General Core Feedback

Fixious

Test Lead
This will be a general thread for the new cores in the 1.40 public test build. Discuss balance, suggestion, issues, etc. New Cores are:

Dodge
Boost
Shield
Engineer (see other thread)
Regen (it got some tweaks)

s3YOLOSWAGg

i leik dodge. i leik legions. i leik skill-based games!

overall I think the new cores are pretty darn balanced.

Armageddon

Teapot
My only problems are with the boost core, it seems to have a slight delay between activation and applying the boost to the player. I'm not sure if this was caused by lag maybe but i didn't feel any lag while using the OD core prior to it.
The damage it causes to the player also seems to be a bit too much for how little speed it gives you.

loc

#1 Private Tester
The boost core will have more of a delay at higher speeds if that is what you were experiencing.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The boost core is designed to be a noob version of nade boosting, that's why it gives you less of a boost at higher speeds. In my opinion, the boost code doesn't really add anything to the game.

Fixious

Test Lead
If you're good it doesn't. Those who can't combo it will. This has been said many, many times throughout private test. It's also useful for scrambling for the flag (along with Dodge).

skinnyman

I find it slightly hard to use the dodge core, dodging in the direction last pressed makes it confusing to use in a fight, since I'm not keeping a note on which direction I pressed so I can't really be tactical if that makes sense. I would prefer a way to dodge in the direction of my retical instead, btw blog says direction of ret but it is not.
Also I think it uses a lot of energy if you are an outrider, you don't have enough when you need it, energy consumption + cool down makes it really hard to use.
So dodge in direction of retical and less energy consumption for outriders..probably not a popular view =P

Also for the shield core, hard to know if you have it on or not when you're in first person. You could have some sort of activation color or something slightly bigger than that small thing at the top and place it somewhere on the screen.

Fixious

Test Lead
Dodge core is getting some changes so it'll be a little less confusing to use (see this post). Shield core notification is definitely getting some work as well. It does play a faint 'hum' when activated, but we agree that it isn't enough. Visual confirmation would definitely be nice. Core activation in general could use some more work.

skinnyman

What do you guys think of making the boost core boost in direction of ret rather than direction of movement? Easier to handle then I think...

skinnyman

That is bad =/ I think the ret method is better, more control in which direction you boost can be used in many ways unlike boosting in a direction you are already moving. Although I think it may be more close to the way dodge core works because then I will be able to boost myself away from attacks, but I prefer to boost in direction of my choosing.
Still dodging/boosting in ret direction is better than dodging/boosting without a nice control over the direction you move.

skinnyman

But with boost users they will be moving a lot more then sents, they will have more freedom to boost in the direction of their choice but will also have to think about how the force may effect their speed should they wish not to boost in a forward direction. It does take away from the iOD sents have but has more to it than iOD since it relies on the speed and direction of the player...right? =S
I'm no chaser but would it not help them slightly more in being able give a slight boost in their chosen direction rather than the direction they are moving which may cause them to loose the capper?
Well you guys probably know best if this causes any unbalance issues with the other cores/gameplay.
I assume the ret method being applied to outrider/rider would make them op...
Anyway I only had problems with the dodge core and that small shield core issue. I can probably get used to the boost. =]

Maxter

Regen core suggestion: After playing with it for a while, I have to say that I like the way it regenerates the health on a pace rather than instantaneously. Still I think it could be even more useful if it could actually heal other players as well. A small AoE around the user which will heal teammates touching the field.

I got the idea from watching the green sprinkler effect occured whenever you activate it. So it looks like the core is spreading outwards and the small green heal orbs are being absorbed by others closeby.

Opinion on other cores:

Engineer: Love it. Great job done by devs. Might look like it's op once you get all the deployables going, but getting to the higher levels takes time and work, so it's justified in my opinion.

Boost: Useful. Like some posters mentioned above, people who can't nade boost properly or don't know how cause their new, can just use this core. If you already know how to nade boost, good for you, you can use other cores without losing anything.

Dodge: Used it a bit. Can't say I find it very useful. It's a bit confusing to work with as well.

Shield Core: I don't know if I would call it op like few others. It pretty much pins you to the ground as you use it, making you vulnerable to ground pound. Maybe it's op when used in combination with Outrider, but otherwise it's fine. Probably most useful for Sentinels.

Just a note; Shield core is useless against Blaster Rifle fire(which I absolutely love). DoT still works on the enemy.

New core suggestion: Decoy Core. When activated makes a clone of you with half your health. Decoy's IFF is always visible to the enemy. Could be pretty useful as distraction.

That's about it. Having fun with all the new stuff so far, so great job with the update guys.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Dodge: Used it a bit. Can't say I find it very useful. It's a bit confusing to work with as well.

Shield Core: I don't know if I would call it op like few others. It pretty much pins you to the ground as you use it, making you vulnerable to ground pound. Maybe it's op when used in combination with Outrider, but otherwise it's fine. Probably most useful for Sentinels.

Dodge I see as being a pretty high level play core. You have to have a sixth sense about when you are vulnerable to ground pound or MA and not use it in situations where it wasn't needed and now on cooldown. Also there are some pretty fun cap things to try with it.. you can come in lined up with a ammo station on frost and dodge left suddenly going right in line for the flag. Wont work once they catch on to it but if you toss dodge on now and then and do that , could become a thing for some cappers.

Shield.. I have heard from OP to actually hurts to have it.. I think we should give it more time to see how it plays out.

Maxter

Dodge I see as being a pretty high level play core. You have to have a sixth sense about when you are vulnerable to ground pound or MA and not use it in situations where it wasn't needed and now on cooldown. Also there are some pretty fun cap things to try with it.. you can come in lined up with a ammo station on frost and dodge left suddenly going right in line for the flag. Wont work once they catch on to it but if you toss dodge on now and then and do that , could become a thing for some cappers.

True enough. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that it's a Core not meant for me to test, considering that I play in high ping and all. It takes a moment for me to collect myself after I activated it, enough time for my enemy to relocate me and start shooting.

About the Shield core; well I messed around with it a bit more. Looks like a Heavy with a Shield core can block out 2 direct rocket hits before it collapses, and can take a direct mortar hit with about 20% health loss. Not surprising considering the Heavy's energy pool. Still, it's a core not meant to be used consistently by any class(especially the heavy due to the low energy recharge rate). In my opinion, it's fine as it is. I'd say we give the new stuff more time before thinking of "fixes".

Edit:
Shield core suggestion: Zero energy recharge while it's turned on. Make it a "hold R" mechanic than a toggle to let players decide the best time to activate it.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
We are aware of some dodge core lag right now , sometimes it exits you going way too fast because of it. Working on a fix.