Reasonable /pricebuild for a computer

RainPilot

stinky bear
The family computer will not be salvaged since people will still use it. Again, I don't plan to buy games I will only play for an hour and put down. I'll download TF2 and BF3, and any games that vV really gets into.

C'mon, ya need like at least 500 gb for a desktop computer. I have 250 gb on my netbook and its already getting full up with stuff. Games are massive nowadays in file sizes.
10gb maximum for a game?

RainPilot

stinky bear
10*10 = 100 GB
Add bulky programs like a video editor or Adobe products.
Music Collection
Film Collection

It all adds up. I could easily fill up a 500 GB HDD.
Don't do videos or use any adobe products over. 500mb of music at most, I don't download movies alot, if I do, I delete after watching. I was thinking of a getting a 40gb HD, but decided to treat myself and get a 250gb..

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
C'mon, ya need like at least 500 gb for a desktop computer. I have 250 gb on my netbook and its already getting full up with stuff. Games are massive nowadays in file sizes.

Yar, and a 1TB HDD is dirt cheap too, but it's RainPilot's choice. If he won't listen to reason, he'll learn the hard way, Hohohoho!

Anyhow, here's a simple build. It's AMD (which is usually my chipset of choice nowadays), part of it is their 'Vision' kit. It's a AM3 motherboard, so it should accept Bulldozer further down the road (Bulldozer is AMD's new CPU). The main faults I have with it, is the ugly case (which is subjective) and the 550 watt PSU (which, to be fair, is probably more than enough for your present and next couple of years needs).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.683104
Phenom II X6 VISION
$437.99
Includes:
COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case (Model:RC-330-KKN1-GP)
ASUS M4A88T-M LE AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard (Model:M4A88T-M LE)
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-550-PCAR-E3 550W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor HDT90ZFBGRBOX
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (Model:F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ)
Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Model:ST1500DL003)
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 (Model:iHAS124-04)

XFX Radeon 6790 $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150534

20" Monitor, built-in speakers $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254055

USB keyboard $6.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201028

Mouse $13.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146002

Total: $708.95
Not a bad system, at a reasonable price. I didn't include the OS cost, because it sounds like Fujin has you covered there. The monitor is nice because it has built-in speakers, so that will save you a bit. Also, the keyboard and mouse are nothing special, but I believe the mouse has 6 buttons, so it's not totally useless for gaming. Upgrade path is decent, as I mentioned the Mobo will support Bulldozer (with a BIOS update), so you're covered in the CPU department, you'll likely want to upgrade the GPU for something beefier too.

Anyhow, since Fujin is building it for you, make sure to watch him, you'll realize it's fairly simple to build a PC and having someone experienced help you with the build is something that poor Seymour never got. So take advantage of it!

One thing you could do to save money is to hold off on the GPU. The motherboard has a built-in GPU (mind you, it's not great for gaming), but if you could hold off until your $1000 comes in, you could buy yourself a more powerful Radeon 6970 or even a 7000 series (if they're out by then). You could use the $149.99 with the $99.99 monitor cost for a nice 24" monitor and lower end speakers (or headphones).

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I'd probably be boned without my 1.5TB personally. But I have something like 150+ games currently installed, along with all my music, and a buttload of art stuff.

Also looking to upgrade soon myself, maybe I'll throw up my current specs sometime and see what should come first.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Yeah, I just found he's going to a local store: microcenter.com and he's going to get the parts their. I'll post the specs as soon as he hits me with them, I'm looking for you guys to post pro's/con's and see if you can beat the build.

BTW: Seymour, that's a mighty powerful build! The CPU should be way over plenty for any of my CPU needs. Although I could swap out the GPU soon.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
BTW: Seymour, that's a mighty powerful build! The CPU should be way over plenty for any of my CPU needs. Although I could swap out the GPU soon.

Having a 6-core CPU actually hurts the GPU in frame rates. I have no idea how, but it does. Don't trust my word though, do some research!

RainPilot

stinky bear
Yeah I remember seeing something like that, I'm hoping Fujin knows stuff like this. I think a decent quadcore is sufficient. Plus I've heard that some hexa-cores sound like 'banshees' screaming.

RainPilot

stinky bear
It's cramped because it's a mATX case. Personally, I'd prefer the breathing room a mid-tower would provide, but to each their own!
Yeah, I'll talk to him. plus the 500gb was already kinda forced, i'll see what I can do. what about the CPU and mobo? Is the mobo open for upgrades?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, the mobo's decent, once you have the money for it, a i5 processor would fit in there nicely. Not sure if it will have the longevity of the AM3 boards, but with that said, Core i7's at the top end and would last you quite awhile if you went that route.

The Vulcan, while not the easiest case to use, is a nice, portable case. It'd make it easier to bring all of your LAN equipment to djfaith's, for example. However, here's a nice midtower that offers some solid features at the same price as the Vulcan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815008

RainPilot

stinky bear
Yar, the mobo's decent, once you have the money for it, a i5 processor would fit in there nicely. Not sure if it will have the longevity of the AM3 boards, but with that said, Core i7's at the top end and would last you quite awhile if you went that route.

The Vulcan, while not the easiest case to use, is a nice, portable case. It'd make it easier to bring all of your LAN equipment to djfaith's, for example. However, here's a nice midtower that offers some solid features at the same price as the Vulcan.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815008
Nice, although the word on the street is that the 5770 is outdated as hell. What would happen if I jumped from an i7 and a new GFX in lets say.. a month? Would I have to change mobos?

Breaking news:

He didn't get the 5770, he got the 6770!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!