Reasonable /pricebuild for a computer

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Nice, although the word on the street is that the 5770 is outdated as hell. What would happen if I jumped from an i7 and a new GFX in lets say.. a month? Would I have to change mobos?

Yeah, 5770 is quite old now, but it should run lower resolutions quite well. With that said, you might be better served with a 6870 (About $165-200ish), it's what I'm currently using and I haven't experienced many FPS issues (gaming @ 1920x1080). And, yeah, you'll have no problem running a i7 on that board, just make sure it's a compatible i7 (1155 chipset, I believe). Seymour can help you out when it comes time to choose a new CPU.

My biggest concern would be that 500w PSU. It's a quality PSU, but you might want some more breathing room for future upgrades. Here's a Corsair 750 watt PSU at $129.99, which may seem steep, but a quality PSU can last you a long time.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
Would this build be easy to upgrade to liquid cooling?

you don't need it, and its not easy to implement. also while very small, the possibility of leaks is something you should consider.
unless you are overclocking i would not say it's worth it.

your PSU is also too small for your GPU, as it says on the AMD website a 500w+ is recommended.

i would say get a 600w-700w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139024&Tpk=corsair 700w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

the i5 is a good choice however (you shouldn't need to upgrade to the i7 as it wouldn't effect gaming as much as a better graphics card or SSD) and your hard drive may eventually start to feel cramped.

your motherboard is a good choice (asus are a good make) but bear in mind if you want multiple GPUs it will severely limit the second GPU to the point of it not being worth it at all.
But to be honest you will probably not need a second GPU, but instead i would recommend getting a new GPU when your computer gets slow in games.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux

Liquid cooling is stupid, expensive, and you should never ever need it unless you are building a beast of a computer that generates so much heat water cooling is the only way to do it.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Liquid cooling is stupid, expensive, and you should never ever need it unless you are building a beast of a computer that generates so much heat water cooling is the only way to do it.

Custom water cooling will earn you insta-nerd cred, though! And there are some beautiful custom water cooled systems out there.

Actually, there are some decent (and moderately priced) closed water cooling loops now. The Corsair H50-60-70-80's and the Antec Kuhler's spring to mind. I'm thinking of getting one at some point for my PC.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Custom water cooling will earn you insta-nerd cred, though! And there are some beautiful custom water cooled systems out there.

Actually, there are some decent (and moderately priced) closed water cooling loops now. The Corsair H50-60-70-80's and the Antec Kuhler's spring to mind. I'm thinking of getting one at some point for my PC.

True enough, I just really don't find it useful, especially when fans just seem to be more cost effective.

D

Doom Of Neroflame

less noisey ...my uncle has a cooler in his machine and his is lower spec machine than mine ...temp wise mines only a tiny bit warmer than his when we run heavy games and i only use 2 fans

DKnight556

I am trying to choose a cpu for my new computer. Should I go with the i7 or wait for the AMD Bulldozer that comes out in 2 months?

RainPilot

stinky bear
Seymour:

AMD= bad cpu, good graphics.
Intel = good cpu, bad graphics

HMMMMMMMM

Also, fps in legions with your card? Can the 6870 run DX11 smoothly?

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
AMDs don't make 'bad' CPUs, sure their top end are nowhere near Intel's top end, but their price/performance is quite good (and Seymour's very thrifty). Another quality about AMD that Seymour likes is their chipsets normally have decent longevity, backwards compatibility is a handy feature. When Seymour was a teenager, I too, would only buy Intel chipsets (saved a lot of money to build a Pentium 4 based system). Looking back, I wish I would've been more thrifty in my builds.

As for the FPS in Legions with the 6870, I'd say it's quite good. I haven't ran a program to check the FPS averages, but I've never felt a need to. As for performance in other games, check out this review article:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/21/amd_radeon_hd_6870_6850_video_card_review

RainPilot

stinky bear
AMDs don't make 'bad' CPUs, sure their top end are nowhere near Intel's top end, but their price/performance is quite good (and Seymour's very thrifty). Another quality about AMD that Seymour likes is their chipsets normally have decent longevity, backwards compatibility is a handy feature. When Seymour was a teenager, I too, would only buy Intel chipsets (saved a lot of money to build a Pentium 4 based system). Looking back, I wish I would've been more thrifty in my builds.

As for the FPS in Legions with the 6870, I'd say it's quite good. I haven't ran a program to check the FPS averages, but I've never felt a need to. As for performance in other games, check out this review article:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/10/21/amd_radeon_hd_6870_6850_video_card_review
You don't need a test, just hit Ctr + F and tell me what you get just skiing...

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
How come beef's get more :<????

I dunno, when you start to get that high FPS, does it really matter? Also, Seymour's running at 1920x1080, I think that's a respectable FPS for this resolution! Also, Gamethief19 is an intimidating character, probably bullied that 5770 into performing beyond its boundaries!

The AMD bulldozer is announced to have and octo-core and have a benchmark of 3.5ghz. It is supposed to out preform the i7. The price has yet to be announced though :(

I dunno, everything I've read so far has been 'estimations' and whatnot. I'd be quite surprised (happily, mind you) if Bulldozer performs on par or exceeds with Intel's high end. I'm just hoping for a sizable performance upgrade over the Phenom IIs, that would make Seymour quite happy.