Spawn Updates on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki

Some of the new comments sound really good and I actually like the idea behind this update more, but I'm still of the opinion that it would be better to not completely rip off Tribes. Are jet packs not enough of an homage already? I'm all for deeper gameplay and all, but, I mean, I'll go play Tribes if I want to play Tribes :p . Perhaps this community needs some fresh (relatively) ideas so we can stop suggesting things like AS forcefields that Tribes already did.

Ideas are served best remixed and rematched. To that end, I suggest that as many people as are willing hop on over to youtube and look at sci-fi movie and sother games BESIDES Tribes. Consider Planetside, Star Wars, Dune, Starcraft, Starship Troopers (check out the book, too), Halo, Mechwarrior, Command and Conquer, Warhammer 40000....

I like the idea of deployable assets, destructible assets, cores, etc. But I'm in the camp of "let's avoid making repairing the base more than 5% of the gameplay." There are other, more interesting ways to force strategic play and slow pacing (why not make deployables a bigger part? for instance).

Armageddon

Teapot
No matter what idea the dev come up with i'll be able to directly link it to tribes or a tribes mod, the game is too similar and is getting even more so as the updates come, and i couldn't be happier.

GoodJobDino

Okay, I have gotten used to playing with the update, and defensively, it is a nightmare. It is very rare that I am able to chase, return, respawn, and either be back on stand or able to chase again before someone has already grabbed the flag and is on their merry way. And that's in a pub, I don't even want to think about how grueling it would be to try and pull it off in a more organized game.

Edit: I am with Aki that there has to be other ways to give this game more depth and strategy. Though I don't mind whether it drifts closer or away from a tribes type game. I think that the little differences between the two would make Legions able to stand on it's own.

Karnage

Private Tester
I for one, am with Aki, in that if I wanted to play Tribes I would play Tribes. Legions is different because it is faster. Let's not sacrifice speed for depth but somehow keep both. I also agree with him about the new spawn update favouring offence. It's a nightmare for defenders.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Okay, I have gotten used to playing with the update, and defensively, it is a nightmare. It is very rare that I am able to chase, return, respawn, and either be back on stand or able to chase again before someone has already grabbed the flag and is on their merry way. And that's in a pub, I don't even want to think about how grueling it would be to try and pull it off in a more organized game.

Edit: I am with Aki that there has to be other ways to give this game more depth and strategy. Though I don't mind whether it drifts closer or away from a tribes type game. I think that the little differences between the two would make Legions able to stand on it's own.
Well, this was how we planned to add in things like deployable turrets. If the offense doesn't get a buff somewhere, turrets will be out of the question in the current state. If they were added and you did not spawn with the overdrive core, would that solve the issues?

Again, we are looking at how the action fares with a this change, not if it's perfectly balanced between offense and defense in the current state.

57thSylph

I think it's rather unfair because some people DO play in Chaser class (Chaingun and rocket launcher), even if they don't have grenades they can still cap immediately. Such as on maps like frostbyte, nivosus, zenith etc. There's a straight route down the middle and it doesn't require any grenade boosting. Like Immanent said the "default" Outrider can just rush into the enemy base with the Defense completely not ready.

My solution to this is that the "default" loadout you spawn out of should be a human. Just a human with NO weapons or anything else whatsoever. So no one could take advantage. I also agree with Battelstar, we should be able to pick our class before the game starts. This update makes the game more realistic. If the devs set their minds to put this update live, changes are needed, as stated above.

My opinion overall, like many other players here, I think that it slows down the fast nature of Legions. Alright, imagine the enemy capper is going back to their base with your flag in a rather slow speed but no one is there for an E grab. The offense needs to rush in to distract and grab the flag at any cost, yet they need to go to the ammo station and pick their loadout. Imagine ourselves in Stygian, the ammo boxes are in absolutely bizarre places, we won't be able to get to the enemy base in time.

A2

My solution to this is that the "default" loadout you spawn out of should be a human. Just a human with NO weapons or anything else whatsoever. So no one could take advantage. I also agree with Battelstar, we should be able to pick our class before the game starts. This update makes the game more realistic. If the devs set their minds to put this update live, changes are needed, as stated above.

I'll go with initial class select rather than spawning as a human.

Fixious

Test Lead
It better not...
The devs have made it pretty clear they're going forward with this, whether we like it or not. Things will changes, mainly ammo spawn points, but that's about it. I'm not entirely thrilled with it either, but until mod support rolls out there's nothing we can do.

In short...

GReaper

Grumpy
The spawn update has been pushed out to public-test to get feedback, not for a quick test before pushing it to live. Our only way of finding out what works is by changing the game and getting people to play it!

I think it's fairly clear that this particular change doesn't belong on its own, forcing people to visit an ammo station before they can do anything else is just adding a pointless delay to things. Players are unlikely to switch loadouts again after visiting a station, they aren't going back there because it recovers their health, there aren't any deployables where you need to visit a station to get another one, etc.

Dacil

^...yeeahhh apparently a lot of people can't see beyond what's in front of them....they just go "OMG WHAT'S THIS *freakout*" and don't even think about what's in store for the future, that makes this update good and not bad....

Disci

Old man
Don't worry, Dacil. Most of the people who has posted in here are around 14 years old and their posts are generaly ignored completely. Also they refuse to read/understand posts made before them. Especially if the post has been made by developer of this game.

Having these outstanding smart individuals among us giving out the best feedback they can offer such as:

and:

My solution to this is that the "default" loadout you spawn out of should be a human. Just a human with NO weapons or anything else whatsoever. So no one could take advantage.

I'm very certain, that this game will shine in the future and attract *chocolate cookies* tons of new people.

Arch

Legions Developer
Well, this was how we planned to add in things like deployable turrets.
Doesn't that just take the job from the defensive players?

Next thing you know there will be ground and air vehicles and destructible bases. This is not a Tribes game, please stop trying to make it Tribes game.

Astrum

Super Special R&D

Next thing you know there will be ground and air vehicles and destructible bases. This is not a Tribes game, please stop trying to make it Tribes game.

It's a spiritual successor to Tribes, even back in the IA days. Further, Legions has a rocket launcher. This isn't quake. We should take that out. Grenades too. Pretty much everything.

Disci

Old man

Do you understand, that you're talking to developer there? They can make RL shoot *dancing* flowers if they want or just stop developing the game if they suddenly like it that way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.