Unlocking Legions - Upcoming Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimitryy

Surely could there not be some kind of simple script that can bind the IP to the username?
no, if someone gets a new ip, he would need a password to login and save his account to the new ip. it would be pretty much the same as now.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
While I am slightly miffed about the changes to usernames, I'm glad this change is happening. It takes Legions in a good direction - let's just see how it turns out.

Will you guys continue to release content for the official servers?

Frost

sounds great :) but couldn't you keep the accounts at the official server with auto login by ip or something like that?
i like the community, i like to play with players that i know and i want to know which player is which player.
if everyone can be everyone the gameplay wont work anymore ... just imagen if you, for example, need a flagpass and you see pullute, you know that he is freaking-good and will catch the flag for sure because he got a good flagawareness etc. but he isnt even looking or reacting and than starts to teamkill you and spams around ... because its ronshytheking ! and on the next server the real pullute joins the game and nobody will pass to him ... or some people will teamkill him back because they thing he is a teamkiller .... the game would work for me anymore (except pugs that we do not have) yey
I gotta agree on Dimitryy on this one. I haven't consistently played a game where nicknames aren't bound (yes I know it has been done). By consistent I mean revisiting the game on a daily/weekly basis. Our community or most of it isn't exactly mature, what happens to people who decide to ruin the rep of actual players? Nicknames won't be bound however I'm assuming most players will prefer to have a nickname they regularly use.
A lot of players have different play styles, routes, and habits that I've inadvertently programmed into my brain and my play style is adjusted accordingly. Not that I'm QQing I won't know where people are going, it's just that every time you're going to be facing an unknown person, you could even be facing Unknown :eek:
The more troublesome factor is the point that there are some who will intentionally imitate someone else to change others perspective on them. Someone may decide -I don't like Frost for this post, I really don't like Frost for this post, I'm gonna smurf as him when he's offline and just play badly, for weeks-

One can also only hope that the community will stay on official servers until random coders/mapmakers make a name for themselves/create great servers for people to use otherwise the game will be too spread out.

Armageddon

Teapot
Tribes has lasted 13 years now without registered user accounts, you'll be fine.
Some smurfing will happen for sure but i don't think it will be a huge problem, just a minor irritation.

Sin

Private Tester
No more clan tags? GG. Stupid as hell in my opinion. One of the only cool things about legions right now.
Also, looks like more people will be using other's account names and using clan names and giving them bad reps, just like tribes. Have fun with this.

dark7

for some reason i would stop player if i cant have an accound

can you just let accounts be registered and have an guest (choose name) and an IP ban

Royalty

The Aussie
Glad to hear that you guys are finally doing this, however I like the clan tag and accounts system... Let's just hope that people don't abuse the planned system... I won't be doing any modding on mys servers however... I'm really nervous about this, as it could totally stuff up Legions...

Can somebody tell me why you can't just make player-hosted servers like back in IA, with accounts?

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Glad to hear that you guys are finally doing this, however I like the clan tag and accounts system... Let's just hope that people don't abuse the planned system... I won't be doing any modding on mys servers however... I'm really nervous about this, as it could totally stuff up Legions...

Can somebody tell me why you can't just make player-hosted servers like back in IA, with accounts?
Yeah, I'd also like to know the logistics behind this. I read the post - I'd just like to know why exactly we cannot have a server wide authentication system.

Status
Not open for further replies.