Frag Grenade Discussion Thread

dx11101

Actually, if you played Tribes1 in the beginning you'd know that the original handgrenade was almost exactly like the one we have here, tho it had smaller hitbox(can you call it like that?).You had to charge it too. I'm guessing you have started to play with some client that had max throw script in it and never knew how it was earlier.

I am not using a max throw script, my t1 client is unmodified with extra scripts like max throw. I do have to charge up, and the mod is called renegades which is what I mostly played because it was much faster than base.

phanakapan

Private Tester
The main difference between the t1 nade and this one is with the legions nade when you shoot it, it blows up, but the t1 nade didn't. The only issue I'm having with the nades is besides midair boosts to speed, there really isn't any other good use for them unless you're a class that doesn't have a chaingun. They're alright as midair finishers for hornet or bomber, but even direct hits barely do anything. The comboing seems more or less worthless as well since most of the time its easier to just MA a guy at the close ranges you can combo consistently. Even dead on combos don't do much damage. As it stands, I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't be more damage and more consistent without having to basically suicide to just toss the nade and MA the person.

Mostly I'm just annoyed they aren't a hybrid of the nade and mine from t1, allowing augmented damage from splash without the one shot kill and spam. One can always dream I guess...

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
The main difference between the t1 nade and this one is with the legions nade when you shoot it, it blows up, but the t1 nade didn't. The only issue I'm having with the nades is besides midair boosts to speed, there really isn't any other good use for them unless you're a class that doesn't have a chaingun. They're alright as midair finishers for hornet or bomber, but even direct hits barely do anything. The comboing seems more or less worthless as well since most of the time its easier to just MA a guy at the close ranges you can combo consistently. Even dead on combos don't do much damage. As it stands, I can't think of a situation where it wouldn't be more damage and more consistent without having to basically suicide to just toss the nade and MA the person.

I felt the same thing about them dueling, they work, but they don't really seem to do that much damage. Also an MA is easier, and more effective most of the time. But hey, maybe it's just me.

The only real use I've had for them thus far (other than MARJs which are really buggy and inconsistent for me) would be spamming flag stands, throwing them in peoples path midfield, and spamming in general. As to spamming flag stands I find them painfully OP. On D with a well timed nade and then a rocket it's more or less a one hit kill on anything, and that's just with one person doing it.

So I think it could still use tweaking.

MJ1284

The main difference between the t1 nade and this one is with the legions nade when you shoot it, it blows up, but the t1 nade didn't. The only issue I'm having with the nades is besides midair boosts to speed, there really isn't any other good use for them unless you're a class that doesn't have a chaingun. They're alright as midair finishers for hornet or bomber, but even direct hits barely do anything. The comboing seems more or less worthless as well since most of the time its easier to just MA a guy at the close ranges you can combo consistently.

I find it more effective to follow MA shot with nade that explodes little on top of my opponent, that way I get to generate small blastwave that forces enemy to land.. and gives me extra chance to ground pound before he can retaliate effectively.

Redvan

Private Tester
I felt the same thing about them dueling, they work, but they don't really seem to do that much damage. Also an MA is easier, and more effective most of the time. But hey, maybe it's just me.

I notice many players using combos as somewhat of a crutch. This is primarily close range, as combos are easy as hell close range, and far easier than MAs. People will just spam their nades out every time they reload and either hit the nade or the MA. Having the additional nade hitbox floating out there means there is a larger target as a whole of which they can hit to deal damage.

Dont get me wrong, I love the fact that we can combo, but, it makes me lol when I see people throwing a nade every chance they get.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
You throw one out and if your good at shooting them quick enough it will send you sailing like you wouldn't believe. They are much like that of Ultra Renegades where it just throws the grenade from behind you and then blows up immediately. They are also good capper blocks if you time and angle them right.

I see them create more suicides then deaths ehh.

Bounty

Private Tester
I notice many players using combos as somewhat of a crutch. This is primarily close range, as combos are easy as hell close range, and far easier than MAs. People will just spam their nades out every time they reload and either hit the nade or the MA. Having the additional nade hitbox floating out there means there is a larger target as a whole of which they can hit to deal damage.

Dont get me wrong, I love the fact that we can combo, but, it makes me lol when I see people throwing a nade every chance they get.

That aspect is pretty much the same as mine-discing in T1, and the complaints will naturally be the same.

Immanent

I got the hang of it after watching Disci's video in a matter of minutes (5 mind you) very easy, although some occasional *dance* ups.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Yeah same, I bit different for me as I have a 'half throw' enabled, but I got the timings nailed.

w00tyou

@mabel if you love Tribes so much marrie it.

Mostly I'm just annoyed they aren't a hybrid of the nade and mine from t1, allowing augmented damage from splash without the one shot kill and spam.
I agree.

I also wish that the charge up had more of a range or strength in throws.
Like the T:V nade.

57thRomance

I feel like the nade+midair rocket jump technique cuts away a lot of health, especially for an outrider. I was @ approx. 80 percent health and tried to get away from enemies using that combination for an extra boost, and I immediately died. Maybe I should have just rocket jumped, but yeah, don't include the nade if you're an outrider, unless you have the flag and you have lots of health.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
the nade itself doesnt cause most of the damage.. its whatever it gets hit by that deals the most damage. They already made it very low on damage.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
80 percent health and tried to get away from enemies using that combination for an extra boost, and I immediately died. Maybe I should have just rocket jumped, but yeah, don't include the nade if you're an outrider, unless you have the flag and you have lots of health.

You did it wrong, you had it too close.

Further away you hit it = less boost = more health.

Application-1

test bester
I nade jump as outrider alot because OD is for le noobs. It gives me such a big boost and considering I didnt drain my hp, it is a very valid tactic. Example:
Zenith front route -> grab flag -> go end of map and turn around -> aprox 100 speed -> nade jump -> le base to le base

Redvan

Private Tester
Chewbacca flag grab noise. Must have :3 as for the OD ready sound, don't you get annoyed?

Now for "frag combos" what would be the best way to do it? when ever i try i either miss or end up blowing myself to smithereens.
best way to do it is MA. If they happen to be spamming nades out their noses, which many people do now, you'll get a nice combo on them :D

But srsly, just practice hitting the nades from different angles and distances. Thats the best way to do it.

MightySheep

Funny how hand nades are more useful for nade jumping rather than actual nading.

I think they are quite useful in combat, can slowly deal a decent amount of extra damage and block rockets or nades some times

also it helps deal with newbs faster cuz they often nade and rocket as same time and blow themselves up