Spawn Updates on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
A load out / spawn screen is a MUCH better idea IMO.

so if defense needs to be slowed/balanced surely there are ways to do this without taking away from the speed by adding a tedious aspect to the game that is not really needed otherwise.

Perhaps Im lacking a bit of vision but I like how simple legions is compared to something like tribes and while legions IS in need of another level of depth (especially since the removal of class abilities) I think anything added that takes away from legions immediacy will hurt the game.

Not good for a game struggling for numbers.....

on that note, player hosted games seem far more crucial than anything else IMO as I know for a fact %90 of Aussies have given up on legions because of the ping, I was one of the few with playable ping here (100ms) for some reason its now usually 150 or so which has mostly killed my interest in playing now a days.

anak

VIP
i feel like it nerfs HoFs a little bit. i'll find out when i eventually get used to routinely visiting the ammo box, but it definitely stilts defensive gameplay.

Mahidhar

We can't properly test inventories until there are other changes as well. Also, since a large chunk of users are crashing, it should go away until that is fixed as well. We have other things that are more immediate that we are focusing on now. Inventory stations though will remain out of the picture for now until we get some more development in other areas that support that kind of gameplay and we can do proper tests to see if it's feasible to have inventory stations in the first place.
Now that is the kind of approach, I'm talking about. Way to go, guys.

GReaper

Grumpy
These changes have already been pushed to live servers, there are two settings involved:

SpawnLoadout - Default is nothing (allow spawning as any class), setting this to anything forces players to spawn with a particular loadout.
AmmoChangeLoadout - Default false, setting this to true results in players changing loadout when they hit an ammo station.

So if we want to add it at a later date, all we need to do is update the settings.

The update can also easily allow the equivalent of an LT or cluster mode for Legions by changing the spawn loadout to something else people would prefer (outrider with grenades, raider) and disabling ammo loadout changing.

It's in our own interest to code the game in a way so that things which are likely to be changed can be done so with updates to settings instead of having to go through hundreds of lines of code.

DeadPixel

Will this be disabled in pugs because let's say your a hof and your captain tells you to go on offence, it would waste time.

Calimo

spam the no button

deal-with-it.gif

Redvan

Private Tester
It does take some getting used to, and it does inherently slow down gameplay. A better spawn point system / more invo locations would help reduce the reduction in gameplay speed. That way, people can keep the pointless additional "depth" feature of having to go to an invo to change (that's just IMO, that it's pointless), but gameplay speed wouldn't suffer so much.

Invo stations such as this will also introduce a level of spawn camping that has not yet been seen. Currently, you spawn with everything you need. Jump right into the action against LOs. If you have to go to an invo station first, not only are you at a health disadvantage (due to OR), but you're also going to a predictable point for the LO to spam splash.

Perhaps in the future more will be added to the game to make this invo station worth it, but, it'll take a lot to make it worth it. Generators, destructible invos, etc... only then will it be worth considering an invo station like this.

I do hope people don't get caught up in the excitement of "added depth" just for the sake of "added depth". If "added depth" doesn't have a point, it's wasted depth.

Comashift

you know it'd be nice if you could just choose your load out before you spawn, along with being able to change with the ammo-stations. That way you can just choose what you want before you join a game and if you need to quickly change to another load out for some reason then just go to the station without respawning. *shrugs*

DKnight556

you know it'd be nice if you could just choose your load out before you spawn, along with being able to change with the ammo-stations. That way you can just choose what you want before you join a game and if you need to quickly change to another load out for some reason then just go to the station without respawning. *shrugs*
Respawn time is so quick that you could change classes faster by respawning.

This is a bit troubling for hofs. Respawn was a crucial part of the position because it was faster than waiting to heal of trying to ski back to the stand. This will stop hofs from doing this sadly. This gives the offense a greater advantage because some cappers I know will just go for the stand right when they spawn cause they know I can't get there fast enough with the spawn points that are in place now

Disci

Old man
Your team has to reinforce the defense when hof goes down. Pretty simple tactical change(along with few others) which will make you all better players.

Calimo

It does take some getting used to, and it does inherently slow down gameplay. A better spawn point system / more invo locations would help reduce the reduction in gameplay speed. That way, people can keep the pointless additional "depth" feature of having to go to an invo to change (that's just IMO, that it's pointless), but gameplay speed wouldn't suffer so much.

Invo stations such as this will also introduce a level of spawn camping that has not yet been seen. Currently, you spawn with everything you need. Jump right into the action against LOs. If you have to go to an invo station first, not only are you at a health disadvantage (due to OR), but you're also going to a predictable point for the LO to spam splash.

Perhaps in the future more will be added to the game to make this invo station worth it, but, it'll take a lot to make it worth it. Generators, destructible invos, etc... only then will it be worth considering an invo station like this.

I do hope people don't get caught up in the excitement of "added depth" just for the sake of "added depth". If "added depth" doesn't have a point, it's wasted depth.

I hate assuming things, but that last part smells as if it's directed towards me... But I do have allergies, so my sense of smell is dull.

I actually would love to get caught up in the excitement of a sense of added depth to the game, even if its wasted =P

And Redvan, you do bring up some good points that at first I did not even think of. Like spawning as OR,The handicap that is already placed on you health-wise. I believe that spawning as a gunner would be a better choice... but... Issues like those would need attention, I don't doubt them or am (totally) blind to them. But, we go into the testing servers to do just that, test.

In my opinion, I think this was worth a test. And my opinion still stands that it is a good move to try.
So what if there is spawn camping? If that becomes an issue, it would get fixed like any other issue that occurs in the game. It might take some time but... deal with it for a month. Better things could come from it.

I believe I've read before a certain player here who used the quote "adapt or die" ... and it seems to apply here.
Learn to change the tactics of your team. You can do what Disci said or throw another person on defense to guard the ammo stations, or do something else about it. There are ways around this problem. Find them.

I feel that the community needs to get out of their comfort zone and switch it up a little. Again, personal opinion coming through --- I can't tell you how irritated I get when I'm on the test server and people whine to a dev who's on that they don't like the map we're currently playing... and want it changed to frostbyte... I'm so sick of that map... I don't care if its a nice map, I've played on it so many times. I want to play on a map where the routes aren't as easy, and it takes more effort to grab the flag. Where everything is not so comfortable for the players.

To me, the added difficulty of not being able to spawn as what you want right away / the worry of spawn campers will make for stronger teams. A majority of players I feel look too into themselves at their independent skills. This is a team based game, work as one and you'll succeed. This potential update I view would have reinforced this idea. From what I view, people tend to put a greater emphasis on their forum posts (me included on this) than they do trying to learn how to adjust to the shifts of an evolving game.

I'm sorry if I insult at all in this post, it's not what I'm going for.

Disci

Old man
I want to play on a map where the routes aren't as easy, and it takes more effort to grab the flag. Where everything is not so comfortable for the players.

You guys remember map called IceDagger? It was a map where score end up being 1-0 in the end most of the times. It was a map where teams had to send in clearing squad who took out the HoF, and killed all the turrets and harrashed chasers and then a single capper came in and hopely got out alive with the flag. Then he had to take a long route back home before anyone could kill him. There was long standoffs where teams were turtling inside their inventory rooms and in the same time send out hordes of heavy offense trying to get flag back home. You just couldn't go in there and grab the flag alone. It was a bitch to cap on that map, but when you did you knew your team probably won the game.

When you introduce something like this to a game like Legions, people *chocolate cookies* their pants because it kills the speed and flow of the game and generaly makes it *chocolate cookies* Tribes clone which naturaly is *dancing* bad thing to do. If you can't go out there alone grab and cap, the game becomes crap. I do understand why people dislike changes like these. Ofcos anyone should be able to win the map on their own without help from their team mates. This, my dear friends, makes Legions so great game, which in the future will be played by thousands of people! IT JUST NEEDS SOME ADVERTISEMENT!!11one

Application-1

test bester
With other words, let us stop pleasing the pubstars so much and do whatever the *dance* we want, wich is tribes like gameplay. It is coming boys and girls! Legions going tribes! And if you don't like it then here is the door.
deur-open-houden-t14755.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.