(requires a charge up which requires time and effort to charge it up, and needs to be used relatively soon after),
- exponentially increasing health/regen loss (ex. a boost that has a short cd, but the quicker you use it right after another the more health it takes from you),
- depletes ammo (ex. a core that unloads all your bullets/rockets at once, in random directions),
- restricts movement (like Volt's anchor idea)
- reduced damage output
- temporary support role (reduced damage in 1v1 fights, increased damage when in team fights (enemy needs to have been damaged by a team member/team member's proximity to you and the enemy, etc, although there are other possibilities)
- any combination of these

Clearly there are more possibilities, I just mentioned what I gave up with off the top of my head in two minutes. Personally, I think its much easier to think of some sort of disadvantage for a core than an advantage, so I sometimes overlook mentioning one because I can usually just pick one out of a hat. Thanks for pointing that out however :)