Big Fat Weapon Update on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahidhar

I appreciate the additions you guys made to this game, but there is something I would like to ask the developers. Can we not change the traits of the vanilla weapons too much? I've tried out the new grenade launcher(the one without the cluster), and it didn't feel right. The explode distance has been tremendously increased, and now you have to use all your jets to actually get your grenade to explode rather than bounce. I've tried out it's bounce effect for a bit, and it seems interesting. There could be some creative ways to fight with it, but I don't want to be forced into using only that.

As a Grenadier, and because this is pretty much my most preferable weapon of all, all I ask is, that you guys restore the Grenade Launcher to its original bounce distance, while keeping the current bounce effect. There may be only a few like me who use the Grenade Launcher, as a primary weapon, but we do love the weapon for what it is. Hope you guys understand. Thanks.

Dacil

ty for the update!!
I was wondering if you guys would be up for a Raider LR/Bolt combo, as I was playing I was really wanting to have both

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Yar, agreeing with the removal of Mortar pointblank MA shots. Another thing that I noticed was that I could stand on top of the flag, then shoot the mortar down at myself. Since it explodes when the projectile hits my player model, it makes timing mortar shots against incoming cappers a bit too easy.

Don't want to see Mortar MA's entirely taken out, though, midrange-longrange mortar MAs are hella fun.
One hit killing outriders makes me so happy :D

Hueman

I love the bolt now. Its my favorite. I dont like the fact that it doesn't tell me the distance i MA'd some one though. The 'Green Death' is a bit annoying only because i cant cap now (ill get over this very soon), but i like the challenge. The GL changes are epic! thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys are the best!

ContingencyPl4n

Elite Pro Mapmaker
One SUGGESTION for the Mortar please: Have the mortar fire up more, I HATE looking super high to hit a target thats mid range. If you need to tweak the projectile speed/range/what ever, that will be fine, I just want to not look up and a 75 degree angle to hit someone mid field in Niv. Other then that:

"No, you did NOT shoot that green *chocolate cookies* at me" - Will Smith, Independence Day.

Armageddon

Teapot
And to think i was going to give the game up for a bit.

All and all i love the update...*Gasp*
SB is much better now but like others have said the explosion could use a little work.
Mortar is great, glad to see it in legions. My only beef with it is the explosion, just a tad too dark- it looks like a pine tree exploding.
Blaster is my new favorite weapon along side the new nades, they make a great pair.
Plasma is fun the projectile is a bit strange looking, had fun tower creeping with it alot.

My only real problem is the names.. Blaster and Plasma are backwards.

amirite?

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
My only real problem is the names.. Blaster and Plasma are backwards.

amirite?
Meh, the Plasma Gun in Quake is probably how they got the name (or at least some inspiration, seeing as you can moderately plasma jump up slopes)
I'm lovin the GLII - it's fun to play with.
This update will no doubt revolutionize competition. Sentinels are now an important class, and I expect to see more than two sentinels in a given game.

Draconator

You know, I think you got a bit confused
I think the plasma gun should be the blaster while the blaster should be the plasma gun
I mean, the blaster should shoot these small weak projectiles, while the plasma gun shoots the red ones(better if they were a bit brighter)... it doesn't even fit to the concept art of the plasma gun
And where is the model for the skybolt? it's like the 4th update with it and still you don't have any.

about FX? The mortar explosion is not that exciting as it was in T2, it looks like the mortar from T:V...
About the skybolt? It urgently needs better trail if you want it to look like a railgun weapon... close to a Quake like trail or like Schwarzenegger's gun from "Eraser"

Also, I forgot to mention that the new hand grenades look like crap... I'd like to see them back in the original look...
And one more thing: color the frag grenades in their original color and the boost grenades in blue or purple

Karnage

Private Tester
Frankly, although I see where these things are going and I like most of the developments, I don't see why the raider needs a timed explosion. If any class needs a timed explosion it's the heavy defender. It just doesn't make sense to me. I would rather use clusters than mortar because I can time things better. That said I do like the throwing distance of the mortar and the ability to MA with it, although, with my ping that is unlikely to happen a lot. Also, the mortar doesn't seem nearly as powerful as it was made out to be. The range seems a little small to me. Give me a timed mortar with a slightly bigger blast radius and I will never complain about anything again. Probably. :)

Aki

I have now gotten to play with the updates a little more, and I have a couple of new comments:

I preferred the bounce characteristics of the old GL. I tried playing LO as Bomber (my favorite) and I wasn't much pleased. From high up, it feels just like the old GL, but when I get in a little closer, my shots bounce like bouncey balls and by the time it bursts my target has glided safely away. I noted that if you hit right next to an opponent with feet on the ground, it will burst, but if you hit more than a meter or two away it just bounces. I'm sure the added bounce is well intentioned and well suited for bouncing off hills and walls, but, on a Moonshine base where it's flat and close in, I really don't want those things bouncing; I want them to explode right where they hit. Alternatively, make them burst if they've bounced and an enemy is within 5 meters (make for some sneaky MAs).

I bet no one will agree with this one: SB is a little underpowered. Granted, this may only be because I'm not one of those crazy players who can juggle you in the air with MAs. When I do get a shot, though, I am always disappointed that I've only taken away something like 40%, compared to the RL's 75% on OR. On raider, RL takes 54% and SB takes 27%. I already agree that there SHOULD be a disparity between the two given SB's higher RoF and speed, but I think the gap should be just a little less. It's especially disheartening to take a rocket in the face and be almost dead, return the favor, and realise you still need to get a direct hit at least two more times to even your health. I also think SB should transfer more kinetic energy--it was a lot more useful when we first tested it and you could nail a capper and knock him way off course. Besides that, I would think a rail gun would carry more KE than a rocket: you have a long rod made of high density metal striking you at a speed of at least 760 m/h [~=340 m/s](according to the blog); making allowances for gameplay, that should at least stop you dead if you're not moving faster than 150 m/s (realistically, it should shred to pieces pretty much anything short of 30 ft of reinforced concrete, especially if the target is moving toward the projectile a 140 m/s for a total impact speed of 480 m/s). Compare that to a rocket moving at 100 m/s (or w/e) with the explosive power of a stick or two of TNT. Not that I'm an engineer, but the rail gun sounds like it has the bigger oompf for kinetic energy. I would suggest keeping KE restricted only to the object struck, of course; how does a solid rod of metal transfer KE to something it hasn't touched?

I think that's everything for now... I feel like there was one more, but I can't remember it right now.

Immanent

There may be only a few like me who use the Grenade Launcher, as a primary weapon, but we do love the weapon for what it is.

Hah! Duelling you now will be like boxing a crippled 1 arm boxer :D

I hardly ever use grenades, except to look pro when duelling, so this update doesn't affect me that much ^.^

qqchurch

The Blaster is fun to spam. It also has a funny noise.

The Mortar is fun to make KB raeg.

The Plama Rifle is kind of like a 'Twilight'd version (ala sparkly) version of the CG.

The Raider Cluster looks small.

The hand grenades look like you're carrying balls of exploding fire or ice.

I haven't tried everything yet, but first impressions look fine. Sounds, models and graphics have to be tweaked (obviously) but I like the new weapons.

Fixious

Test Lead
Wouldn't mind seeing how the blaster would perform if it were based on your energy, rather than actual ammo.

Created

@Aki: As far as I know missiles are designed to be quite fragile up front, so the explosion mechanism is set in action directly on impact. So there's no kinetic energy transfer from the missile itself, only from the blast. Seeing how the SB does lower damage than the RL, the bouncing/rocket jumping/w.e. should be less from a SB compared to a RL :p

Will try out the changes later today, I'm just wondering now why the GL changes. I always loved it the way it was. May I ask to a dev: Why the longer range on the GL? As far as I've experienced before, the range is just good as it is. At chasing I've never had any problems hitting the capper with nades even if they were a bit ahead. This will make it even easier to chase with nades? Just curious on this one.

Abandoned

So I tried "rocketjumping" with the blaster today. Epic fail.
The damage from the Plasma gun should be nerfed. It feels like I could shoot the ground and get almost the same boost as a rocketjump.

Aki

Wouldn't mind seeing how the blaster would perform if it were based on your energy, rather than actual ammo.

This isn't Tribes 2, bro ;)

But to answer, I'm sure it would just piss people off. Imagine being in the Stygian tunnels, blasting away. Suddenly, a Sent drops a mortar in your lap. But, because you're close, the shell bounces and you have about a sec and a half to get away. But, oh, what a shame, you're out of energy from using the blaster. Too bad, you die. If you'd had jets, you might have survived.

Status
Not open for further replies.