Name login

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
As far as I can see there is "Member" written under my name. But under your name I caught a glimpse of "Developer".

So I don't know whose task that more probably is.

<Jord> inb4 GReaper rapes riptack
<Fixious>
6FqmI.gif

<Fissurez> ohfuck

Triad

Legions Developer
As far as I can see there is "Member" written under my name. But under your name I caught a glimpse of "Developer".

So I don't know whose task that more probably is.
Just because it says "Developer" under his name doesn't mean that's his job; we have developers who don't code (GReaper can code, though). The authentication is my job, but I'm not doing anything until I hear some sort of news about the future of this game.

RiPTaCk

Just because it says "Developer" under his name doesn't mean that's his job; we have developers who don't code.
I know, that is why I used the expression "more probably".
The authentication is my job, but I'm not doing anything until I hear some sort of news about the future of this game.
This game is dead. Well not really dead, kind of undead. Like a zombie who refuses to die, even though his legs, his arms and part of his face were blown away.

RiPTaCk

Now you're getting insulting. Wow thats what I call a real developer. We haven't seen these in a while.

GReaper

Grumpy
Everyone seems to focus on the negatives that a lack of authentication brings, but rarely have people ever looked at the disadvantages of authentication.

- Registration used to require email validation, so we'd end up losing a chunk of players because they never received their email - or they were simply too impatient to wait for it. You guys lost new players because of this.
- Registration was then made instant so validation wasn't required, you can still instantly create an account. It takes all of 30 seconds to create a new smurf account and login to it.
- Authentication was in script. It was unreliable and insecure. When connections between the game server and authentication server were lost we'd end up having to restart game servers just to get things working again - this was unacceptable and killed games.
- We couldn't release it. If another player run their own dedicated server and you connected to it, the server admin could take your session ID and use it to take your name on another server.
- The scoreboard is yet another thing done entirely in script! So even if you had connected as an authenticated user, the server owner could alter pretty much everything anyway.
- It was a nightmare for development, every developer had to get a login for their server to use the authentication server. We were also forced to be paranoid and treated every developer as a threat who could release this info.

There was a choice between either player hosted servers, map making tools, releasing the full scripts to the game. Alternatively we could've kept everything locked up, no custom maps, no scripts, official servers only.

Which would you prefer?

GReaper

Grumpy
You've got the server support, you've got the scripts. Sadly nobody finished/released the map editor to the public.

It's the only thing I really wanted as a last final release - the ability for players to create their own content. But unfortunately interest from those doing it didn't last long enough to finish it.

RiPTaCk

What about fixing in-game names to account names. Making an account equals work, people don't like to work, even though its just a little amount of work and time.

Or making it so that you can only change it once per month or whatever.

You don't need a whole authentication thingy. Its the easier solutions you have to be looking for.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
What about fixing in-game names to account names. Making an account equals work, people don't like to work, even though its just a little amount of work and time.

Or making it so that you can only change it once per month or whatever.

You don't need a whole authentication thingy. Its the easier solutions you have to be looking for.

I especially love the part where you ignore everything that has been said by the devs.

someone find me a 100megapixel image of a facepalm. I think we need it.

Pure

I'm sorry for not reading through 99% of bullshit to find the 1 % that is worth reading.
Since when did you turn into such a dipshit, if you don't know *chocolate cookies* what you're talking about just shut the *dance* up.

RiPTaCk

I love posting when I'm drunk but nontheless most of my posts contain simple and true facts which get answered, containing insults and *chocolate cookies*, and then you expect me to behave properly. I don't know man, I seriously don't.

Pure

I love posting when I'm drunk but nontheless most of my posts contain simple and true facts which get answered, containing insults and *chocolate cookies*, and then you expect me to behave properly. I don't know man, I seriously don't.

No they don't.