Mortar, Grenade, Blaster Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metreon

I do like the increased specialization of the weapons. The grenade bounce is balanced out very well by the blaster, which fills the old niche. Plasma is at a point I like too, though the plasma bolt sprites seem to fly out of my character's head instead of the gun when I'm moving fast.

Bolt MA tracking is back. This I like.

Clusters- a bit overpowered, I would say. I would suggest keeping the amount of cluster bomblets that the GLII currently shoots, but perhaps reduce the damage a bit. (As it stands, it does make a good anti-Sent weapon.) Alternatively, instead of altering the GLII, perhaps make the GLII raiders carry only one other gun, (Bolt or RL, I'd suggest) like the old sniper raider used to have.

To "specialize" the plasma and CG a bit more, perhaps an increase in CG accuracy would be good (like the old CGII, except with the same heatup rate is the current CG packs.) This would make it better for chasing- something plasma isn't good for. Plasma's splash damage, spray, instant fire, and the fact it still fires when overheated make it a far better dueling weapon (in my humble opinion.)

I do like this trend towards specialization and this update fixed a lot of my beefs- all of these guns have their own purposes now. Good work, fellas.

Reactions: Aki

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Do you want to make gameplay slower or faster?
I want to add depth in the end, so as a result it may become a tad slower in order to realize that but hopefully only small degrees. However, with these changes I would expect to see the same pace of action if not more due to more offensive tactics possible. In the end I want to keep the Legions pace up, so that means not a huge change in either direction.

Armageddon

Teapot
lovinit.jpg

MJ1284

I haven't tested these new weapons much, but I like the idea of bringing back The Infamous Green Ball of Death (now Sentinels actually feel like Heavies). I'm not too fond of Blaster (mostly due to open-air flagstands) nor GLII on Raider, but maybe I'll change my mind when I've tested them more and/or they get tweaked.

I've got another suggestion for Sentinel: How about giving Sentinels dual Gatling Guns? Not dual Chain Guns, mind you, main difference between Chain and Gatling would be following:

Chain:
+ More accurate
+ Lower overheat
+ Short windup time
- Less ammo
- Lower RoF

Gatling:
+ Higher RoF
+ Higher ammo count
- Higher spread
- Slightly longer windup time compared to Chaingun
- Higher recoil/overheat rate
- lowers movement speed due to weapons weight & firing recoil

Why? Just for the heck of it, Gatling Gun would be more of a AA defense turret whereas Chain Gun would remain as superior dueling/chasing weapon. Or rather, Chain Gun would be equivalent to Sub Machine Gun whereas Gatling Gun would be equivalent to... well, mounted Machine Gun.
Basically Gatling Gun would be effective way to spray bullets on incoming cappers & enemy offense but not so good at chasing, while Chain Gun would be decent at spraying bullets but better for chasing where short & accurate bursts are used to whittle down flag carriers.

And before you start shouting "That'd make BB'ing to OPed", I'd like to remind you it's Senti ONLY weapon and not that effective in Senti Capping.

Mahidhar

Here's what I think should happen to the GL. Since most people now think of using it as a chasing weapon, I think that it could fulfill that role, without being overpowered, in a different situation.

Chasing does not just consist of killing the flag carrier, with a certain type of weapon. The main priority is to stop the Capper, from reaching his base. Therefore, tactics like; slowing down the Capper by landing a grenade in front of him, or landing it right next to him, so he will hit an obstacle on the other side(example Zenith front route) etc. Now, this has become very easy, with the current GL, as the RoF has been increased, tremendously. The current impulse effect, in my opinion, is sufficient for that. What needs to happen, is that the range of the impulse must be made larger, and damage, shorter. The sum of the damage of grenades(in Public Test) should atleast be equivalent to the damage of each grenade of the original GL, per second. For example, if we assume that for every 5 seconds, the original GL shoots 3 grenades, and the public test one shoots 6. The sum of the damage of the 6 grenades of the PT GL should be equal to that of the 3 grenades of the original, shot in 5 seconds. That's ideal compensation, in my opinion.

By increasing the impulse range, some may think that the GL would be overpowered, in terms of disrupting Cappers, but there is also the down side of boosting the enemy Capper, if the shot isn't properly made.

Trundle

IMO the rate of fire on the GLII is a tad fast. I say this because I love it so it must be wrong. Damage should stay as I think there should be a runner up to the mortar. Awesome Sent killer as is.
Like the arc/range. The cluster aspect doesn't seem to bad. Not OMG powerful, plain weak if too spread and nasty if Cone of Death;d properly.

Mortar can be short ranged too easily IMO.

Abandoned

Keep switching from RL once I fired one of the rockets. Shoot a grenade and bounces straight off.

I don't see why the firerate was increased for the GrenadeLauncher. You could just spam the whole 16 nades onto the stand, wrecking havoc until your capper comes along.

Manbreakfast

Hey, new guy here. I cant log in to the test server. was the password changed? I'm still putting in mortar and it says incorrect

MJ1284

Make sure you don't get the private test servers and public test servers mixed up.
Hey, new guy here. I cant log in to the test server. was the password changed? I'm still putting in mortar and it says incorrect

It's pretty easy to mix those up, to clarify:
Private test server = for Private Testers ONLY
Public test server = free for all who input correct password (mentioned in blog)

skypredator

MJ, I'm sorry, but I disagree with you as far as keeping the Gatling gun Senti only. Senti's get everything the Raider and OR's don't get. It's not fair for us non-Senti users. Come on, as if iOD, the Mortar, and insane armor isn't enough for one class. The Gatling gun should be on the Raider and OR, not the Senti. Also, I'd much rather go with a RL over the Plasma or BR, the CG over the Plasma, and the RL or LR over the bolt. The BR, Bolt, and Plasma were made to do jobs that the RL, LR, and CG can already do, and much faster. The only new weapons I like are the new GLII and the Mortar. Reduce the plasma ammo size to make it less bubbly, and increase the speed on that thing and bam, people may start using it. And I wholeheartedly agree, before I was an IA member I dreamt of a game like Legions. Little did I know that those pesky IA ads were actually advertising for Legions. We should make a FB page, or something of the sort.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
It's not fair for us non-Senti users. Come on, as if iOD, the Mortar, and insane armor isn't enough for one class.

But are incredibly easy to kill because they're slow? Humm. As far as specislist weapons per class goes:

Heavy: Mortar
Medium: Cluster
Light: Sniper Rifle

Are you going to turn round and say that the sniper rifle should be on the raider now as well?

tyler137

Okay the mortar needs less damage...either that or make it where it leaves light armors with a little bit of health. Honestly i like the blaster but I cant use it anywhere but in indoors (yes I know that's the purpose of it) make it a little bit faster. I love the Merc class!

MJ, I'm sorry, but I disagree with you as far as keeping the Gatling gun Senti only. Senti's get everything the Raider and OR's don't get. It's not fair for us non-Senti users. Come on, as if iOD, the Mortar, and insane armor isn't enough for one class. The Gatling gun should be on the Raider and OR, not the Senti. Also, I'd much rather go with a RL over the Plasma or BR, the CG over the Plasma, and the RL or LR over the bolt. The BR, Bolt, and Plasma were made to do jobs that the RL, LR, and CG can already do, and much faster. The only new weapons I like are the new GLII and the Mortar. Reduce the plasma ammo size to make it less bubbly, and increase the speed on that thing and bam, people may start using it. And I wholeheartedly agree, before I was an IA member I dreamt of a game like Legions. Little did I know that those pesky IA ads were actually advertising for Legions. We should make a FB page, or something of the sort.
isn't the chaingun pretty much a gatling gun?

isn't the chaingun pretty much a gatling gun?
oh and i miss the rocketeer class

tyler137

Instead of a boost grenade I want a blastwave (you make up the name) grenade that will blow up and and throw the enemy in the opposite direction. Also, I would like it to do very little damage. But the tough part is I think it should be a sticky grenade that will stick when you hit somebody MA with a grenade or when you throw it on the ground it won't roll or bounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.