Teamkillers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
The GLII did perfectly fine breaking through and splintering their defenses, and it required skill, not some half-assed shot at the flag then a llama grab.
It only peppered the defense, unless someone was able to lay cluster long enough to live to set it off. Besides GLII works so good that no one uses it, just as useful as the new skybolt.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I dunno, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of combination of cluster and mortar. The new mortar could have similar range to the existing mortar, but it would have a detonation effect similar to the cluster. If the mortar projectile is not detonated at all, it's AoE would be similar to a grenade, but the damage would be slightly higher than a grenade. If detonated in mid-air, the projectile would be similar to a detonated cluster, perhaps with more shards and/or damage (and more green). If detonated on the ground, it would have a similar 'boom' to the current mortar. You would be unable to lay the projectile down as a mine, ala current cluster, there would be a amount of 'arming time' where the projectile needs to fly through the air and you would only have a second or two to properly detonate the projectile after it hits the ground before it explodes into a regular, non-detonated mortar explosion (perhaps the projectile could 'blink' a darker green than normal to signify that it's about to explode as a 'boom').

This weapon would still have usefulness and power, but would take more skill to properly utilize. Spamming would be diminished, as the mortar user would need to time their detonation to make the weapon effective. If they tried to spam cluster shots at the enemy base in midair, it would be fairly useless as the clusters would detonate too early and be more of a pretty firework show than an effective napalm-style strike. Standard mortar 'boom' spamming would be reduced quite a bit as the player would need to wait for their shot to land then properly detonate it (so no more fire and forget 'booms').

The reason I like this weapon is that it still promotes proper skill and timing, and if utilized properly, can still be effective but removes that spammy nature of the original. It's cluster functionality makes it useful against fast targets (with proper timing) while the boom mode would make it also useful against slow and/or stationary targets (base turrets, sleeping HoF).

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I must say, ever since Mortar was introduced, I never really enjoyed Legions as much as before. I play like once every 2 weeks now, opposed to everyday.

Royalty

The Aussie
Really, the only "teamkillers" around are those who mortar the flag stand... Why not make it that mortars can't damage teammates?
Problem solved.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Really, the only "teamkillers" around are those who mortar the flag stand... Why not make it that mortars can't damage teammates?
Problem solved.
the same reason why we dont turn off all team damage. people are just gonna spam it even harder knowing that they cant hurt their team mates.

Armageddon

Teapot
No, not solved. That would Amplify flag spam since mates would take no damage leading to more bitching about the mortar.
I like seymour's idea to an extent but having two weapons that act almost the same is something i hate, if we make those changes suggested to the mortar it becomes more like the GL cluster and i don't see a point in that.
The mortar doesn't even phase me anymore, it's like playing T1 with nubbins that go heavy. I'm pretty use to that.

But on the bright side since the mortars arrival we have less threads bitching about the laser rifle, So for that i love the mortar.

Royalty

The Aussie
No, not solved. That would Amplify flag spam since mates would take no damage leading to more bitching about the mortar.
I like seymour's idea to an extent but having two weapons that act almost the same is something i hate, if we make those changes suggested to the mortar it becomes more like the GL cluster and i don't see a point in that.
The mortar doesn't even phase me anymore, it's like playing T1 with nubbins that go heavy. I'm pretty use to that.

But on the bright side since the mortars arrival we have less threads bitching about the laser rifle, So for that i love the mortar.
Make it that mortar can't be fired within a certain distance of your home flag stand? Maybe?....
On the subject of the laser rifle, it is probably the most ping dependent weapon.... Not very useful for me...

skypredator

Exactly, Arma. I still think a TK punishment system should be implemented. That's really the only way to compromise and still keep the mortar.

57thEnryu

How about an air raid siren that goes off every time someone on your team shoots a cluster? Would be fun to watch everyone scrambling for cover, hehe.

Hate to hear what would happen when ppl start spamming clusters.....

How about a script that if you tk more than 5 times in the game it summons what his name, promothius (sp?), that big ass sentianal that hovers above the map, and it kills the tker for the rest of the match.

Or just kick them from the server and ban for 5 min after 5 recorded tks......

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
The reason I like this weapon is that it still promotes proper skill and timing, and if utilized properly, can still be effective but removes that spammy nature of the original. It's cluster functionality makes it useful against fast targets (with proper timing) while the boom mode would make it also useful against slow and/or stationary targets (base turrets, sleeping HoF).

It would be nice to give the mortar the cluster function.. however currently the cluster doesn't MA and not sure why.

also most of what you described would be nice to implement but currently no one on the team is around to do the code work for weapon functions.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Oh goodie, can we get GLII that releases mortars instead of those little wimpy grenades? Now THAT would be fun ;)

Fun like your face. I wasn't trying to imply that the GLII shards would be of 'mortar damage'-like proportions. With that said, I think Arma hit it on the head when he said that the idea would basically be two weapons in one, and probably not the most efficient (or realistic) idea.

RiPTaCk

What about a no-mortar server? Plenty of empty servers around.
It should be easy to do and then you will see how successful it will be.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
What about a no-mortar server? Plenty of empty servers around.
It should be easy to do and then you will see how successful it will be.

I'll see what I can do! Not sure if it can be simply reverted to old Sent or if it would need to be removed outright, but I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.