Frag Grenade Discussion Thread

Jodediah

Would like to hear opinions/changes/stories or w/e.

My personal opinion on these things (I get 100 ping or more to about all the servers, which may bias this stuff up):
Combat:
Useless. The set timer takes some getting used to, and the damage just isnt that great. If you're trying to do damage midair you might as well use your chaingun, and if your target is on the ground you might as well use a rocket or grenade for AoE damage. As far as "frag combos" go: to do any damage you have to MA the things, which is really hard to do without ripping yourself in two. May as well just MA your target with a rocket rather than trying to use a hand grenade to do damage. I suppose they have a little usefulness as a semisuicidal surprise attack, but thats about it. Frag combos can instakill raiders at REALLY close range because the rocket that you use to trigger the combo also does damage. It also brings you from full HP to red though. Your target would have to have no sound or music playing for you to sneak close enough to even attempt that.
Travel:
Useless. You can perform a rocket jump midair, but it hurts like crap. Might as well perform just a regular rocket jump. It'll hurt a lot less and you'll be able to gauge the amount of health you're willing to lose. I suppose they're useful as an emergency RJ if you're about to hit a hill really wrong, but the HP loss is really gross. Being a capper type of dude I don't see myself using this too often. Not sure how this help chasers, esp. those with good ping, but I personally think the little b words are really hard to nail for the midair boost.

Overall I think they're just a novelty. I see people using them a lot, perhaps jokingly, because I really don't see the point of them. :S Anyone else feel the same way/differently?

Disci

Old man
You may lose more health than when you are doing normal rj but the speed you can archive and the quickness of one MA rj is just too good awesome to not use for chasing. Go mental and try different things. You might get surprised how much you can do with these little things.

Haptic

I got one of those midair combos on a guy yesterday. Don't exactly know how I did it, but I did.

Alex

yeah they have no particular point..but i just use them for combat...a little extra damage

Synista

I think it's useful if you have a RL and CG class; it's good for Midair damge if you're really bad at hitting RL or GL MA's

Application-1

test bester
Also if you see someone grabbing the flag in MA and you cant get to him faster then just throw the nade at the flag.
This enables a MA explosion and you alter the flags route. ;]
I did it 4 times already though it is very hard.

MJ1284

IMO nades are useful little tool in dueling like OD is helpful tool in capping: By itself it won't get much done, but when chained it can make a difference. Toss nade near enemy, let blastwave throw them off their flightcourse and follow up with ground pounding.

For flag D it makes "carpet bombing" little easier, which is just the kind of boost Base Def needed.

Mabeline

God-Tier
You may lose more health than when you are doing normal rj but the speed you can archive and the quickness of one MA rj is just too good awesome to not use for chasing. Go mental and try different things. You might get surprised how much you can do with these little things.
The speed gained per point of damage done is exactly the same as the rocket launcher, meaning that grenade jumps are as effective (or more, due to the fact that you can do it midair and you get a larger amount of speed) as a rocket jump of equivalent damage.

Like I said to rainpilot ingame, nobody has a clue how they're supposed to be used at the moment, they'll need to play with them a while.

57thPhoenix

How do u detonate them them in midair as an alt for a rj? why is it I sometimes hear the sniper rifle shot when one detonates?

stefygraff

Private Tester
Hand-Grenade is totally a secondary weapon, if you know how to use it, its a handy one too!
~Its not that efficient to use them as boosters
~Its a good block tactic

Jodediah

Like I said to rainpilot ingame, nobody has a clue how they're supposed to be used at the moment, they'll need to play with them a while.
Bodyblocking has just became a *chocolate cookies* load easier.
For flag D it makes "carpet bombing" little easier, which is just the kind of boost Base Def needed.
Good to hear the other side of things, these are all valid points.

Disci: I'd never be able to do one of those MA RJs at an angle like that. My ping would slap me. :|

Disci

Old man
:(

Yeah well fortunately those occasions are pretty rare. I think you're able to do the boost for chasing just fine, right?