Reasonable /pricebuild for a computer

RainPilot

stinky bear
I don't know the price range, maximum is 1000. I want something that can run most new games at medium to high quality with ease. All I need is 250gb, I don't want an amazing soundcard, typical drives included. Must include everything from scratch including a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I don't want something insane that is overpowered for all the games with like 80gbs of ram and all.

Chi-Ro said 500, Fujin said 550. ( I make 50 a day and work 7 days a week,) I have 500 right now.

Important: THIS BUILD MUST BE OPEN TO UPGRADES, after you build it, tell me what's the first thing you would upgrade, and I will save my money for it. So If I start with a dual core, I might want to add some fans and get hexacore so I can have 100 tabs of nyan.cat running.

HVanquish

I would just get an average dual core with a good clock speed and a nice graphics card with 4-6 gigs of ram, probably being around 600-800 depending on what you get

BeefThief

Beefy Member
If you're planning on building it yourself (which is actually fairly easy), then you could get an excellent computer for $700. I built my own and it cost me probably about $600-$700, although I didn't have to purchase win7 since I got it from a friend. I can run Crysis 2 (enough proof?) at pretty much full graphics on DX9 (they recently added on DX11 along with high-res textures, which destroys my computer).

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The best way to make sure a build can be as 'future-proof' as possible, is to spend the largest amount of money on the motherboard, case and power supply, and the cpu. Other concerns are secondary after that, when you have more money, you can easily add an extra graphic card in (think ati 6-series on crossfire) upgrade ram and more hdd space. Even an optical drive.

RainPilot

stinky bear
Yeah, I mean I want to get a normal graphics card and then after a month or so I'll have enough money to get a really nice one, although I'd probably be stacking because I'd have a nice GPU and a normal CPU. So whats a reasonable price for a GPU and CPU upgrade AFTER the initial build (Btw Fujin is building it for me and he's going to deliver it, legions meet up!)

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
For CPU, I'd either end up going for a Intel i5 chip, or an AMD quad (and then try and overclock the amd). If you've got any money to spare on the build, make sure it's spent on the CPU, and if possible, try and get a sandy bridge i5.

As for the GPU, I'm planning to get a 6-series ati, just over 100 if possible (£), then whack out the big guns and get a HD6950. I hear good things about that card.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

if that was 1000 in pounds id look into alianware tech :D.... i wouldnt overclock unless you really know what your doing cos now theres an acual programme that comes with mobo's and there lame they crash them more than the old ones iv tried to overclock 3 times and it failed badly but cos there are programes with it it can go bck to factory setings easily

MightySheep

imo quad core isn't really necessary I am running AMD Athlon X2 3.0ghz and I never see any cpu issues or need more than 2 cores

I also have 4GB RAM which seems to be plenty

though my gfx card is not great though which was is annoying but the pc was only £360 ($580)

it is stupid when people spend assloads of money of an super powerful pc which is just plain unecessary, my specs are probably all you need to play whatever games you play on good settings

I would suggest getting a decent Nvidia gfx card, ATI is good but it has so many bugs and problems with games

you should get a nice wide monitor too :)

RainPilot

stinky bear
It's in dollars. I'll talk to Fujin about it when I get all my money. Yours was pre-built and that was some time ago, sometimes building it yourself is cheaper and the prices go down/up after some time.

Get me in on this!
If you want to meet up with us, that's cool. Again, I dunno what we're doing, we might get something to eat or just go our own ways. If you're serious, PM me. You might be able to bum a ride off Fujin!

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
bear in mind that if your going to get a second GPU then it needs to be either the exact same model for Nvidia cards or in the same hundred series for AMD cards (e.g. 69xx), so buying a crappy GPU then getting a better one later is not going to allow you to run them side by side and will make the first GPU a waste.

if you want to run multiple GPUs you probably want to get a motherboard with two PCI x16 slots as well because having one with a PCI x16 and a PCI 16 (x4 or x8 bandwidth) will really limit the GPU.

the review for the radeon 6950 do look really good, as well as being a reasonable price (compared to the radeon 6990 and Geforce GTX 590 XD). i would recommend one of those.

also for a processor i would recommend an intel i5 2500 sandy bridge (also sometimes mentioned as slot 1155) although an AMD phenom X4 would also do if you have a tight(er) budget.

this sorta stuff should run most games really well for at least the next 5 years, but you never know with games.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I said $600 for the record, RainP just got confused.

That's gonna be tough to make, and he's gonna have to sacrifice any kind of customization that a $900-$1000 can offer.

If that's the case, I'd go for a cheap case, AMD processor, ATI graphics or something even cheaper.

RainPilot

stinky bear
That's gonna be tough to make, and he's gonna have to sacrifice any kind of customization that a $900-$1000 can offer.

If that's the case, I'd go for a cheap case, AMD processor, ATI graphics or something even cheaper.
Maybe fujin can pull some magic :(

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
yeah, if your going for a budget machine it's pretty much not worth going to the extra effort to build.