OSniping Accusations ......

DOS4/GW

Yes, I can see how sniping like that can be effective in a number of ways. I was chasing you just outside of base for several minutes today until I realized what you were doing.

Still, I'm not convinced that there is anything on your list that cannot be done better by a resourceful LO, and a dedicated offense player that cannot make returns usually isn't something a team can afford.

In regards to people "raging" or acting immature against you: expect it. You just about said it yourself: An O sniper's job is to be annoying, to harass, to bully. You're trying to throw people off their games by infuriating them. As far as we know, you are a mature person with the best of intentions, but you must understand that the goals of an O sniper are immature in nature. Expecting people to keep their cool after 2-3 matches of that sort of abuse is unrealistic.

To me, the effectiveness of a tactic is really no justification for making folks feel miserable. If you decide to continue to play as an O sniper, I suggest that you start getting used to being disliked; it's pretty much unavoidable. Judging by the few times I've fought against you, you'd make a fine LO...but it's your choice.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yes, I can see how sniping like that can be effective in a number of ways. I was chasing you just outside of base for several minutes today until I realized what you were doing.

Still, I'm not convinced that there is anything on your list that cannot be done better by a resourceful LO, and a dedicated offense player that cannot make returns usually isn't something a team can afford.

In regards to people "raging" or acting immature against you: expect it. You just about said it yourself: An O sniper's job is to be annoying, to harass, to bully. You're trying to throw people off their games by infuriating them. As far as we know, you are a mature person with the best of intentions, but you must understand that the goals of an O sniper are immature in nature. Expecting people to keep their cool after 2-3 matches of that sort of abuse is unrealistic.

To me, the effectiveness of a tactic is really no justification for making folks feel miserable. If you decide to continue to play as an O sniper, I suggest that you start getting used to being disliked; it's pretty much unavoidable. Judging by the few times I've fought against you, you'd make a fine LO...but it's your choice.

I dunno, perhaps as more and more effective o-snipers come onto the scene, the role will be more accepted. Making people feel 'miserable' seems a little harsh, I feel just as 'miserable' being sniped coming into enemy territory as I do in my own territory. :-P

Anyhow, I've had some requests to lock this thread before things turn ugly. I'm not going to do this for the time being, as long as the discussion remains civil and respectful, it will remain open. I think it's good to get these issues out in the air, and hopefully some mature conversation will lower some of the barriers that seems to have come up between members of the community.

Also, the official stance on o-sniping remains: it is not a kick-able offense, and for those players who seek to teamkill o-snipers will be kicked.

Mahidhar

Just.. Make sniping at a distance harder.. But how?

I've noticed something about Legions' Laser Rifle which lacks, when compared to the sniper rifles of some other FPS games. The "Zoom Vs Body motion" effect. It's when the sniper zooms in completely, that the scope doesn't stay constant but fluctuates, making it harder for the sniper to snipe at a distance, sometimes even forcing him to move to a closer position, so that he may use a reduced zoom, instead of the complete one.

In Legions, no matter how much you zoom in, your scope/reticule remains the same/constant. In my opinion, the sniper must have atleast this difficulty, when sniping from afar. This effect could be applied only to the highest zoom of the rifle, so it will force the sniper to think, instead of just sitting on those towers and sniping the other team from ridiculously far distances.

Abandoned

Rockey's Zoom Enhancement script could be split up into more divisions, lets say 20 levels but in a quick, speedy motion.

jago

I dunno, perhaps as more and more effective o-snipers come onto the scene, the role will be more accepted. Making people feel 'miserable' seems a little harsh, I feel just as 'miserable' being sniped coming into enemy territory as I do in my own territory. :-P

Anyhow, I've had some requests to lock this thread before things turn ugly. I'm not going to do this for the time being, as long as the discussion remains civil and respectful, it will remain open. I think it's good to get these issues out in the air, and hopefully some mature conversation will lower some of the barriers that seems to have come up between members of the community.

Also, the official stance on o-sniping remains: it is not a kick-able offense, and for those players who seek to teamkill o-snipers will be kicked.
a few times ive changed my nickname so i can snipe for abit snipe snipe snipe... and after id killed players on the other team 1 of my team mates decided to kill me and he kept following me so i couldnt osnipe im not mentioning his name because i dont want any1 to be banned but in the future as this game changes with all the additions the devs are giving us osniping will be very effective so bare this in mind n stop bitcing coz this makes me want to osnipe even more, im a sniper who plays sent

Synista

i think u should all look up the definition of a sniper......

A Sniper is a marksman who shoots people from a concealed place.
Same thing in Legions except you don't shoot the enemy base.

Nice little rhyme for all you Osnipers to remember :)

MJ1284

If you don't want to get flamed or hated for O Sniping don't use LR at all.

... that said, if you spot me with LR it usually means I can't bother playing seriously.

jago

so standing in plain view of every1 defending ur flag with a sniper rifle isnt sniping at all ur defending with a high powered rifle there is only 1 true sniper thats the offensive kind

Metreon

Well, those are the rules.

I have come to expect a certain amount of hostility. I'm not going to name names for now either, but TKing under any circumstance other than a mutual agreement is no bueno. Complaining about it and flinging insults is not very mature. If someone wants to come blast me to hell though, I have no problem with that.
I can tell you that the only time osniping is really useless and therefore annoying is when some guy sits in a tower mid-field and snipes the defence on the other team, even when they have no flag. That is just plain stoopid. If I have the flag and I am in my base and some guy is sniping at me I see that as something else entirely. It has a purpose. If he is sniping chasers that is effective. Etc., etc., etc. I still think that defensive sniping is more effective and that snipe-chase is also very effective. Osniping is the least effective form of sniping but as long as it serves a purpose and makes a difference to the game I have no problem with it. If you are an osniper though, instead of immediately defending yourself in these threads you might want to think about where you can be most effective in your team.

I would argue that in that instance, I'm still creating a diversion. It may suck for me to have 4 people trying to whack me, but that also means that those 4 people are not helping their team in other ways. Of course, I prefer gunning for cappers and chasers, and covering attackers on my team, but the diversion factor (the one useful side of making people rage) is not inconsequential.

I suppose you're right there. I do tend to position myself at the closest defensible spot to the enemy base so I can make returns if I hit an enemy capper before he gets there, but it's pretty difficult to be effective in that aspect. As for not being something a team can afford, that is true in smaller games with few people, but if it's a packed game then it's pretty inconsequential. There generally will be plenty of others serving that role, even to return the flag after I pick off a capper or assist in doing so.

I'd hardly call it abuse. But I do see your point. I've been playing this a long while and have dealt with it about that long. And you are right, my main job is as an irritant and distraction, no matter how many cappers I pick off. I do find though that the average rager would still rage, no matter how I killed them. Osniping does tend to irk a few people in addition to that, but for the most part, ragers are ragers. I do d-snipe sometimes, and I get a lot of the same reactions. To some, one can't do anything right, and osniping is just something to latch onto. If it's not that it's sniping in general. If it's not that, it's rocket spamming. Or jumping around too much. Or hackcusations (I get a ton of those.)

The point is, a certain aspect of maturity should still be expected. I do realize that osniping as a tactic,, while I hesitate to call it immature in its own right (at least not how I apply it) takes advantage of immaturity. I do think you'd agree that people should still be reasonable and play by the rules, something you've done well. There is nothing wrong with coming to kill me if you're on the other team, (apart from helping the diversion argument. :p)

I could just as easily argue that an effective tactic is no reason to be unreasonable, or miserable for that matter. I am very used to being disliked, and that's fine, I just expect people to handle that in a mature fashion- I don't think anyone here would really call that unreasonable.

And hey, maybe when I have some time and this game evolves a bit, I'll go for being an LO proper. For now though, I'm here for a good time in between absurdly long papers and drunken benders. Osniping is something I'm good at, and a useful niche. (You'll notice I will cap, chase, dsnipe, or play offense when those services are being rendered by other parties.)

Redvan

Private Tester
A Sniper is a marksman who shoots people from a concealed place.
Same thing in Legions except you don't shoot the enemy base.

yeah I didn't see that second part in the definition...

lemme guess, vybez can dish it but he cant take it ;P

Ultimately, people need to learn that o-sniping is fine.

If you're stupid enough to sit around at your base and get sniped, then you're obviously playing it wrong.

If you cant take out a severely gimped sniper in a duel, it's not because the sniper is an OP weapon, and it's not because the sniper is in an o-snipe position, it's because you're just bad.

In a competitive match, if a team cannot counter an o-sniper, then they don't deserve to win.

Simple as that, end of story.