Unlocking Legions - Upcoming Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock

Finally.... i can smurf w/o having to do work. Now we will see servers that have a "no smurf" requirement lol.

3lionz

Legions Developer
So.....
Does that mean say, that any of my MANY fans *cough* could use the username 3lionz?

P.s. PLEASE allow password protection for player hosted servers (Preferably passwords, not pins)....
#noobyquestions

EDIT: Oh, and can you op not to be on the master list?
(Connect by IP/username?)

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
I like the part that we'll be having an unlocked legions now. Does the account deactivation really have to be a part of it thou?
so we could offer registered nicknames, teams, and other features which could be added over time.
Does this mean that nicknames, and other features might be added back to the game?

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
so there is nothing to stop me from pretending to be a dev and screwing about and vice versa? (those devs are pretty tricksy)

no likey -.-
i sorta liked the teams too. oh well.

i'm not sure how well this will work as it could end up in the few players we have being spread across a large amount of *passworded* servers.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Eh. Modding is definitely a plus. We just have to hope that people aren't idiots and decided to screw around.

modtime legooooo

Not too sure about this. Personally, I think people can live without player-hosted servers, I mean most people don't have a nice enough internet connection. Guh, this is a tricky one.
nah, I live in Australia (our internet is far from good) while some players had bad ping many had good ping with about 12 on my connection, and it was on a laptop while I was playing, so a dedicated machine would help this issue.

even if only a smaller amount of players can play at good ping its worth it.

but every one knows my opinion on player hosting :)

would love to know roughly when this can happen, I so badly need a low ping z axis fix...

cant it be unlocked and we still have accounts and tag things but it could be like on the game say 'havn't got a account play for free' and the'll be something called guest-2912j901nc9mn something like that.

not to happy if this update goes live

GReaper

Grumpy
Answering some questions...

will there be Lan support?
Yes, eventually.

P.s. PLEASE allow password protection for player hosted servers (Preferably passwords, not pins)....
Set it to whatever you want.

EDIT: Oh, and can you op not to be on the master list?
It can easily be disabled.

There won't be any devs anymore once this hits open source.
Then pretty much anyone can work on it.

I really don't want that term being used, as the name is too close to free software. We'll still be doing updates, it'll make the development process easier not having to deal with the crappy authentication system being an annoying block during development.

What's that mean for maps, is it worth it for me to finish the ones I started?

In other words: can I host my own maps?

You can create whatever maps you want. Just remember that getting other people to play client side maps will require them to download them - meaning you'll be asking them to start modifying their installation of Legions, which means our support if there's any problems ends there. If you can modify your installation, you can debug it yourself.

HellzHere

Not a good fan of this idea, especially the account feature being removed, i can see this causing problems. Also as someone said earlier, everyone is just gonna be split up all over the servers, and this is a little community, doesn't take a genius to see what will happen. But well we will see the after affects of these changes,its obvious to see that this will have a massive effect for the development of this game but well....

Severance

Private Tester
Will a standalone server be available, possibly a linux variant? With that, will the current(or future) web based admin tools also be packaged with it?

GReaper

Grumpy
And just to clarify why we're doing this...

Once you have access to host a game with scripting capabilities, nearly everything can be customised.

If a user hosts a game, they could easily change it so that the nickname of the user gets changed to something else. So even if RandomUser connects to a game, they could easily change the scripts to change the nickname, change the score list, etc.

So you're asking for your nicknames to be registered, even though we can't guarantee anything with other servers. So to pretend that your nickname is actually secure on other servers would actually be a bad idea, as you might trust that a GReaper on another server is me.

To be absolutely clear - it isn't impossible to secure it, but the amount of effort required to do so would require hardcoding quite a bit of code and moving it out of script. Given that we're a free game with a small community - it just isn't worth it.

phanakapan

Private Tester
Honestly, this is the best thing to happen to this game. Finally people will be able to mod and map, fixing a ton of the issues with the current game. While it won't be centralized in any official way as it has been, the centralization will simply move to the forums or some website which will provide links to downloadable content (maps/scripts/mods/etc). A more robust game will bring in more players and the fracturing between servers will only happen if people purposefully don't want their servers listed and choose to play with specific groups of people (not likely, unless its a scrim/pug/match/etc).

Thanks devs!

Status
Not open for further replies.