Who made you play the way you play today??

I'll admit, I was hoping I'd get more credit I won't lie, But I did get Unknown and that is all that matters to me :). I sure do miss the days of skiing around in a pub with a trail of like 6 people behind me lol.

I remember getting kicked from a server because you said I was O snipping while you had the flag in your hands if that makes you feel better =P. That is how I met mable and outlaw as well btw lol, no kicking from server tho, just being called "baby" and retarded while we argued over O snipping. I got many people mad at me......and that just fueled what I did. My goal was not trying to be annoying, but having the ability to shock and awe.

I want to shout out to JortoBadFingers and oblivian. They really inspired me to play heavy and use it for more than just a wall on the flag.

MJ1284

Man, you seem so vehemently against PUBS. As that's all I play I really feel bad about your experiences. I guess my standards are too low. :( It could be my ignorance of good play but you seem to get some bad players. I offer condolences.

Heh, thank you for sympathy. I should point out that I'm prone to making sarcastic remarks here and there, but Bulitz is correct when he says "Most people wouldn't even notice or care". As time goes on one starts to develop his/hers eye on teamplay as whole instead of focusing on individual performances, hench I find it occasionally very tedious to play on team where everybody is EITHER on offense or defense and can't seem to find good balance between the two (you need to have both sides covered in order to win, team who doesn't cap/doesn't cover flag carrier is very likely to lose no matter how good their individual players play).
I'm not really against PUBS, I get it that they're supposed to be free-for-all kind of thing (and standards should indeed be lower than in competetive matches), it's just the vast differences in skills that gets to me (especially if those skilled players are stacked in one team and nobody seems to care).
There is bliss in having lower standards, kudos to you for that, but it is inevitable as one gets better in terms of gameplay skills he/she starts setting his standards higher to get same kicks as he did earlier (compare to people who do extreme sports like climbing mountains and doing parachuting, once you get used to it you start to get bored with it).

I wouldn't want to derail this thread completely, if you want to discuss this further I'd gladly reply to PM's or a forum topic that is related to this issue.

jago

Heh, thank you for sympathy. I should point out that I'm prone to making sarcastic remarks here and there, but Bulitz is correct when he says "Most people wouldn't even notice or care". As time goes on one starts to develop his/hers eye on teamplay as whole instead of focusing on individual performances, hench I find it occasionally very tedious to play on team where everybody is EITHER on offense or defense and can't seem to find good balance between the two (you need to have both sides covered in order to win, team who doesn't cap/doesn't cover flag carrier is very likely to lose no matter how good their individual players play).
I'm not really against PUBS, I get it that they're supposed to be free-for-all kind of thing (and standards should indeed be lower than in competetive matches), it's just the vast differences in skills that gets to me (especially if those skilled players are stacked in one team and nobody seems to care).
There is bliss in having lower standards, kudos to you for that, but it is inevitable as one gets better in terms of gameplay skills he/she starts setting his standards higher to get same kicks as he did earlier (compare to people who do extreme sports like climbing mountains and doing parachuting, once you get used to it you start to get bored with it).

I wouldn't want to derail this thread completely, if you want to discuss this further I'd gladly reply to PM's or a forum topic that is related to this issue.
i was playing on the US servers last night and 3 games in a row all the top players decided to stay on 1 team they kept winning 10-1 or 10-2 after the third game id had enough and told them to sort out fair teams then i left in disgust

Alex

Everyone...I mean i never went begging for someone to train me as most people do today( actually someone asked me today to train him;))...and i also remember the countless Deathmatches me and my bud Warofdragons did on PUBs..

Disci

Old man
i was playing on the US servers last night and 3 games in a row all the top players decided to stay on 1 team they kept winning 10-1 or 10-2 after the third game id had enough and told them to sort out fair teams then i left in disgust

They probably were in TS3 in the same channel. That's very common in american community. After all it's funnier to play in the same team as your friends than making teams balanced. Some of them probably were trying to get some good screen shots for either "most kills" or "best rating" threads.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I gave the answer 'myself' earlier in this thread, and that is very true. But there are actually only two people in this community I'd like to thank, but even they had limited roles in teaching me how to play. They acted more as catalysts to speed up, rather than expand my knowledge.

Firstly, MariQo15. Although an insensitive bastard sometimes, a good player, and he dragged me out of the osniping days, and thought me some sniping skills before the sniper was changed. Also released a capping video on youtube that inspired me to cap. Second, the video entitled 'Full On!' by the one and only Disci, which taught me how to use contagious OD properly to chase (even though the two clips he recorded of it were not the best!), and a mechanic in the game that I wish was more used. A shoutout also goes out to MJ, who helped with a few editing tips (And the music that both me and him liked)

Other than that, no one has helped me play better. It has always been an encouragement however in pickup games to see who is scoring the best and then going out to get higher in the points list. I find the list an encouragement to see how well I'm playing, despite what position. If I'm scoring badly, I know I'm doing a *chocolate cookies* job, and look at myself to see how I can play better in that role. And usually I step my game up, helping my team more.

To be honest, I'm quite impressed with myself to reach this kind of level without any proper help or training. Hell, I never got told where the ammo boxes were, I never got told how to use the famous 'DOWNJAT', and I never played a pickup in the old IA days. I also feel that I can play any and all positions, finding it useful when I am captain, and don't get a player that I could of done with, as I can simple shuffle the team around and put myself in that required position. I find even when I'm not captain, playing a versatile amount of roles.

So therefore, everything apart from the things I have mentioned above, are completely and utterly self-taught. Which is why I said 'Myself'.

They probably were in TS3 in the same channel. That's very common in american community. After all it's funnier to play in the same team as your friends than making teams balanced. Some of them probably were trying to get some good screen shots for either "most kills" or "best rating" threads.

I don't believe it's something we commonly do. I mean, it happens sometimes, but we generally stick to the teams we are put on. I myself do enjoy switching teams to balance them out, but that doesn't always go the way I'd like it to.

Disci

Old man
I didn't think you would be one of those. After all you're smarter than most of the community. <3

About the post I made. I like to over exaggerate because if it happens only once it is still too much. In my books it is much worse type of griefing than any kind of tking or rabbiting.

DOS4/GW

Mj is on another level Trundle, hence why it's less fun too him. Most people wouldn't even notice or care .

And Darksent, 80 ping seriously bro. get out of here with that garbage. I would have killed for an 80 ping some days.

IMO it goes like this :

0-40 : God Like, Chain, Snipe, MA's , Body Blocks, Capping is all significantly more responsive
40-80 : Playable at a Competitive Level (good enough to not be used as an excuse)
80-130 : The limit at which ping effects gameplay anything over 130 is a handicap
130 + : You can pretty much only cap, Unless you've adapted from day 1 to that ping even then things like OD start acting weird.

This is spot on.

Redvan

Private Tester
The Canadian community stacks teams, takes names, and shoots moose.
I'm in MI and we recently had a C eh? n eh?d eh? i eh? n governor, does I count?

Really all I want is to take names to of those who find Seymour hawt so we can throw a big sleepover.

Skepsis

Mj is on another level Trundle, hence why it's less fun too him. Most people wouldn't even notice or care .

And Darksent, 80 ping seriously bro. get out of here with that garbage. I would have killed for an 80 ping some days.

IMO it goes like this :

0-40 : God Like, Chain, Snipe, MA's , Body Blocks, Capping is all significantly more responsive
40-80 : Playable at a Competitive Level (good enough to not be used as an excuse)
80-130 : The limit at which ping effects gameplay anything over 130 is a handicap
130 + : You can pretty much only cap, Unless you've adapted from day 1 to that ping even then things like OD start acting weird.

I dont play with 80 ping lols. I play with 20-40 :p