Big Fat Weapon Update on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

phanakapan

Private Tester
After some more testing I think the mortars range/power should be increased. It just doesn't seem like you can shoot it far enough which is a real shame for trying to get those long range capper kills. I understand mortar spam would become a bigger issue, but I honestly think it is worth risking a bit more spam to have the qeapon really feel more epic. I loved getting those lucky long range over hill capper kills with the mortar in tribes.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
[...]although I still don't think many people are going to be using it[...]

How can you draw such conclusions? Just the way I think the laser rifle is lame and you use it, there will be people using the skybolt, regardless of whether some think it's not useful or effective.

On topic, I find that the plasma size, projectile speed and splash should be increased, and the rate of fire should be decreased (i.e. make it more like the one in Tribes, less like the one in Quake); it'd be nice to also see a slight increase in the blaster's projectile speed; and, as it is currently, the mortar works well, but you may want to increase the splash to emphasize the power of the weapon.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
How can you draw such conclusions? Just the way I think the laser rifle is lame and you use it, there will be people using the skybolt, regardless of whether some think it's not useful or effective.

I can draw these conclusions by playing euro pickup games, and from playing quite a few of them, very few people use it.

HellzHere

the normal GL like the one on the gunner now has increased bounce, and the cluster grenade without armed has decreased bounce....the bounce on the old GL was perfect. I mean sometimes i shot knowing its not going to explode on impact, but i aim to ethier shoot it where he is gonna land or it will just land right next to him. I cant do this anymore with the new bouncing :/

I understand why u changed it, so u can shoot over hilltops etc, but i have never been in a situation like that....and usually i am coming into teh base at a high speed allowing me to fly over the hilltop so i can kill whoever.

Please change it back to the way it was

I'll jolt down a few things I've noticed and that seemed to be shared with some other people playtesting:

Gameplay:
GL - Feels excellent.
Mortar - Could use a boost in range. Also, seems to be a bit too weak. Its max damage is alright, but it could do with higher damage within it's radius.
Blaster -Awesome indoors, so far not worth it anywhere else. Not sure about this one.
Plasma - Great fun, not very effective. Goes random very easily.
Skybolt - I heard everyone say it could use a damage boost. I didn't use it, because the sound is just too annoying to deal with atm.

Esthetics:
Mortar - Like mentioned, please make the effect less 'puff of smoke' and more 'KABOOM'.
Blaster - Looks great, sounds fantastically quirky.
Plasma - The projectiles and their impacts are huge, making it look very spammy. Smaller projectiles and impacts please.
Skybolt - The sound, oh god the sound. It's also still very difficult to gauge where the projectile head is, making it very difficult to aim properly.

SHIVA_DISTROYER

hi
need some help please :)
so i tried to log into d test server,pressed ctrl & ` ...and wrote the password.waited for about 15 minutes,and couldnt log in the server. also at some point i tried again while the server was 11/16 players.
what im doing wrong?do you need teamspeak for the test servers to work?
thanks in advance.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Shiva Destroyer, you just need to highlight the server, hit join, and type in the password. You do not need to open the console.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Just click join, a password window should pop op. Enter the one that you can find in the blog post and you're ready to go. No need to open the console anymore (the same is also true for the other private servers, which are mostly used for PuGs. If you're playing in a PuG, you'll get the PW in TS3).

SHIVA_DISTROYER

Just click join, a password window should pop op. Enter the one that you can find in the blog post and you're ready to go. No need to open the console anymore (the same is also true for the other private servers, which are mostly used for PuGs. If you're playing in a PuG, you'll get the PW in TS3).

hi Gheist
sorry again ,but when i press the join button,i get to the blue screen ,connecting/leave game....but no pass word pop up comes :/
even when there was the rabbit test,i get that blue legions screen with out loading or any pop up comes up ...hmmm dont know what to do lol :)

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
May I ask to a dev: Why the longer range on the GL? As far as I've experienced before, the range is just good as it is. At chasing I've never had any problems hitting the capper with nades even if they were a bit ahead. This will make it even easier to chase with nades? Just curious on this one.
There were a couple of reasons GL got changed. Firstly the rocket and grenade combo is so powerful for ground pounding that it doesn't allow the entrance for other weapons to be effective. The grenade acted very much like the rocket and paired with CG for the air, it just didn't make sense to pick anything else. With the entrance of the cluster we can keep a lot of the similarities of the original GL but give it a slight nerf for the ground pound, and cluster bombing for the middle range. Secondly it separates the weapons a bit more, and fills a nitch that was missing before.

tl;dr - I think we all got used to how good the grenade was and it had to be toned down in one area and buffed in others to create a fuller circle for weapon selection. Use cluster if you want the ground pound (just don't manual det).

Synista

Plasma: Like many say, make the tracers smaller, can't lead my shots with a cloud of bubbles blocking my vision. Nice weapon too, I think it should do something more like this though. Good concept.

Mortar: More distance and the blast radius could be a little bigger but it shouldn't lose as much power the further away you are from it, if you know what I'm sayin'. Keep it nice a boomy so people are wary of the danger. Nevertheless, I like.

Bolt: Good, more power and a slightly larger blast radius, IMO. Don't like the sound much either, sounds pretty disturbing.

Lin

Im not getting the GL. The longer minimum det range and the bigger bounce make it feel like you guys are trying to push it away from dueling and close/mid range ground pounds, but the projectile arc is too steep to function well at anything beyond midrange. I say keep the increase the bouncing and increase the minimum det range, but make the arc a bit shallower and speed up the projectile so it can fall into the mid/long range splashing niche.

Libra

mortar
-change the color either red, yellow, orange or a mixture of the three
-lose the poisonous cloud look

plasma
-its cool with me just get rid of the damned bug lol

how about a better cg i love the cg

Status
Not open for further replies.