Reasonable /pricebuild for a computer

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster

they have changed the way the recent 6950's are made so flashing to 6970 cannot be done. you'll end up either bricking it or wasting your time (probably the first one)

I'll just have dual 6950's and be able to destroy any game out there. I think I am going to get an aftermarket cooler too and just make things cold so I can OC my CPU.

EDIT: 8gb RAM is freaking useless. I'll barely use 3GB at the most, if I need more, RAM is cheap as hell and I can pick some up with my rebate.

make sure you have a Mobo with dual x16 PCI-E slots then! (ones with a reduced bandwidth x16 PCI-E slots will severely reduce the speed of crossfire, to the point of making it a waste of money.)
also Xfireing a 6950 with a 6970 will underclock the 6970 to the 6950's speed, so i wouldn't try to get an increase in performance by buying a better GPU to Xfire with either, even if you can.

and if you do plan on playing crysis and other high spec games i would recommend going over 4GB of RAM. also if you plan on getting a reasonable amount of RAM then upgrading remember you will need to get the same type (preferably the exact same model if you can) which is why its better to buy in pairs/threes if your Mobo supports it.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
I'm not going to get a 6970 since a 6970 isn't that much of a leap forward from a 6950, I think a 6950 is better when it comes to price/performance anyway.

I'll make sure to check my mobo too. 750w SHOULD be enough for xfire right?

probably - http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

be generous with the amount of things you will have attached, then add 50w to be safe. i guessed what you might have and it came up with 691w.
bear in mind that if you buy a cheap PSU it probably won't actually give you the performance you want (and even has the possibility of damaging components).

I would recommend getting a CPU that are manufactured by Seasonic (corsair, antic, XFX and PC power & cooling are often rebranded seasonic units)

do NOT skimp out on your PSU, a good PSU would not only be quieter, but much more efficient and safer for your components.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&Tpk=seasonic 750w <- good reviews, Silver Rating, but more power than you need unless you plan on OC'ing and upgrading in the future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&Tpk=seasonic 750w <- very highly rated, GOLD rated efficiency.

RainPilot

stinky bear
I'm getting the i5 2500k locally at a microcenter for 180, 40 dollar less. I'm getting the 6950 for 260 probably and that leaves 660 dollars for: mobo, PSU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, HD, RAM, and case.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
I'm getting the i5 2500k locally at a microcenter for 180, 40 dollar less. I'm getting the 6950 for 260 probably and that leaves 660 dollars for: mobo, PSU, monitor, keyboard, mouse, optical drive, HD, RAM, and case.

you don't need a 2500k unless you plan on OC'ing. a 1TB HDD will do you fine, as for a DVD drive you can probably spend ~$25 and get a blu ray drive later if you want.

look at the PSU's i posted earlier.

for a Mobo you would probably want a Gigabyte/ASUS/MSI one, if you plan on getting Xfire you will want one with two PCI-e x16 slots (if it says x4 bandwidth after, it doesn't count although x8 bandwidth will probably do)
This will probably cost at least $160 and you probably want a P67 Motherboard. (but you will need a graphics card)

RAM can be anywhere from 4-8GB and you probably want 1333mhz, but if you see a small price difference between it and 1600mhz ram, go for the 1600mhz.

as for a case you probably want a nice tower as it's easier for the person building it as well as getting better airflow. you also want a bigger fan rather than lots of little ones as it's a lot quieter.

RainPilot

stinky bear

Yeah, I'm going to wait until the cash in in my hand (monday) until I tell Fujin to start ordering stuff. Me, him, and some really smart guy I met who knows his stuff are going to be ordering the parts and making sure they are exactly what I need/want.

Prices change.