Tribes Ascend announced.

MJ1284

I don't know why people hate Jet Trails so much. I loved the Legions ones and I am loving these. Gives the game, beauty. Sure, they are some-what responsible for frame drops, but you gotta go with the times, get a good graphics card, and enjoy all the detail. Hope they make it optional to turn them off, and not cut their tails off, like in Legions.
Tribes = Short trails. Some people are bitching about the long ones.
Long trails makes players very easy to see even in pitch black maps, hench cappers won't like appreciate long trails. They could use their jets sparingly emitting minimal trails, but for some people (=whiners) it's too much effort so "it must be nerfed becuz it's st00pid!".

Mahidhar

Long trails makes players very easy to see even in pitch black maps, hench cappers won't like appreciate long trails. They could use their jets sparingly emitting minimal trails, but for some people (=whiners) it's too much effort so "it must be nerfed becuz it's st00pid!".

Exactly. Back when we had the original jet trails, you had to shut them off in the air, so the enemy defense would have lesser chances of detecting you, but it also restricts your mid air maneuverability. A perfect example is one of Zhou Yu's routes; a back route in Frost Byte, where he rocket jumps at the last slope, and uses that momentum to reach all the way to the enemy flag stand, without jets and undetected, only activating them at the flag stand. Such type of grabs actually took some skill and effort. For me, it's one of those elements, that made capping, a very interesting position to play. Some people would say that it makes far too easy for the cappers to be spotted, but what's the point of "stealing" the enemy flag, when there's no effort in trying to swipe it off, stealthily?

Also, with all the things that will be going on during a game, in Tribes, I doubt that the jet trails would be of much concern. After all, this isn't a depth-less game just revolving around the two flags, is it?

@Disci Now, I really hope they make changes that you don't like, most importantly, including the down jet. :p

Apcizzle

I'm sure any type of game like tribes will give some sort of advantage. MAing in tribes helped in legions simply because it was the same idea. If they are trying to recreate the game like tribes 2, then it should be a similiar outcome. Regardless though, i will play this game no matter what they do to it, Hell, it's a Tribes game that i never thought would come to be.

Chi-Ro

Private Tester
An advantage over who though? Tribes players or new people who've never played a tribes game before (and you'll have an advantage over just by knowing how to ski)? It's not that it wont help, but honestly, I don't see it as an advantage. Most tribes players will be hitting tribes back up at least a little bit before the game comes out. If everyone has the same "advantage" it's not really an advantage at all.

Help yes. Advantage no. That's all I meant.