Spawn Updates on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
To people who don't like the update: again EXPLAIN!

Also, remember the State of the Empire blog post. Legions is moving forward. Speed and flow will need to be sacrificed a little bit to allow for deeper gameplay. Look and plan for the future. Keeping the game the same pace won't allow the dev much room to work with.

Remember, look the the future of the game, not what is here and now.

By-Tor

Private Tester
I like the idea of Inventory Stations, as well as Ammo stations. This does slow the game abit, but since everyone is affected it becomes relative. One thing I noticed is that now that the Inventory stations are 'needed' we may need to move them to more protected positions. Like on Frost, move them to the back instead of the front of the mini-towers.

Armageddon

Teapot
The slow down is fine but a normalized inventory would be much better then relying on ammo stations that are not placed well for this system.

Wuzgud

Legions Developer
I like the simplicity of Legions and the ability to get straight into the action. I think this stops the flow of Legions and doesn't make it more enjoyable. I also was looking forward to choosing your own class/skins to respawn with. Like this:
http://i.imgur.com/MNCNE.jpg
I like the idea of re spawning with the class and weapons you want. So that's why I don't like it.

I mostly agree with Royalty. I like the concept of using the ammo depots to change loadouts, but once loadout is changed I feel that the effect should persist through death. The way the system is currently implemented seems to cause gameplay to be clunky and even annoying for anyone who doesn't play as a chaser, and on a related note gives chasers a time advantage over other players in that they can jump into the fray immediately while teammates must first run to an ammo depot to change.

I'd also like to agree with contingency. This is definitely a step in the right direction towards deepening game play.

DroneBot

I dont like the new supply box thing, reason because it slows down gameplay, it's pointless, and makes it stupidly repetitive to keep goin back to it.
I'd rather see a 5 second respawn time than do this. Sorry but i absolutely hate this update.

GoodJobDino

This one is kind of a toss up for me.

On one hand, I really like the idea, and as a HoF in training, it makes it a lot easier to place myself by the flag after spawning.

On the other hand, It really puts a team at a disadvantage defensively when all their players with no LO, have to spawn and be raped by players sticking around their base with a LO. Especially having no nades makes it very tricky, though I see how having nades could offensively make it a super fast class to start with, which you could do before anyway.

Overall I would have to give this update the thumbs down at this point.

Abandoned

This one is kind of a toss up for me.

On one hand, I really like the idea, and as a HoF in training, it makes it a lot easier to place myself by the flag after spawning.

On the other hand, It really puts a team at a disadvantage defensively when all their players with no LO, have to spawn and be raped by players sticking around their base with a LO. Especially having no nades makes it very tricky, though I see how having nades could offensively make it a super fast class to start with, which you could do before anyway.

Overall I would have to give this update the thumbs down at this point.

I think the handgrenades were removed as people spammed the *dancing* nades at each other in the pre-game countdown.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
Ok, so the changes are good. its the stations positions and the starting ones that are goofily placed.

as it stands, the two most loved maps, Frost and Zenith, are relatively fine. The AS(ammo stations) on Frost are in the front; which is where most of the action takes place. They allow defense to get gear and be ready for the incoming cappers and LO that 98% (or so) come from the front. Zenith AS are out in the open and in the main chase/capper/defense positions on stand offs. They work too. Maps like Fallout and Elegiac(sp) have wonky, not working synergy with the AS ans spawn points. Fixing these would make the flow of the map better. The other maps pretty much fall under these categories. Fix the AS and Spawn points and we are golden for now.

Lets also look the the future (as I said earlier). Using ammo stations to gain your armor or weapons gives another focus point to the LO, this takes off some of the pressure on the stand and other D. Now if it could be destroyed, that gives the defense something else to do. Which leads to more people needed to play the game -> more players -> more teams -> more fun.

having this mind set on grabbing your loadout allows for better, more deeper gameplay then just what we have now. It is needed, test it without bias.

Fixious

Test Lead
Sucks for HoF's, but since I'm never HoF I don't really care. Seems silly to make D even harder now, but I guess that's the direction they want to go at this point. Base assets are almost a must now.

I'd actually prefer the ability to stay as the class you selected after respawning, instead of going back to the default loadout now. While it certainly resembles Tribes, this is one aspect I don't really want to see changed.

wetflame1969

Well I have been playing with the new updates and i decided to be a critic in this situation and say what i don't like, so here goes. Well, I don't like two of the updates: Handgrenade: frag and boost, and the new update were one has to go to the ammo box to change their class. Firstly, I don't like the grenade update because you can't use frag combos as a weapon in combat, as i have used much in the past. Secondly i don't like the class change update because if you play with one class all-the-time (as i do), every time you spawn you have to go to the ammo box and obviously this gets quite annoying. I hope this feedback is useful, Thanks.

w00tyou

1. Full health on loadout.
  2. Flag carriers can change their loadout but not receive health.
Mainly to stop spawn campers. Any advice?

Allocthonous

I strongly dislike this system as it's currently implemented. Not having loadout settings persist after death is just a pain; every time I respawned, there was just that small, grating annoyance. That's if I didn't forget and try and charge into battle with different weapons than I thought I had. You should only be required to visit an ammo box when you want to change your loadout, not every time you respawn.

EDIT: I like the above poster's ideas, as well. I would add the restriction that you have to wait until you'd start healing normally to get full health from the ammo box, i.e. no jets or new damage for the normal amount of time.

blu

Does this update mean there will be no inventory station added later? Cause it seems that's what the ammo station has turned into now. If this is the case, in the future I would make them all destroyable and also when deployables come out, let each team get 2-4 deployable stations.

I am also glade to see you guys are still moving forward with the updates. I'm eager to get some deployables and play with some new cores.

Mahidhar

I've played in the public test, a few games, and I have to say; spawning as an Outrider all the time, is just annoying. On small maps like Nivosis, the flag stand is always splashed with Rockets and Grenades, making it hard to get to your preferred class, with full health. The other map I played on, was Elegiac, and you guys know, how well that went.

I think it would be better, to have the most used class, by the player, to be the default class, when he respawns. The ammo box may then be used to change classes. Also, I'd think it would be better, if we can keep getting the same class after every respawn, once the class has been chosen, by visiting the ammo station. For example, your default class is set to Gunner(at the start of the game), as you play it the most. Therefore, whenever you respawn, you'll keep getting the gunner class, without having to go to the ammo station. But once you go to the ammo station, and switch to a different class, let's say Hornet, you'll keep getting the Hornet class, everytime you respawn/die for the rest of the game.

Well, no matter what happens, I hope the default Outrider spawning will be fixed as soon as possible. I just don't want to be forced into playing that class.

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
Another idea that was thrown around was that you would spawn in your Loadout/Armor, but with a only a small amount of ammo, visiting would grant nades and more ammo (up to the max). This would go well with ammo pick ups off of dead bodies. <------

When Cores are put in, people could spawn with their prefered(sp?) loadout, and default core OD? then if they want to change it, they go to the ammo stations. This, id think, would make the other cores more for other roles/support (shield, energy, repair, no IFF, ect.) , and keep the OD core the main one. (hell its called Legions Overdrive!)

Gravis

I've played in the public test, a few games, and I have to say; spawning as an Outrider all the time, is just annoying. On small maps like Nivosis, the flag stand is always splashed with Rockets and Grenades, making it hard to get to your preferred class, with full health. The other map I played on, was Elegiac, and you guys know, how well that went.

I think it would be better, to have the most used class, by the player, to be the default class, when he respawns. The ammo box may then be used to change classes. Also, I'd think it would be better, if we can keep getting the same class after every respawn, once the class has been chosen, by visiting the ammo station. For example, your default class is set to Gunner(at the start of the game), as you play it the most. Therefore, whenever you respawn, you'll keep getting the gunner class, without having to go to the ammo station. But once you go to the ammo station, and switch to a different class, let's say Hornet, you'll keep getting the Hornet class, everytime you respawn/die for the rest of the game.

Well, no matter what happens, I hope the default Outrider spawning will be fixed as soon as possible. I just don't want to be forced into playing that class.

What he said, except I'd like to add this make things ridiculous when it comes to maps with distant ammo boxes from the flag. On Elegiac, it takes me 10 seconds to get to the damn ammo box and then 5 to run back to the flag since I HoF. In games, I was pretty much useless as the time I got my *dancing* armor the flag was gone. Taking 15 seconds to do all this is not an option.

One other point I'd like to make is this seems kind of pointless. In Tribes, station were powered by gens, thus making it important to both defend the gens and repair the stations. With inventory stations/ammo boxes doing all of this and are indestructible, the importance of them are cheapened. It's easier to go back to the main system. On the other hand, creating both inventory stations, generators, etc. will equalize it and add another position/depth to the game (base D), though still slow it down at the same time. Even then, the current maps aren't made with such ideas in mind.

Basically, I hate 90% of the changes. It doesn't add anything to the game-play; only change it negatively. Spawn updates are good.

Aki

Well.... Okay, I think it was a good idea, but the new system is not what I would like to see on the live servers. Apparently, almost everyone agrees with me (or I agree with everyone else? w/e).

I've only played FB and Elegiac with the new update. It was fine on FB, but Elegiac was a pain. I play OR anyway and it still was a pain (I play Bomber if I'm not trying to learn SB). Maybe cutting some of the space between the AS and the FS would help? Or putting another AS closer, maybe off to the side? I don't think there will be much of an issue with the smaller maps other those times when the ENTIRE other team is spamming the *chocolate cookies* out of the towers on Nivo. I do forsee BR being problematic.

I'm all for deeper game play and I loved Tribes 2, but I also like that L:O is at a different pace and all. Destroyable and deployable assets, great; generators, not so much. Besides, adding generators along with a spawn system like this one would pretty much ruin every map; devs would have to almost start over from scratch with base design, I would think. At best, the Nivo style towers would have to be hollowed out and filled with corridors.

hmm... actually, it could be interesting to have the bases connected by underground tunnels large enough for Legionnaires to maneuver in....

Abandoned

1. Full health on loadout.
  2. Flag carriers can change their loadout but not receive health.
Mainly to stop spawn campers. Any advice?

What if you're low on health so you hit ESC, press whatever loadout and head for you loadoutammo station?
I can easily see this getting abused.

I like the update, but it'd like to see the ammo stations to be moved to other places, so you don't loose too much time going for another loadout. For example on stygian you have to go all the way to the back of your base, and I know it's not far, but it still takes time to get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.