OSniping Accusations ......

MJ1284

I think they should add a new sent class that has a sniper rifle and a combination of the other weapons (chaingun, rocket launcher, nades)

Oh sure, let's give these Senti snipers Old LR with unlimited ammo fer *chocolate cookies* and giggles while we're at it.

DOS4/GW

Notice I've claimed nowhere that sniping isn't effective, nor that its presence in other games doesn't arouse the ire of opponents. What's exclusive to Tribes/Legions isn't either of those points, but the entire anti-O-sniping attitude and its associated paradox.

Thought you were speaking about sniping in general. My bad.

As for sniping being worse in Legions and Tribes, I'm going to disagree – especially given that the primary gametype is CTF. The maps are large, yes, but players traverse those distances relatively quickly. An organized offense shouldn't have difficulties with snipers; and in the past, this community's suffered more from lack of the former than abundance of the latter. (Or perhaps from an abundance of the latter due to a lack of the former).

I'd love to see more organized offense present in games, but the trouble is that it will always be a relatively difficult thing to do, as it requires good timing and good communication. In contrast, it's fairly easy to get together a defense that is organized enough to allow a sniper to operate with little to no interference. Of course, a defense that can protect their flag holder and coordinate passes is another matter.

Regardless of player speeds, there's just something about a single player being able to reach across half of the map that just feels wrong, especially when having a clear line of sight is pretty much a given.

It happens all the time in SG server. It's always the foreigners with high ping, who can't do anything else, so they're like: OH LETS SNIPE AND RUIN THEIR GAME.
SETTLE DOWN! I only sniper the flag carrier. Not if I hit em that much with nearly 300 ping.

Disci

Old man
O sniping isn't wrong at all. Is it effective? Well depends how you do it. It's fun when there is a good sniper on opposing team. Gives you more to think about while trying to keep the flag during standoffs.

Disci

Old man
You can be complitely useless for you team. That's pretty much the same with any other position. Always think what you can do for you team rather than aiming for the best rating of all.

Metreon

Yes, I can definitely feel that contempt for snipers is there. Especially osnipers like myself.
I figure I'll clear up a few misconceptions and air a few beefs.

1. Osniping is NOT useless. For one, picking off cappers at their base can be very useful, as can picking off/damaging enemy chasers that are after one of your own team's cappers.
When it comes to enemy defenders, I try to go for ones that are moving or shooting at me (if there are no cappers.) Even this is useful. You can cover your team during a base raid, and I must certainly say that sniping is both a great distraction and a great diversion.
If half the other team is chasing me, than they are not defending their base and not attacking my team's base. Even if a couple enemies are after me, that's two people that are not doing other things. If there is someone prone to raging, then they'll be after me for the rest of the game. Some people go sniper to defend against me. Makes my job tricky, but makes it easier on my team- besides, I can hold my own in basic combat (if it's not lagy or I'm not too drunk.)

2. Osniping is not against the rules. A lot of people (not in this thread but others as well as in-game) think there's a rule against it. It's annoying, but it's 100% legit.

3. I really hate it when people feel the need to TK or interfere with us (block shots, OD us off our perches, etc.) If people are that immature, then they should not be playing FPS games. It doesn't help your team, just makes an ass out of you (and TKing at least is against the rules.) If someone wants to be a noob and rage, then they should at least switch teams.

4. Don't bitch about it, or flame. I've been called every nasty thing in the book since the IA days and it's just immature. If you want to come kill me, fine, but don't flood the chat with insults and whining. If anything, it encourages me to give out some cheese to go with their whine.

5. I AM NOT HARD TO KILL. Anyone who knows how to aim when spamming rockets can beat me if they can get the jump on me. I'm not bad with a CG but the sniper is just a bad combat weapon (due to the jet nerf, mostly.) I get lucky sometimes with it, but really, there's no way I can take out, say, a Sent unless that player really sucks.

6. It's not wrong. See #2.

7. If you dislike it, good for you. That does not give you the right to break rules, and it doesn't justify raging.

I osnipe because it's fun, and it's the best contribution I can make to my team. That's it.

I think I've gotten my point across. Any questions?

Synista

You are...?

1. Osniping is NOT useless. For one, picking off cappers at their base can be very useful, as can picking off/damaging enemy chasers that are after one of your own team's cappers.
When it comes to enemy defenders, I try to go for ones that are moving or shooting at me (if there are no cappers.) Even this is useful. You can cover your team during a base raid, and I must certainly say that sniping is both a great distraction and a great diversion.
If half the other team is chasing me, than they are not defending their base and not attacking my team's base. Even if a couple enemies are after me, that's two people that are not doing other things. If there is someone prone to raging, then they'll be after me for the rest of the game. Some people go sniper to defend against me. Makes my job tricky, but makes it easier on my team- besides, I can hold my own in basic combat (if it's not lagy or I'm not too drunk.)

Osniping is useful but it's not allowed in competition, so you're wasting your time.

2. Osniping is not against the rules. A lot of people (not in this thread but others as well as in-game) think there's a rule against it. It's annoying, but it's 100% legit.

I'd ban you if I could. Then reinforce a rule for it.

3. I really hate it when people feel the need to TK or interfere with us (block shots, OD us off our perches, etc.) If people are that immature, then they should not be playing FPS games. It doesn't help your team, just makes an ass out of you (and TKing at least is against the rules.) If someone wants to be a noob and rage, then they should at least switch teams.

Don't Osnipe then? You're the noob for Osniping.

4. Don't bitch about it, or flame. I've been called every nasty thing in the book since the IA days and it's just immature. If you want to come kill me, fine, but don't flood the chat with insults and whining. If anything, it encourages me to give out some cheese to go with their whine.

You're immature for doing what people are telling you not to, it's obviously not 100% legit if people flame at you for doing it.
5. I AM NOT HARD TO KILL. Anyone who knows how to aim when spamming rockets can beat me if they can get the jump on me. I'm not bad with a CG but the sniper is just a bad combat weapon (due to the jet nerf, mostly.) I get lucky sometimes with it, but really, there's no way I can take out, say, a Sent unless that player really sucks.

Waste of time, no point in this paragraph.

6. It's not wrong. See #2.
Yes it is. Don't do it.

7. If you dislike it, good for you. That does not give you the right to break rules, and it doesn't justify raging.

I think it does, UMadBro?

I osnipe because it's fun, and it's the best contribution I can make to my team. That's it.

Get better.

I think I've gotten my point across. Any questions?

Why don't you play properly and use the LR for defensive purposely like everyone else and stop wondering why people are being a dick to you when it's clearly obvious.

The way you describe Osniping is like slapping your mother. 100% legit but it's not right. Get it?
KthxBye.

Armageddon

Teapot
He brought valid points. I've played against him alot and yea it's annoying but he's correct in a few ways.

He's causing a distraction which helps his team.
He is trying to help his team, thats better then what i see most new people doing in pubs.

I can't knock the guy after his post, he makes a good point.

Redvan

Private Tester
This'll be easy...
You are...?
Not you apparently.

And who are you btw?

Osniping is useful but it's not allowed in competition, so you're wasting your time.
It isn't? I must have missed the memo. AFAIK any organized competition in FE:L had very very few strategy limitations, of which O-sniping was not one.

and
If you can't take out an o-sniper, then we'll know who the true noob is. Setting up a rule against something so easy to counter would be retarded.

You're immature for doing what people are telling you not to, it's obviously not 100% legit if people flame at you for doing it.
I'm telling him to do it, I like the easy kills. Your opinion doesn't matter here. Mine does. I love arguments like that.

Actually, very very good point in this paragraph. He said he's easy to kill and you are complaining about o-sniping, thus you cannot get the easy kills = bad player imo? Just a guess. Not trying to be an ass, but, really dude?....

Yes it is. Don't do it.
Who are you to say it's wrong? The President Sarah Palin?

lol UFunnyBro!

From what I read it sounds like Vybez TK's O-snipers? TK is obviously against the rules, whereas O-sniping is not.

Get better.
Sounds like sound advice to give to yourself!

(Although I'd agree, if the only contribution you can give your team is o-sniping, which is extremely easy to counter, then yes, you do need to expand your horizons.)

Why don't you play properly and use the LR for defensive purposely like everyone else and stop wondering why people are being a dick to you when it's clearly obvious.
I take it you didn't read the rest of the thread where others have either mentioned they o-snipe, or alluded to it. That being the case, I can only conclude that you are wrong when you say "like everyone else".

The way you describe Osniping is like slapping your mother. 100% legit but it's not right. Get it?
Is slapping your mother legit?
Legitimate: conforming to recognized principles or accepted rules and standards
I'll ask my mom next time I see her if slapping her would be legitimate. I dunno, perhaps I was oppressed as a child.

An attitude of an ass in this ending (and your thread as a whole) in reply to a thread that really didn't come across as "ass like". I will admit I do get some pleasure in replying to threads like this. Dish out ass and expect ass right back in your face.

Let me end with a famous quote from one of my favorite Legions legends of all time:
It's one of those Tribes prejudices that has carried to Legions. If the complainers are to be believed, it's paradoxically ineffective, yet massively overpowered. A good general rule for Tribes communities is that if they're unable to kill you with splash shots, they'll be upset.

Heartsong

You are...?
Heartsong

Osniping has never been disallowed in competition. The only tactic that I've ever heard of being disallowed in competition is hotswapping, but that hardly stopped anyone from learning it and using it.

Mature.

O sniping, much like any kind of sniping, is situational and extremely variable in its possible efficacy. If you have some bad pubber sitting on a tower shooting beams randomly at a hopping sentinel, it's probably pretty useless. However, I'm fairly certain Nept could shut down your entire light defense and most of your cappers if you let him osnipe you.

Maturity: Doing what people tell you. Always
He actually makes a great point here. The best way to deal with the sniper is to just fight him. He gets tied up and doesn't have the map control that he would have otherwise.

The point in this paragraph is that he's admitting his biggest shortcoming: dueling as a sniper. Fortunately for you, this is most snipers' biggest shortcoming. So go attack them. I know, it will feel weird shooting guns in this FPS when you'd rather just be capping flags, but it will help you out. I promise.

Yes it is. Don't do it.
Trying to make a wholly encapsulating statement will fail every time. Like right here. Osniping isn't inherently bad.

I don't see what you're doing here except admitting that an osniper makes you rage.
I also don't think he's mad. I'm pretty sure he just wants to play.

Get better.
It'd be easy to simply say, "No, you" here, but I assume that'd be mean. It's a legitimate concern. He's relatively new and relatively unskilled so he gravitated toward something that would allow him to do damage. He readily admits that he's not a great dueler, but that doesn't mean that he's against trying to get better. I'd encourage you to go duel him. Maybe he'll get better! Maybe he'll get so good that he'll play LD! I assume you consider LD a "real" position.

I don't understand why an osniper can't be doing a defensive job? For instance, you snipe a capper as he's leaving his base. Are you not doing a defensive job? In addition to throwing this capper off of his route, you can turn around and harass the HoF to make it easier for your own cappers to swoop in. Of course, you have to be a decent player to pull this off, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done.

KthxBye.

I find it appalling that you consider slapping your mother "legit".

Metreon

You are...?

Metreon, War God of Osniping and supreme ruler of the galaxy.

I don't osnipe where it's formally not allowed. I have yet to sce a competition where it's banned.

Then buy the rights to the game, if you think you should be making the rules.

The sort of immaturity I was referring to. I don't break rules and those people do. Also, name-calling is not how adults handle problems.

Most people don't tell me not to. Those that do don't have authority to. Flaming is no indicator of lack of legitimacy, and all complaining and whining and insult-hurling does is show who the real noobs are. Not my problem. And it's 100% legit if the rules say it is, and no amount of crying will change that fact. And thanks for exemplifying point #4 for me. :)

Yes it is. Don't do it.
Yay for value judgement. Not my problem. Want some cheese with that whine?

There is a point. If you can't kill me, then it is you who needs practice shooting. Try that when you're done wasting your time flinging insults.

Good for you. I am neither mad nor a bro. Just enjoying all the LULZ you have given me today.

Get better.
Get maturity.

Everyone else does not do that, and even if they did, it would be irrelevant to me. I'm right, they are wrong, and if they want to vent rage, they can do it legitimately.
KthxBye.
Quite a comparison. If you think slapping your mother is legit, or that analogy made any sense, you should really stop rotting your brains with computer games, and perhaps seek special help.​

snapplefish

Just this one snippet shows that you're simply going along with the community consensus; your inability for intelligent, structured discussion simply enforces that point. Where you don't bring up an 'accepted community belief' you reply with an unrelated meme.

Can I blame Vybez, who I can only assume is fairly young, for fearing rejection from a community? Not especially, but I can certainly blame the community which only accepts perspectives on how the game should be played that are similar to their own, in the process ostracizing and mocking any player with a dissenting opinion.

You wonder why Tribes died, you wonder why Legions never really took off, and you're going to be wondering in a short bit how this community managed to fall apart as well.

Metreon

Few other items to note. I've played this game as long as it has existed, since it was on IA, (and the Tribes series before that) and people hated me a LOT more when the old snipers (charge-up and overpowered as hell) were around. :p I'm a fair duelist and know I can improve in that category, (but those who hit my sniper nests know I'm no slouch.) I'm not deficit in my other skills, but I do this because it is both useful and entertaining, and what I'm best at. :)

And thanks for the civil discussion. :)

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Just this one snippet shows that you're simply going along with the community consensus; your inability for intelligent, structured discussion simply enforces that point. Where you don't bring up an 'accepted community belief' you reply with an unrelated meme.

Can I blame Vybez, who I can only assume is fairly young, for fearing rejection from a community? Not especially, but I can certainly blame the community which only accepts perspectives on how the game should be played that are similar to their own, in the process ostracizing and mocking any player with a dissenting opinion.

You wonder why Tribes died, you wonder why Legions never really took off, and you're going to be wondering in a short bit how this community managed to fall apart as well.

I don't know, I think it's unfair to say that Vybez has the 'community consensus' on o-sniping. Going through the previous o-sniping/sniping threads, it seems that the majority of the community views it as an effective strategy, if done right. And for a community that's so set in its views on o-sniping, there sure hasn't been very many coming in for their support on Vybez's views.

Heartsong

And for a community that's so set in its views on o-sniping, there sure hasn't been very many coming in for their support on Vybez's views.

I think this poor showing is more the result of an aversion to having to argue with Nept than a dearth of people who share Vybez's views.

Karnage

Private Tester
I can tell you that the only time osniping is really useless and therefore annoying is when some guy sits in a tower mid-field and snipes the defence on the other team, even when they have no flag. That is just plain stoopid. If I have the flag and I am in my base and some guy is sniping at me I see that as something else entirely. It has a purpose. If he is sniping chasers that is effective. Etc., etc., etc. I still think that defensive sniping is more effective and that snipe-chase is also very effective. Osniping is the least effective form of sniping but as long as it serves a purpose and makes a difference to the game I have no problem with it. If you are an osniper though, instead of immediately defending yourself in these threads you might want to think about where you can be most effective in your team.

ocarina_boy

Don't o-snipe. It's bad etiquette. Just one of those things that you just don't do, like llama grabbing and rabbiting. People with a low skill level will always revert to these barbarian ways.