Frag Grenade Discussion Thread

Redvan

Private Tester
Dude, you just HATE splash, don't you? =)
that is true :)

It would be tremendously foolish to base map design around one thing, but in general, larger maps are more paced, and would achieve what you're talking about here. I agree that if nades become a problem, reducing the amount makes a lot of sense -- perhaps 5/4/3? I wouldn't want to stick an outrider with just 2, because you want to be able to use them for both offensive tactics and maneuverability.
I'd be down with 5/4/3. Like I said, I'd hate to reduce the # of nades people have, because they do add a few elements to gameplay that are useful/fun.

Nades right now are pretty darned bouncy. That bounciness creates chaos, and may well be related to the spamminess you feel is present, but it also creates difficulty. Increasing the fuse time for nades is an option, but that would just mean nades will have more time to bounce around in random directions, and thus, become even more chaotic.
I agree with this, not something I thought of as I was posting before. However, fuse time and bounciness are separate values and can be adjusted as such. So technically you could increase fuse time and decrease bounciness, but perhaps decreasing bounciness would be enough to decrease chaos.

I think this is the crux of your distaste for nades in their current form. As you admit, you were never a fan of splash.

A couple points need to be made.
  1. Grenades are splash damage weapons. It is their defining characteristic. Just sayin'.
  2. Given their high bounce and timed fuse (that is, they don't go off until that fuse it up or they've been shot), nades are very much air-burst weapons, and given the speeds at which we move through the air, having splash in the air is kinda critical to their usefulness. Otherwise they'd only be useful on direct hits, and if you're going to direct hit a player, you might as well do it with any of the other weapons. Nades are support tools; they're there to keep the enemy thinking or to drive your foes in certain directions, setting them up for MAs. If nades didn't have enough splash to make them worrisome, enemies wouldn't bother trying to dodge them as much as they do.
The way I look at it is that nades are easy to avoid in their current state, unless being spammed around a small base. So, decreasing splash would decrease the spamminess in bases, but, would not really change anything else, because in most other situations, they're avoidable with the current splash value.

Absolutely not. You completely remove their usefulness as mobility tools if you do that, and right now one of the best aspects of grenades is their enhancement to mobility.
From what I understand, damage and knockback are separate values. Thus, you could keep the knockback for close range combos, but decrease splash spam by not having any damage value until after a certain amount of time/distance. That would keep the mobility aspect but decrease the spam aspect.

#4 is out, and like you said, longer range combos become prohibitively difficult with reduces hitbox size.
Wasn't a big fan of reduced hitbox sizes in the first place, just an idea thrown out there.

Overall, bud, if you're having trouble with splash, practice your energy management so you can stay airborne longer, and back off from your targets. Whenever I get into close combat with someone, I invariably lose; if I remember to keep my distance and time my touchdowns so they happen during my enemies' reload periods, my enemy gets a much greater challenge out of me.
I think it's safe to say I'm pretty dam good at energy management. That's not really the factor here. Also, how much distance do you expect to keep on a base like nivo or moon? There is no distance. No matter how good one is with energy management, they'll die in no time when playing LO vs a competent D. Like I said here:
D is at home. They spawn right there, they generally have more D than the enemy has LO. LO will generally have much less energy due to the jet up to the base, whereas D is just waiting with a full bar of energy... need I go on? D has huge advantages already.

I'm noticing more and more people are starting to bind their nade keys, which is, as I suspected, greatly increasing the spam in bases. Add to that how extremely easy it is to combo... IMO Nades were an excessive buff to D. They are fun, but, I think they should be looked at more to prevent the game from becoming spamtardtastic.
The issue isn't going to be fixed by energy management.

Think of it this way: Before nades, there was a bubble over a base where splash would reach, but, that bubble was fairly easy to stay out of. D already had a huge advantage with this size bubble. Adding nades increased the size of that "splash bubble" which makes it much more difficult to stay out side of, thus, giving D an even larger buff. Think about it, before you could sit on the outside ledge of a base and be fairly safe. They cant splash you, they need to come around the corner to hit you. Now, they simply toss a nade over the side and combo it, splashing you, making you have to move or die. Of course, as soon as you move, you're opening yourself up to more fire. Also, where before splash was concentrated on the ground, now it's not only on the ground, but also quite widespread in the air around a base. It's simply made D super easy.

I would say just revamp the maps with small bases to have bigger bases. That would essentially solve the problem. But, I cant imagine the dev team wanting to do that. So, if not the bases, then the nades should be reworked.

EDIT: also, this guy got it right:
Easier skill curve, as you've just described it, would therefore mean it takes less time/is easier to reach the skill cap. Now if I can refer you to my previous post:

The way I see it, most of the players who get discouraged, and quit, are probably looking for a game like COD. In COD you can jump right in and start getting frags, because COD takes very little skill to play. I think that people should realize that this isn't a game you can just pick up and play. Maybe tutorials would help, and I know there are some out there, but blaming the game is not the answer in my opinion.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I would say just revamp the maps with small bases to have bigger bases. That would essentially solve the problem. But, I cant imagine the dev team wanting to do that. So, if not the bases, then the nades should be reworked.

It's not worth spending our time revamping old maps, Red; building new bases and reworking the terrain to fit those bases takes a TON of effort, and if we're going to do that, we might as well just make new maps that aren't just balanced for nades, but for everything else we're planning on as well -- base assets, new weapons, etc. We keep Nivo and Moonshine around for nostalgia's sake, but we don't balance against them, and we certainly shouldn't be using them as examples of why something like nades might be broken. Nades may very well be broken on Nivo and Moonshine, but we don't care; we're not balancing ANY of our new content for any of those maps, because they're just too damned small.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
Nades may very well be broken on Nivo and Moonshine, but we don't care; we're not balancing ANY of our new content for any of those maps,

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but if this is the case why are they the only maps on the servers 75% of the time? They're bad.

I understand the whole amount of players thing, but why not just have a medium maps server like IA for people who don't want to play Nivo or Moon for the 300th time since Overdrive launched? Even more so knowing that you're not going to balance them for Grenades or any other improvement for that matter.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but if this is the case why are they the only maps on the servers 75% of the time? They're bad.

I understand the whole amount of players thing, but why not just have a medium maps server like IA for people who don't want to play Nivo or Moon for the 300th time since Overdrive launched? Even more so knowing that you're not going to balance them for Grenades or any other improvement for that matter.

I'm not sure if that's a real issue, or if that's simply perceived because we've all played Niv and Moon so many times. It's easy to go, "Niv, AGAIN?" whenever it comes up, even if it's coming up just as often as other maps.

But that aside, the problem with not having them in the rotation is that we don't have other maps to fill the gaps yet. We're working on them like our lives depend on it, but we don't have them yet. A Medium maps server could work, but playing only Gorge and Frost over and over would get just as dull.

Redvan

Private Tester
It's not worth spending our time revamping old maps, Red; building new bases and reworking the terrain to fit those bases takes a TON of effort, and if we're going to do that, we might as well just make new maps that aren't just balanced for nades, but for everything else we're planning on as well -- base assets, new weapons, etc. We keep Nivo and Moonshine around for nostalgia's sake, but we don't balance against them, and we certainly shouldn't be using them as examples of why something like nades might be broken. Nades may very well be broken on Nivo and Moonshine, but we don't care; we're not balancing ANY of our new content for any of those maps, because they're just too damned small.

[Chain-post, I know; I'll combine this and my post above together in a little bit, once folks have had the chance to respond if they so desire.]

I, for one, actually like both of those maps. Well, Nivo is my least fav (except for Core), but I like the fast pace of them. It requires players to be on their A game when playing at a fast pace. Perhaps a nade limit could be included for smaller maps? Say, 3 nades total for small maps? Can ammo limiting be done on a map to map basis?

It would be nice to keep them manageable, no point in throwing them to the wind just because we'll have new maps at some point.

Bounty

Private Tester
At the risk of divulging trade secrets, aside from being used to take out destructible inventory/ammo stations, generators and turrets - none of which currently exist in Legions - the primary function of grenades when dueling in Tribes was to guide your opponent into a more desirable position.

For instance, when facing off with someone midair with a structure to the right, you may want to chuck a grenade to the left of your opponent with the intent of causing them to instinctively dodge away toward the right. This positions them close to the structure, which you can use to your advantage for additional splash damage with rockets, in case you don't get that juicy MA.

Despite the fact that they cause minimal damage, most players WILL instinctively dodge a grenade if they see it coming, which makes it a useful little cattle prod.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
Yea, like bounty, I use grenades to position the enemy. It usually only hits them if they're out of energy or they aren't looking.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
I'm not sure if that's a real issue, or if that's simply perceived because we've all played Niv and Moon so many times. It's easy to go, "Niv, AGAIN?" whenever it comes up, even if it's coming up just as often as other maps.

Well, I know for me and almost everyone I play Legions with it's simply the fact we don't like Nivo or Moonshine. We haven't liked them since IA, and it's only gotten worse playing them over and over.

But that aside, the problem with not having them in the rotation is that we don't have other maps to fill the gaps yet. We're working on them like our lives depend on it, but we don't have them yet. A Medium maps server could work, but playing only Gorge and Frost over and over would get just as dull.

How about a Gorge, Frost, Zenith, and Core rotation then? You could also have one of the servers on a small maps rotation if people want. All it is would be to give people slightly more control over what they play.

Not the biggest problem Legions has, but also not the hardest to fix. Just my 2 cents.

/end off topic

Daphinicus

Private Tester
How about a Gorge, Frost, Zenith, and Core rotation then? You could also have one of the servers on a small maps rotation if people want. All it is would be to give people slightly more control over what they play.

Not the biggest problem Legions has, but also not the hardest to fix. Just my 2 cents.

I'd support this!

Application-1

test bester
It is I! Application-1 the guy that will revolutionise flag passing.

Only problem is that you can only press 3 buttons on your keyboard and you need 2 for the throw (flag+nade) so you can only jet up or walk in 1 direction while passing it. So maybe someone can make a script or something.

Redvan

Private Tester
Can we get rid of the Jump Pads now?
I actually used one on purpose and successfully today!

I was on one side of the base and a team mate dropped the falg on the other side, so i went *pop* on over there and got it before the bad guy did.

Pure4Pwnge

Lol van...I remember that. Also, I've been using nades very effectively for chases as they provide a MASSIVE speed boost especially on maps like Zenith and stuff.
(van, we need to pre-plan more drop/pick ups...>.> )

dx11101

the new grenade frankly sucks.....

If you played tribes 1 or tribes 2 then the grenade sucks even more because its that much more disappointing. If you have to take the time to occupy a finger to charge the damn thing up while you are in combat then make it worth doing. Most of us are not super elite pick up game stars that can hit people in the face with these current grenades. I agree with the person who started this thread 100 percent.

For those of you who are ignorant of what tribes 1 looked like, this is how badass grenades looked:

and why isnt their a mortar weapon for the heavy armor yet? The cluster grenade is the biggest piece of crap implementation of a heavy armor heavy weapon in the history of FPS+Z.

see, wasnt that fun to shoot?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
and why isnt their a mortar weapon for the heavy armor yet? The cluster grenade is the biggest piece of crap implementation of a heavy armor heavy weapon in the history of FPS+Z.

Introducing new weapons isn't just a matter of the gameplay programming; it's also modeling, animations, skinning, new particle effects, and so on and so forth. We've said on numerous occasions that we're working on new weapons. First they need to be prototyped, tested, and tweaked, and only after we're happy with how they PLAY do we say, "Okay, yes, this will be good in-game, let's put the art together to make it happen."

Not to mention the fact that introducing a mortar without other things like base assets would be a little odd; what's the point of having an uber-powerful blow-it-up weapon if you don't have anything to blow up? =)

Disci

Old man
the new grenade frankly sucks.....

If you played tribes 1 or tribes 2 then the grenade sucks even more because its that much more disappointing.

Actually, if you played Tribes1 in the beginning you'd know that the original handgrenade was almost exactly like the one we have here, tho it had smaller hitbox(can you call it like that?).You had to charge it too. I'm guessing you have started to play with some client that had max throw script in it and never knew how it was earlier.

Mabeline

God-Tier
Actually, if you played Tribes1 in the beginning you'd know that the original handgrenade was almost exactly like the one we have here, tho it had smaller hitbox(can you call it like that?).You had to charge it too. I'm guessing you have started to play with some client that had max throw script in it and never knew how it was earlier.
Not to mention there is a bindable max throw (it's not bound by default as it's a rather "advanced" feature). While I do love Tribes dearly, the game was slow and the weapons were spammy as hell. You move much faster in Legions, with way better netcode and much higher bandwidth/low latency internet connection. The game is completely different when it comes time to actually add features, and the balance is delicate.

If you don't like something, explain why. Just posting a video of someone spamming a grenade and saying "see how much better this is!?" is a slap in the face to the devs. If you don't like something and are going to make a post about it have the courtesy to explain why.