Bin Laden

MightySheep

if they buried him in land youd get conspiracy freaks digging him up to confirm that he's dead or haters who want to rape his corpse etc

Vinzyboy23

Watch out for an e-mail in your mail that subjects the video of the execution of Osama Bin Laden. If you click on that it will automatically send it to someone you know.

IT'S A FRIGGIN' VIRUS FOR *dance's* SAKE. The FBI warned us about it too! And this is not a joke, and you've been warned.

Strife

I was talking with some of my friends about this as well: why exactly wasn't he put up for trial in The Hague?

http://www.thenation.com/blog/160332/jsoc-black-ops-force-took-down-bin-laden said:
Col. W. Patrick Lang, a retired Special Forces officer with extensive operational experience throughout the Muslim world, described JSOC’s forces as “sort of like Murder, Incorporated.” He told The Nation: “Their business is killing Al Qaeda personnel. That’s their business.”

I don't think he would have made it out alive even if it was any other part of the American army that had found him.

That boils it down to the same question: why did they choose to go in for the kill, instead of capture and international prosecution?

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Because it's far far easier for them that way, and because they can get away with it. American "ethics"...

Strife

I'm sure they have all kinds of reasons to feed us, but I've been browsing some articles about it and I'm liking this one. Though I take any news I read or hear with a grain of salt, especially from or about America and its affairs, this seems to be a likely scenario (the embarrassment part, not so much the "the president has no choice" part).

Redvan

Private Tester
That boils it down to the same question: why did they choose to go in for the kill, instead of capture and international prosecution?
They went in for the capture.

However, they were fired upon. Now, when you fire at a Navy Seal, they don't like that, and *chocolate cookies* goes down. They're not going to take a chance with a capture once they've started taking fire.

Strife

They went in for the capture.

I don't know how true that is. With all of our military technology they probably could have disabled Osama after killing everyone else.

However, they were fired upon. Now, when you fire at a Navy Seal, they don't like that, and *chocolate cookies* goes down. They're not going to take a chance with a capture once they've started taking fire.

"Bin Laden was shot in his head and chest and killed after he retreated into his room. An official said "he didn't hold up his hands and surrender", and his retreating into the room was considered a hostile act. There were two weapons near him, including an Ak-47 and a Russian-made 9 millimeter semi-automatic Makarov pistol, but he was shot before he could reach his AK-47 according to his wife Amal."

If he didn't have a weapon in his hands you would think they could have just fired to disable instead of killing him outright. It's difficult to tell without knowing the exact scenario, though.

Heartsong

I wouldn't be surprised if their orders were just "Disable Geronimo" without any indication of whether or not they should be leaving him alive. Frankly, it seems our country just wanted him dead regardless of whether we killed him in the field or we put him into a travesty of a trial before executing him "legally".

Seriously, what do you think the outcome would have been had we taken him alive? We'd put him through a show trial, execute him and dump his body some place where it's hard to build a shrine. The way that it played out was simply the more honest reflection of our intentions.