Rabbit on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Created

What I do want to say though, is that chasers should be rewarded points for killing the rabbit. In the three or four games I played yesterday, I was by far the one with the most rabbit kills. I'm not saying I should've won for that reason. After all, rabbit is about grabbing the flag and skiing around the map without being caught. However, I do believe rewarding rabbit kills with one point is appropriate.
/agrees

Also, the rabbit server size should have a limit of 8 people. Anything greater than that just ruins the game and makes grabbing the flag a matter of luck.
This all depends on what players you're up against and how you play the game yourself in my opinion. If you join the piling up then it's hard, but if you try to snatch the flag in OD it's pretty doable nonetheless of how many others are piled up on the flag?

Royalty

The Aussie
1. When I posted that I was pretty sure there were no public test servers.
2. You are really starting to live up to your title "GRUMPY DEVELOPER"

Created

May I add that I don't like the class lock at Gunner. The game is funner with outriders. More speed, higher acceleration, the game is more active. With gunner if you can pull away on a speedy route on a small map (without plenty of speedy routes) you can pull off a long run too easily if you're good on health still. Can't catch up easily.

Fixious

Test Lead
Also, the rabbit server size should have a limit of 8 people. Anything greater than that just ruins the game and makes grabbing the flag a matter of luck.

I actually like the chaotic nature of Rabbit. That ~15 player game the other night was pretty epic. I didn't get a chance to actually hold the flag, but it was fun nonetheless. Course, that was when OR was an available class...

:(

GReaper

Grumpy
I'll be looking at another solution for weapons on rabbit when I've got time for it. Enabling spawn restrictions was a case of 5 minutes work to enable it on all servers as the code is there already, instead of letting snipers cause problems with a game type which isn't designed for it.

We've got other weapons being added into the game, most of which should be suitable for rabbit. I'd rather not restrict rabbit to a single armour class and 3 weapons when we've only got a problem with a single weapon. However getting this right involves adding new code which needs to be tested.

I'll try and address this along with the other rabbit fixes in the next update.

Fixious

Test Lead
1233958263178.gif

READ THE BLOG

Created

I'll be looking at another solution for weapons on rabbit when I've got time for it. Enabling spawn restrictions was a case of 5 minutes work to enable it on all servers as the code is there already, instead of letting snipers cause problems with a game type which isn't designed for it.

We've got other weapons being added into the game, most of which should be suitable for rabbit. I'd rather not restrict rabbit to a single armour class and 3 weapons when we've only got a problem with a single weapon. However getting this right involves adding new code which needs to be tested.

I'll try and address this along with the other rabbit fixes in the next update.
Can you undo your change meanwhile then please? I think the inconvenience of gunner-lock is higher than of a few snipers. (and a sniperfest can be fun actually once in a while)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
1. When I posted that I was pretty sure there were no public test servers.
2. You are really starting to live up to your title "GRUMPY DEVELOPER"

1. Must you be so bleeding rude?
2. That's a developer that you're talking to there.

I think Rabbit is a very frustrating gametype out there at the moment. The reason for this is that a good player can simply pick up the flag when not even perhaps chasing the guy down and fly with it for sometime. Here are what I think should be done to make the game less frustrating:

1. At the start of the game, have everyone spawn a set distance away from the flag - I've seen people spawning right next to the flag while some are miles away. This isn't fair, and too much based on luck
  2. Killing the flag carrier should result in a point, sorry, but it should. There's no focus on chasing, and instead its all about the pickup. Good players can get boosted and pick up the flag at insane speeds when they haven't even done any chasing.
  3. Simply picking the flag up should result in a point. You grab it and then get killed two seconds later on flat land where you can't go anywhere is also just unfair.
  4. A max limit of players of either 8 or 10. 14 is just way too much.
  5. A possible increase of getting points for holding the flag, i.e 3 points for 10 seconds
  6. A possible increase in ammo, if it is just a few more hand grenades, or completely unlimited, more ammo would be much better.
  7. When the flag is dropped, the flag doesn't bounce, and stays 'rooted' in to the ground. This means it will cause less moments in the game when the
The last three ideas probably won't make it, I believe for sure that the first four should be implemented.

The way the game works, its more about picking the flag up when ends up on the ground when it ends up on the ground with everyone shooting it. These ideas are meant to stop that and more where there is a high speed chase going on.

Sharp

Private Tester
  1. At the start of the game, have everyone spawn a set distance away from the flag - I've seen people spawning right next to the flag while some are miles away. This isn't fair, and too much based on luck
  2. Killing the flag carrier should result in a point, sorry, but it should. There's no focus on chasing, and instead its all about the pickup. Good players can get boosted and pick up the flag at insane speeds when they haven't even done any chasing.
  3. Simply picking the flag up should result in a point. You grab it and then get killed two seconds later on flat land where you can't go anywhere is also just unfair.
  4. A max limit of players of either 8 or 10. 14 is just way too much.
  5. A possible increase of getting points for holding the flag, i.e 3 points for 10 seconds
  6. A possible increase in ammo, if it is just a few more hand grenades, or completely unlimited, more ammo would be much better.
  7. When the flag is dropped, the flag doesn't bounce, and stays 'rooted' in to the ground. This means it will cause less moments in the game when the
1. Not necessary; very infrequently does the person who grabs get more than a point.
2. The game is Rabbit; not kill as many rabbits as you can. It shouldn't be a viable position to sit around and snipe, though that is getting fixed. People should get a point for kills, but only if an adjustment of points for holding flag is increased.
3. Agreed, but only if points for holding flag is increased.
4. Used to think that, not anymore. If server is stuck at 8, that means extra people can't get in. If three people drop because of a garbage map like moonshine, it's not nearly as fun, whereas a buffer of extra slots offsets that.
5. already addressed
6. Disagree completely. Aside from occasionally running out of discs, I have never had any ammo problems. Unlimited nades would just be silly and give people dumb habits and change gameplay further from stock CTF without any worthwhile benefits.
7. I used to think that, but I think it adds another dimension, and that way in crowded games, you don't have 10 people ground-discing a stationary flag.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
1. Not necessary; very infrequently does the person who grabs get more than a point.

2. The game is Rabbit; not kill as many rabbits as you can. It shouldn't be a viable position to sit around and snipe, though that is getting fixed. People should get a point for kills, but only if an adjustment of points for holding flag is increased.
3. Agreed, but only if points for holding flag is increased.
4. Used to think that, not anymore. If server is stuck at 8, that means extra people can't get in. If three people drop because of a garbage map like moonshine, it's not nearly as fun, whereas a buffer of extra slots offsets that.
5. already addressed
6. Disagree completely. Aside from occasionally running out of discs, I have never had any ammo problems. Unlimited nades would just be silly and give people dumb habits and change gameplay further from stock CTF without any worthwhile benefits.
7. I used to think that, but I think it adds another dimension, and that way in crowded games, you don't have 10 people ground-discing a stationary flag.

1. I've seen some crazy spawns though, it just adds a 'luck' element to the game and I don't think people should have that kind of advantage.
  2. Ah, but to rabbit, you must kill the rabbit. Its part of the game, and chasing should be rewarded. Its not all about picking up the flag. Snipers are getting nerfed it seems, so no worries about that.
  3. Likewise, therefore people still have a reason to rabbit.
  4. Maybe 8 seems too low, but I'd be more than happy with a small buffer rather than a large one. I.e. 12 players.
  5. Likewise
  6. Yeah, really wasn't sure about this one, it would make hunting the flag carrier down to overpowered.
  7. Yeah it does add a new dimension and direction, and stops those annoying times where no one can pick up the flag.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Spawning position doesn't matter at all.

It does! There's been some crazy spawns were people are right next to the flag, and other people are just crtl + k'ing and not getting anywhere near the flag. There needs to be a set distance away from the flag at the beginning of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.