Frag Grenade Discussion Thread

Homingun

This is what happens when a hand grenade is more balanced towards combos/nade jumps than actual nading. It's gimmicky, lopsided and sometimes full of lol.

fatboy

Personally I don't understand how the grenades made it out of private testing in their current state, unless I'm completely missing the intention. Ten minutes of playing around with them and one can see it's retarded; 10 minutes with them after having played Tribes and all its variants for 12 years and I'm scratching my head.

Personally I don't understand how the grenades made it out of private testing in their current state, unless I'm completely missing the intention. Ten minutes of playing around with them and one can see it's retarded; 10 minutes with them after having played Tribes and all its variants for 12 years and I'm scratching my head.

They're an amazing tool for chasing (and god damn, did chasers need them).

DOS4/GW

I like some of what I'm seeing with the nades. They're fun to use in combat, to help clear flag stands, or to knock incoming cappers off course. I particularly like the floaty-ness of them; it's unique to all of the other weapons and it mixes things up nicely. Were they to be heavier, faster, or if they behaved more like a "classic" grenade, I think things might get a bit too spammy.

However, combos should definitely go, or at least be significantly altered. Nades have always been more of a side weapon. They should provide a bit of variety to the game, not be an integral part of core aspects such as blocking or chasing.

fatboy

No, what chasers need is a proper chaingun like all the other Tribes games (unless you have autoaim like phan). And a grenade that is much more difficult to use, but does more damage and is slightly more spammy, so you can run intercept routes and spam the cap/rabbit route.

Even so, asking chasers to get within midair and hand grenade range is completely unrealistic in Legions, and was even easier to accomplish in T:V even with the grappler. Of course chasing in Tribes, and Tribes 2 Classic is very balanced and plays well.

Videos like phans, "Explosions in the sky", give a completely unrealistic spin on chasing, because if you're not hitting those very low probability midair shots the guy is capping.

MJ1284

No, what chasers need is a proper chaingun like all the other Tribes games (unless you have autoaim like phan). And a grenade that is much more difficult to use, but does more damage and is slightly more spammy, so you can run intercept routes and spam the cap/rabbit route.

Current chaingun is fine for chasing purpose IMO, Tribes chaingun didn't have overheat mechanism and it's spread was fixed value.. and I was lousy chainer at T1 :p
I think route interceptions and carpet bombing is main purpose of hand grenades, they're not strong as GL nades but still potent enough to throw incoming capper off course.. and every bit of damage helps your team's chasers. But tell me, how does more damage + more spammy = hand grenade that's harder to use? Seems exact opposite to me.

Videos like phans, "Explosions in the sky", give a completely unrealistic spin on chasing, because if you're not hitting those very low probability midair shots the guy is capping.

On sidenote, phana's video is supposed to show stuff you don't see in every match. In real situations chasers are likely to get close range with speed that closely matches carrier's speed and aim for ground pounds & air chaining, if everybody would chase with MA grenades/rockets only from half kilometer away phana wouldn't have made that video.