Mortar, Grenade, Blaster Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
The point isn't that I get shot up alot. It's that close ranged mortars are making hofs feel a little op atm. I'm willing to give it a week and see how it goes, but heaven forbid I'm not acquainted with getting one-shotted.
Same comment applies. :p

blu

Cluster is too OP on raiders. Was ok with reduced damage, but not now. :(

I agree, I liked the cluster better with the reduced damage. Everything else seems fine. I think the mortar is right where it needs to be... and I like where the blaster is now. Don't care too much for the plasma gun, but I think the damage is right where it needs to be on it.

Nice job devs!

Karnage

Private Tester
I really don't understand how that GL made it into the public test. It is so obviously designed for cappers who want to come in and spam the flag stand as they descend. It is waaaaaaaaaaay OP with that reload time. That said, I have to add that the mortar is a lot better now. I feel like I can work with it and I won't miss my clusters too much.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Might actually try the blaster now, still seems like the one out of tribes and it should possibly eat up energy instead of ammo to perhaps add variety to the game.

Have you even played tribes? The blaster in tribes (both t1 and t2) is nothing like the one we have now.

Immanent

The rate of fire is like hotswap, seriously. Any no brainer high pinger can just spam the flag stand. If 2 or more do it, a front route will leave the base with no more than 20% assuming they are raider.

Disci

Old man
Blaster in Tribes was one of the most useless weapons due the energy drain. It was actually very funny weapon but still most of the time I and many others tossed it away right on respawn.

I really don't understand how that GL made it into the public test. It is so obviously designed for cappers who want to come in and spam the flag stand as they descend. It is waaaaaaaaaaay OP with that reload time.

Do you sit on the flag and get spammed away? I wouldn't do that even the GL's RoF would be the same as it used to be.

Tribby

First off I’d like to thank all the devs for putting their efforts into improving this game. I really love all the activity and patches around this game. Its active, changing and alive.

But the developers must not lose sight of what’s important, this hasn’t happened yet but i still want to warn you about this.

What’s important is control. Legions resolves around control, everything is very direct and responsive. There are no 'filters' in between your keyboard/mouse input and what happens in the game. There is no leveling, no experience system and no randomness. The game just does exactly what you tell it to do.

Because of that the game is all about player skill. Because it’s all about player skill the game is highly competitive and that is what legions is all about. Don't you ever forget that!

The reason I’m mentioning this is because some of these new changes are tilting in the wrong direction (spammyness).

Now for these new weapons…

Nades
Love them, choosing between boost and more damage really adds an extra dimension to the game.
The new nade models are awesome and the sound effect for the frag nade feels good.

Going slightly off topic here...

Few months are nades received a nerf, flag carriers were no longer able to use nades.
To my understanding this was done to prevent players from doing nade jump with the flag quickly getting away. The problem lies in the nade combo not the nade itself, there is nothing wrong/overpowered about using nades with the flag.

So why didn’t the combo get disabled while carrying the flag? instead of disabling nades altogether.

Bolt
Imo the concept of this weapon isn’t all that great.

The sniper is already a much better 'railgun' and i don’t see anyone using this over the rocket launcher.

Blaster
On its own this weapon is pretty cool, nice sound effect and the blaster particle looks good. This weapon is designed for indoor use but 99.99% of the game takes place outside. The game isn’t quite ready for indoor gameplay just yet, there is really no point going inside your base except for getting ammo.

Until we have destructible 'modules' this weapon is probably useless. No one will use it over the rocket launcher(except for fooling around maybe). Until we have more indoor gameplay I think this weapon should not be added because it’s just noise.

Plasma
Pointless weapon, not very effective at all but quite fun to use because it gives you a slight boost.
It feels a bit spammy because the plasma particles are so big. The hardest part in using this weapon is trying to track your opponent through the plasma particles.

Cool weapon to mess around with but in the end not very useful, I don’t see anyone using this over the normal chaingun.

Mortar
Awesome concept this will fit right it, haven’t looked at the new changes yet but it needed some tweaking before.

Overall these changes are pretty cool but the good parts don't make up for the bad parts. The only changes that make sense in my mind are the mortar and nades. Rest of them just don’t feel like they belong.

Adding a new weapon to a game like this is a daring exercise because it can have such a massive impact on gameplay. Please think long and hard before adding any of these weapon to the live servers, don’t add content for the sake of adding content. Improvement is good, new stuff can potentially be bad.

Going off topic again, but there is some stuff that concerns me.

New players
I can’t help but notice there are hardly any new players entering the game. This is because no one knows about this games existence.

I’m confident there are a lot of people out there who are just waiting for a game like this to come out. But because it isn’t mainstream it doesn’t end up on gamers website/magazines and people simply don’t hear from it.

This really is the best game you never heard of. What Crysis 2 is for graphics legions is for gameplay.

The website
The current website is also part of the problem why hardly any new players enter the game.
The site doesn’t explain anything about the game, there are no videos, no screenshot and no descriptions about the game whatsoever.

There should be some more appealing content on the website showing how awesome legions really is.

We need to put this game on the map!

GReaper

Grumpy
New players
I can’t help but notice there are hardly any new players entering the game. This is because no one knows about this games existence.

I’m confident there are a lot of people out there who are just waiting for a game like this to come out. But because it isn’t mainstream it doesn’t end up on gamers website/magazines and people simply don’t hear from it.

This really is the best game you never heard of. What Crysis 2 is for graphics legions is for gameplay.

The website
The current website is also part of the problem why hardly any new players enter the game.
The site doesn’t explain anything about the game, there are no videos, no screenshot and no descriptions about the game whatsoever.

There should be some more appealing content on the website showing how awesome legions really is.

We need to put this game on the map!

Off topic, put this in another thread if you want to discuss it.

BestCharmie

Mortar
It's more better, rather than the old very long detonation time mortar. It's more capable of traps, chasing and others.

Cluster
I didn't really test it out.

Blaster
More splash = more charmie damage.

Plasma
YAY! I GOT MYSELF A NEW CHAINGUN! Love it.

Mahidhar

I did not test out all the weapons, except a couple or more. Firstly, I am liking the new GLII(obviously, this isn't surprising at all), but it still felt out of place. With the damage values of the old GLII, it's definitely making a difference, but also makes the cluster side of it kinda pointless.

I'd like to suggest a different type of cluster for the GLII. Since the damage is already to it's maximum, in it's normal state, I believe the cluster can be used in a different manner. One way, is to completely remove the damage(or make it so it has the minimum damage) on the cluster, and increase it's impulse significantly. This way, I think it would be an interesting weapon for LO to clear the base for a few moments, for Cappers to clear the flag stand, for LD to disrupt incoming Cappers etc. Remember, it will not do any damage on release, just the knock-back is applied. This would only work at it's full potential, when the compressed release(releasing the clusters at just above the ground) is done. We could also give it a wave type visual effect, instead of sparks, to make it look real.

I've also played with the Mortar today, and I think it's quite close to being perfect. I feel that some factor to the weapon is missing, but I couldn't figure it out yet. I've decided to play as a heavy more often, so I should be able to come up with some ideas, soon.

The GL-I seems unusual. First thing I didn't understand is why the RoF was increased while keeping the damage of the projectile constant. In all the games, I've played so far, no weapon with a rapid fire also had the ability to do high amounts of damage. In any case, I do not see it's purpose.

Disci

Old man
GL is excelent for chasing. Been doing that today and I must say I'm impressed. I'm so impressed, that I suggest the RoF being slightly decreased. Just a bit not too much. Incredible chasing weapon but for clearing it's just too powerful. Maybe because people still sits next to the flag and doesn't care if they get *danced* by grens few maps in a row. We have to wait till people figure out, that best place to defend is not exactly on top of the flag. I will report back after that happens.

Karnage

Private Tester
Anyone would be an idiot to stand on the flag with that RoF coming at them. Standing on the flag can be very effective if you know how to do it. I will report back when people learn that it is the best place to defend as a heavy.

Noober

Imho the mortar detonation must be timed.. sentinel can now shot a mortar on his feet and kill a fc in one shot...

phanakapan

Private Tester
I think the mortar is pretty close to perfect now, with one glaring exception: you shouldn't be able to point blank MA people. The Mortar should have a minimum arming time that prevents midairs and direct shots closer than 80 or 100m. This would be a pretty short timer, but it should be there. The weapon is scary enough without being able to one shot people at close range.

I think the rof for the GL is pretty much perfect for chasing, but it may be a touch too fast for clearing. I don't think this is something we need to try to balance right now though, since defensive positioning is a lot easier to adjust than trying to keep it optimally effective for both capping and clearing. i think it needs more testing before further changes are made. The only change I would make right now would be visual. I think we should shorten the trail of the grenade. It's currently a little difficult to tell how many nades are coming at you or coming from you because the trails seem to blend together. In general the trails have always seemed a little long.

Status
Not open for further replies.