Engineer Feedback

Fixious

Test Lead
This is a general feedback thread for Engineer in the current 1.40 public test build. Discuss balance, suggestion, issues, etc.

Fixious

Test Lead
Just some general data from a few games today. The unlock system is as follows:

lvl0(base)=rocket turret, healpad, ammo station, mk1 sensor
lvl3=mk1 boost, mk1 guardian turret
lvl5=mk2 reactor
lvl6=mk2 sensor, mk1 chrono-iris
lvl7=mk2 boostpad
lvl9=mk2 guardian, mk3 reactor
lvl10=chrono-iris mk2, chain turret
lvl11=mk3 sensor, teleport pad
lvl13=disruptor
lvl14=mk3 guardian turret, laser turret
lvl15=mk3 chrono-iris, mk4 reactor

I never really got the chance to see what exactly unlocks at each specific level when testing. I simply quick leveled myself to 15 to test all the stuff.

Armageddon

Teapot
The only thing i noticed lastnight was reactors randomly blowing up without taking any damage from other players, which made all the deployed turrets/sensors lumps of scrap. Also noticed a lot of lag when looking in the direction of multiple deployables, which made coming in for flag grabs really choppy.

Deploy lag at waypoint.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
The only thing i noticed lastnight was reactors randomly blowing up without taking any damage from other players, which made all the deployed turrets/sensors lumps of scrap.

There is a pretty intricate thing going on with reactors and power drain from deployables , when they run out of juice they blow up. Anyone with the engineer core can see a reactors power stats with a hud on the right when its equiped. The closest reactor is always at the top of the list.There should be a more in depth power guide up soon I hope.

Armageddon

Teapot
Unfortunately I was kinda expecting this on low end machines.

I was kind of expecting it, from fooling around on Def's mod with the deployed shapes causing a lot of lag and my PC is still pretty good.

Case: Thermaltake Armor A60 AMD LEO Edition VM200P1W2Z Black SECC ATX Mid Tower
MotherBoard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD7 AM3+ 990FX SATA 6GB/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core
Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SSD 1: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive
PSU: NZXT HALE82 750w
HHD 1: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
CPU Fan: Sunbeam Twister 120 CW-TWI-120-SV 120mm x 2 MFDB CPU
Video Card(s): 2x GIGABYTE GV-R695OC-1GD Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Bay 1 5.25: Scythe KC02 - MBK - 5 Kama Cabinet Pro Storage Box for a 5.25" Bay
Bay 2 5.25: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
Bay 3 5.25: StarTech FANDRIVE2BK Plastic 5.25" Drive Bay Hard Drive Cooler -2 Fans
Extra Fans: Thermaltake A2492 120mm Case Fan
Bay 1 3.5: Scythe KQ01-BK-3.5 "KAZE Q" Fan Controller

Royalty

The Aussie
After a couple of games with the engineer, I have really enjoyed myself. I think the engineer is a great addition to the game, particularly in the sense that it levels the playing field between high and low ping (ever so slightly), and that it still gives player with high ping a way to enjoy the game despite their ping.

The only thing I don't like is that reactors have that self-destruct thing. I mean, they are already fairly easy to kill....

I think the self-destruct timer on reactors should be removed, or that it should be implemented that reactors can only be damage within a certain distance. Eg- no camping on the walls in Elegiac and spamming rockets at reactors.

Fixious

Test Lead
I think the self-destruct timer on reactors should be removed, or that it should be implemented that reactors can only be damage within a certain distance. Eg- no camping on the walls in Elegiac and spamming rockets at reactors.

That's what guardian turrets are for. ;)

The self destruct thing just means too much stuff is connected to a Reactor. The rate will show this. The more stuff that's connected to it, the lower the Rate is. Don't go below 0 and you're good. Personally I'd like the option to set my own Reactor as 'public' or 'private'. Private meaning only my stuff will connect to it.

Maxter

Personally I'd like the option to set my own Reactor as 'public' or 'private'. Private meaning only my stuff will connect to it.

Exactly! It's annoying that we have to "request" others not to set up deployables next to ours. People might do so because they didn't know, or they do but want to irritate you.

Reactions: Sin

Sin

Private Tester
Personally I'd like the option to set my own Reactor as 'public' or 'private'. Private meaning only my stuff will connect to it.

After playing today...PLEASE YES. Under Ele base i keep getting trolled by people spamming down deployables up top so my reactor cant keep up....and then noobs sapping my reactor power instead of their own :(

Poponfu

Lead Developer
After playing today...PLEASE YES. Under Ele base i keep getting trolled by people spamming down deployables up top so my reactor cant keep up....and then noobs sapping my reactor power instead of their own :(

I thought of this a while ago and was waiting to see if its a thing. Ill probably make the engineer remote button toggle it if reactor is the closest.

Also notice the information on the right of your HUD. It will list any nearby reactors, their power, rate, and if it currently has an XP Multiplier. Reactors can only handle so many items, which increases with each new Reactor you gain access to (there are 4 available Reactors in the game). The power and rate numbers act as a guide as to how many items the reactor can handle, as will the power beams. Once the rate gets near 0, an orange power beam will appear, signifying that it can't handle another item. If you decide to place one anyway you will start to see the power drain, and the reactor will eventually explode. If there's a nearby friendly Reactor the asset will attempt to connect to that instead (if it can handle it). XP Multipliers will kick in after 4 minutes of placing the Reactor, and help give you a little boost in gaining XP. Any item connected to a Reactor that has the XP Multiplier will benefit from the multiplier.

from http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/the-engineer-guide.4979/

Fixious

Test Lead
It's unlikely Engineer will make it onto Frosty. It'll mainly be for the bigger maps (Ele, Core, Blade, Fallout, etc). The issue with putting engy on Frost or Nivo is how small they are. You can place 4 or so ammo stations around the flag stand that'll basically act as a wall against cappers. I suppose you could place no-deploy zones, but I still think they're too small for assets. That said, I would like one or two more maps added to public test that support engineer. I can see Fallout working, especially with the base. Zenith is another possibility, though there are few spots where your Reactor will be hidden from enemies.

Maxter

It's unlikely Engineer will make it onto Frosty. It'll mainly be for the bigger maps (Ele, Core, Blade, Fallout, etc). The issue with putting engy on Frost or Nivo is how small they are. You can place 4 or so ammo stations around the flag stand that'll basically act as a wall against cappers. I suppose you could place no-deploy zones, but I still think they're too small for assets. That said, I would like one or two more maps added to public test that support engineer. I can see Fallout working, especially with the base. Zenith is another possibility, though there are few spot where you Reactor will be hidden from enemies.

In my opinion, you guys are better off creating new maps to include Engineer, rather than trying to make it playable on maps like Nivosis and Frostbyte.

Fixious

Test Lead
Isn't that ideal?
As an Engineer? No. I'd want my Reactor to be well protected from enemy fire. If someone can spam rockets from a distance and kill my Reactor, it isn't in a good spot. This can be achieved later on with guardian turrets, but starting out it'd be impossible. I've yet to see players place Reactors in better positions on Elegiac, other than Sin (who was/is a PT). They keep placing them out in the middle. Use the bases!
In my opinion, you guys are better off creating new maps to include Engineer, rather than trying to make it playable on maps like Nivosis and Frostbyte.
With the map editor going public I'm sure this will eventually happen.