OSniping Accusations ......

trinium

Private Tester
I was accused of OSniping someone someone today who was camping in the middle of the map , shooting flag runners (*cough* spawn sniping) ... said person claimed that Osniping is shooting someone who is not moving ......... naturally i thought this was completely F:)ing ridiculous , but i'd figured i'd ask here since i have only been playing for a few weeks ... and check if ive violated the unwritten rule of Osniping, by pwning said player.

OmniNept

Actionaut
It's one of those Tribes prejudices that has carried to Legions. If the complainers are to be believed, it's paradoxically ineffective, yet massively overpowered. A good general rule for Tribes communities is that if they're unable to kill you with splash shots, they'll be upset.

I was accused of being a :::bad word for gay::: by yourself. :(

OSniping = offensive sniping. It can be effective, if done right (picking targets like chasers, cappers and the HoF instead of people who don't leave the base anyway). It's also hella annoying and don't be surprised if people start coming after you over and over (I just might!).

DOS4/GW

It's one of those Tribes prejudices that has carried to Legions. If the complainers are to be believed, it's paradoxically ineffective, yet massively overpowered. A good general rule for Tribes communities is that if they're unable to kill you with splash shots, they'll be upset.

Contempt for sniper rifles isn't exclusive to Tribes or Legions by any means. People don't like being killed by unseen enemies on the other side of the map, often with no means to retaliate. It's rarely a satisfying death.

But it really is worse in Legions and Tribes. Snipers usually have 360 degree views over huge open landscape, and the sniper rifle is the only weapon in the game that doesn't have to deal with travel time. It's extremely hard to counter. Traditional methods such as suppressing or flanking don't really work.

Immanent

It happens all the time in SG server. It's always the foreigners with high ping, who can't do anything else, so they're like: OH LETS SNIPE AND RUIN THEIR GAME.

Trundle

Time. Eats up more time and attention to counter with freedom of movement involved. Always just dealt with it, don't know why people would complain. One day want to pick up a sniper rifle. When I learn to ski.

OmniNept

Actionaut
DOS4/GW said:
Contempt for sniper rifles isn't exclusive to Tribes or Legions by any means. People don't like being killed by unseen enemies on the other side of the map, often with no means to retaliate. It's rarely a satisfying death.

But it really is worse in Legions and Tribes. Snipers usually have 360 degree views over huge open landscape, and the sniper rifle is the only weapon in the game that doesn't have to deal with travel time. It's extremely hard to counter. Traditional methods such as suppressing or flanking don't really work.

Notice I've claimed nowhere that sniping isn't effective, nor that its presence in other games doesn't arouse the ire of opponents. What's exclusive to Tribes/Legions isn't either of those points, but the entire anti-O-sniping attitude and its associated paradox.

You've seen the innumerable threads, I'm sure, where people claim that o-sniping is absolutely ineffective yet warrants massive nerfs (implying overpowering effectiveness). Personally, I wouldn't be too bothered by an opposition wasting its time on ineffective tactics, but hey: maybe that's just me.

That was my point.

As for sniping being worse in Legions and Tribes, I'm going to disagree – especially given that the primary gametype is CTF. The maps are large, yes, but players traverse those distances relatively quickly. An organized offense shouldn't have difficulties with snipers; and in the past, this community's suffered more from lack of the former than abundance of the latter. (Or perhaps from an abundance of the latter due to a lack of the former).

jago

I was accused of OSniping someone someone today who was camping in the middle of the map , shooting flag runners (*cough* spawn sniping) ... said person claimed that Osniping is shooting someone who is not moving ......... naturally i thought this was completely F:)ing ridiculous , but i'd figured i'd ask here since i have only been playing for a few weeks ... and check if ive violated the unwritten rule of Osniping, by pwning said player.

a good sniper is the best defender not allowing the opposing team to get anywhere near his flag. if the other team is unable to change their tactics to overcome the sniper thats their problem not yours so dont change your game keep at it, if u want any tips ask fireblasto i think hes 1 of the best osnipers around gets me alot anyway. Peace :cool:

Dacil

I've always considered o-sniping to be sniping an enemy at their base and not while they're midfield.

i disagree because being mid-field and sniping any enemy that isn't putting your teammates or flag in danger is offensive sniping

technically mid-field sniping of the enemy that doesn't have the flag sounds like o-sniping to me =/ but i think defensive sniping is pretty fun (when you snipe at LOs and enemies that have your flag, whether the person with your flag is mid-field or wherever, they still have YOUR flag)

DKnight556

I think they should add a new sent class that has a sniper rifle and a combination of the other weapons (chaingun, rocket launcher, nades)

Back on topic: O snipers are easy to counter. In most pubs, i have found, that most of the time the o snipers are the bored ones and can't snipe really well, granted i will get people disagreeing with me because they found a couple that could. I just tell people to stop being a bunch of winers and just shoot the guy.

Propkid

w/e osniping really is;
I tend to snipe targets that are leaving their base/on a caproute/ are involved in flag combat/ have the flag/ are the HoF regardless of their position on the map. So don't get mad at me if you are in your base at Nivosus and while jumping for the giggles you get sniped by me- 'it looked like you were starting to go for our flag'.
IMO osniping that is a tactic has to be effective in some way, just like all tactics are. 'Shooting out randomly at idle defenders' seems to be the current meaning of the word 'osniping', but compare it to the way I (and hopefully other snipers) tend to use it in PUGs; when trying to return the flag I don't go all in with my RL but wait for some teammates to get in and then I wait for the moment when the enemy capper can be one-hit-killed with a sniper shot. That way he can't pass and we're more likely to return.
^That is what IMO the word 'osniping' should mean if it was literally derived from 'Offensive Sniping'. For some reason people blend this 'true' meaning with the greatly annoying random-laser-beams-in-my-face-when-im-at-base.

If you do the latter then stop. If you do what I do then nevermind what the others say.

Reactions: Aki

BestCharmie

Off-topic: Good thing, I helped out new buddy, Trinium.
See, DSniping isn't that bad. You get no bad reputation and you help your team even more.

On-topic: Well for what I know about o-sniping that it is offensive sniping or sniping enemy defense their own base. One o-sniper that can be good at it would be Metreon.

Well for me, I o-snipe. But I just spam the button heading for enemy base for distractions, lol. And I only o-snipe osnipers.