Spawn Updates on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redvan

Private Tester
I hate assuming things, but that last part smells as if it's directed towards me... But I do have allergies, so my sense of smell is dull.

I actually would love to get caught up in the excitement of a sense of added depth to the game, even if its wasted =P

And Redvan, you do bring up some good points that at first I did not even think of. Like spawning as OR,The handicap that is already placed on you health-wise. I believe that spawning as a gunner would be a better choice... but... Issues like those would need attention, I don't doubt them or am (totally) blind to them. But, we go into the testing servers to do just that, test.

In my opinion, I think this was worth a test. And my opinion still stands that it is a good move to try.
So what if there is spawn camping? If that becomes an issue, it would get fixed like any other issue that occurs in the game. It might take some time but... deal with it for a month. Better things could come from it.

I believe I've read before a certain player here who used the quote "adapt or die" ... and it seems to apply here.
Learn to change the tactics of your team. You can do what Disci said or throw another person on defense to guard the ammo stations, or do something else about it. There are ways around this problem. Find them.

I feel that the community needs to get out of their comfort zone and switch it up a little. Again, personal opinion coming through --- I can't tell you how irritated I get when I'm on the test server and people whine to a dev who's on that they don't like the map we're currently playing... and want it changed to frostbyte... I'm so sick of that map... I don't care if its a nice map, I've played on it so many times. I want to play on a map where the routes aren't as easy, and it takes more effort to grab the flag. Where everything is not so comfortable for the players.

To me, the added difficulty of not being able to spawn as what you want right away / the worry of spawn campers will make for stronger teams. A majority of players I feel look too into themselves at their independent skills. This is a team based game, work as one and you'll succeed. This potential update I view would have reinforced this idea. From what I view, people tend to put a greater emphasis on their forum posts (me included on this) than they do trying to learn how to adjust to the shifts of an evolving game.

I'm sorry if I insult at all in this post, it's not what I'm going for.

No, not really directed at anyone... People have been wanting more depth to the game since its inception, myself included :) I just don't want depth to be added just for the sake of adding depth. If it's added "just for more depth", then it's pointless. If things are added to gameplay that have a point, then that's depth added with a purpose. I know we've all been sitting around with basically the same ol FE:L/L:O since the beginning, but, now's not the time to get desperate for depth. Things should be added when there is a reason to add it, and the dev team, imo, made a good decision to not implement this invo system just yet because there really was no reason for it.

I am totally for adapting and overcoming, however, there are some things that just make no sense, have no point, or are too easy/OP. Take for example the first method of combos: big hitboxes + no aim adjustment necessary to hit them + huge splash = super power easy spam. Should we just accept something that adds depth, adapt to it and get over it? Or should we try to get it right for long terms sake.

Now, we could keep the invo system in and just adapt and overcome, and tweak it as necessary. However, for the extremely small amount of depth it would add, is it worth the time of the devs to have to try to tweak the invo system, especially when it isn't really meant to be a stand-alone depth adder (mmm death adders :D
images
)? AFAIK the invo system is supposed to be part of a bigger plan for L:O. If you add one part of the plan at a time, and tweak it in such a way, not only are you taking more time, but you may also be making tweaks that will need to be untweaked when more parts of the plan are added.

Calimo

You guys remember map called IceDagger? It was a map where score end up being 1-0 in the end most of the times. It was a map where teams had to send in clearing squad who took out the HoF, and killed all the turrets and harrashed chasers and then a single capper came in and hopely got out alive with the flag. Then he had to take a long route back home before anyone could kill him. There was long standoffs where teams were turtling inside their inventory rooms and in the same time send out hordes of heavy offense trying to get flag back home. You just couldn't go in there and grab the flag alone. It was a bitch to cap on that map, but when you did you knew your team probably won the game.

It seems to me that you picked the worst case scenario. I remember playing tribes maps that were like this... Although I disliked it for competitive game play... I thought they were fun in the pubs. But I've never been a fan of directing in the flow of the competitive players. I'm also a very weird dude.

Post of thoughts / ideas that make sense and I respect.

Combos do make me very sad legions player. You make good points! I can see why the ammo stations invo's were taken away for now. What I can't see is how THAT'S a Death Adder. THIS is a death adder
deathadder_09.jpg
psah, noob.
:rolleyes:

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The spawn points when starting the game are really weird as well, some people get really lucky and spawn right next to the flag when some are miles away. A set distance away from the flag seems more appropriate as even pressing crtl k doesn't put you in a better position.

Aki

With other words, let us stop pleasing the pubstars so much and do whatever the *dance* we want, wich is tribes like gameplay. It is coming boys and girls! Legions going tribes! And if you don't like it then here is the door.

Since you want Tribes gameplay so much, why don't you go play Tribes?? There are only, what, three base games and lord knows how many mods and expansions out there--ONE of them has got to suit your fancy.

Don't get me wrong--I loved Tribes 2. I thought everything about the game was pretty damn cool. I just think it's wrong (not to mention: shows a lack of creativity) for an indie dev team to replicate a successful game with some new tweaks. Perhaps those of you for going tribes-like just don't have enough faith in our devs to produce an awesome final product on the power of their own ideas and creative potential. To you I say, "REPENT and thou shalt be saved."

Disci

Old man
Just making a quick note in here that dev team is full of Tribes veterans. Anyways, if you check out the State of the empire address blog post found here: http://www.legionsoverdrive.com/blog/2011/03/26/state-empire-address/ you can see how much Tribes there is going to be. Most of us don't talk *chocolate cookies* in here as you can see.

Base Assets and Deployables

Soon you’ll be able to bolster your defenses and support your offense by using base assets and deploying your own. These assets and deployables would be destroyable. Base assets must be repaired to function again and deployables must be redeployed when they are destroyed. Here's an early shot of the new inventory station model:

Quoted for the lazy people who refuses to read blog posts.

Aki

Just making a quick note in here that dev team is full of Tribes veterans. Anyways, if you check out the State of the empire address blog post found here: http://www.legionsoverdrive.com/blog/2011/03/26/state-empire-address/ you can see how much Tribes there is going to be. Most of us don't talk *chocolate cookies* in here as you can see.

Quoted for the lazy people who refuses to read blog posts.

Yes, I did read that blog and I do remember what was said. I've said before that I'm all for base assets and all that jazz. What I don't want is for repairing said assets to become 40% of the gameplay as it always was when I played Tribes 2--believe me, there is nothing more annoying than a Heavy spamming the *chocolate cookies* out of your vehicle pads with mortar, or cloakers camping the gen room until everyone leaves so they can blow the gens again, making repairing said assets a full time job. It's "good depth" until it becomes a focal point--then it's just annoying.

Tribes is Tribes and Legions is Legions. As long as Legions doesn't become Tribes, I'll be happy.

BugsPray

Legions Developer
Unofficial question (seriously, I'm just tossing out some ideas): What would you guys think about inventories that do all of the normal type functions (change loadout, give you 'heavier' equipment like turrets and such, etc), but you wouldn't be required to use them to get your loadout. Destroying them, however, removes some sort of 'bonus' from the other team.

Consider the following system:
  • Players will ALWAYS spawn with their selected loadout in any armor.
  • Inventories can be used to refill ammo and change loadouts/armors.
  • Destroyed inventories will reduce the quantity, quality or type of equipment/ammo/whatever on spawn.
For instance, say your team has 2 inventories. If the enemy destroys one of the two inventories, all teammates who spawn while it's down will start with 25% less ammo. Destroying the second will remove the ability to spawn with an OD core or certain weapons or less health or something. Repairing them re-enables these bonuses.

The benefit of this system is that it does not remove from the immediacy of Legions and it still adds depth (read: more tasks than just getting the flag and killing people), and it has a real benefit and impact on the game. Players can still spawn in Sent or Raider and can immediately be effective - just a little bit less so than normal. The ammo reduction increases the amount of time needed to spend visiting ammo stations or respawning, so it is in their team's best interest to keep them up. It's possible that other player-deployed objects can ADD bonuses not normally given by the base assets.

What do you guys think?

Disci

Old man
Yes, I did read that blog and I do remember what was said. I've said before that I'm all for base assets and all that jazz. What I don't want is for repairing said assets to become 40% of the gameplay as it always was when I played Tribes 2--believe me, there is nothing more annoying than a Heavy spamming the *chocolate cookies* out of your vehicle pads with mortar, or cloakers camping the gen room until everyone leaves so they can blow the gens again, making repairing said assets a full time job. It's "good depth" until it becomes a focal point--then it's just annoying.

I'd never like that kind of gameplay either. Just to let you know. Never thought, that making it more like Tribes would include all this *chocolate cookies* to Legions. I've changed my mind, keep Legions as it is. FU Tribes!

Armageddon

Teapot
Since you want Tribes gameplay so much, why don't you go play Tribes?? There are only, what, three base games and lord knows how many mods and expansions out there--ONE of them has got to suit your fancy.

There are 4 Tribes games currently not 3. (T1-Tribes Extreme[Unreleased but was made]-T2-T:V).

I just think it's wrong (not to mention: shows a lack of creativity) for an indie dev team to replicate a successful game with some new tweaks.

Bugs & Company did not write legions, GarageGames aka defunct Dynamix(Tribes) programmers made legions, so the lack of creativity started way before any of us knew about this game. It was mean't to be like tribes if you read the interviews with the developers before instantaction came along and that whole mess started.

Perhaps those of you for going tribes-like just don't have enough faith in our devs to produce an awesome final product on the power of their own ideas and creative potential. To you I say, "REPENT and thou shalt be saved."

...ugh did you read this at all? http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/state-of-the-empire-address.1754/
Everything mentioned in the SotEA is based on tribes.

Resistance is futile.

Redvan

Private Tester
Unofficial question (seriously, I'm just tossing out some ideas): What would you guys think about inventories that do all of the normal type functions (change loadout, give you 'heavier' equipment like turrets and such, etc), but you wouldn't be required to use them to get your loadout. Destroying them, however, removes some sort of 'bonus' from the other team.

Consider the following system:
  • Players will ALWAYS spawn with their selected loadout in any armor.
  • Inventories can be used to refill ammo and change loadouts/armors.
  • Destroyed inventories will reduce the quantity, quality or type of equipment/ammo/whatever on spawn.
For instance, say your team has 2 inventories. If the enemy destroys one of the two inventories, all teammates who spawn while it's down will start with 25% less ammo. Destroying the second will remove the ability to spawn with an OD core or certain weapons or less health or something. Repairing them re-enables these bonuses.

The benefit of this system is that it does not remove from the immediacy of Legions and it still adds depth (read: more tasks than just getting the flag and killing people), and it has a real benefit and impact on the game. Players can still spawn in Sent or Raider and can immediately be effective - just a little bit less so than normal. The ammo reduction increases the amount of time needed to spend visiting ammo stations or respawning, so it is in their team's best interest to keep them up. It's possible that other player-deployed objects can ADD bonuses not normally given by the base assets.

What do you guys think?

I'd be more down with something like this, keeps it less like tribes and more unique. Haven't had time to read all this yet, but I will and comment.

Aki

There are 4 Tribes games currently not 3. (T1-Tribes Extreme[Unreleased but was made]-T2-T:V).

You're really counting one that was unreleased? And if you really must be technical, oughtn't you count the original Starsiege games?

Bugs & Company did not write legions, GarageGames aka defunct Dynamix(Tribes) programmers made legions, so the lack of creativity started way before any of us knew about this game. It was mean't to be like tribes if you read the interviews with the developers before instantaction came along and that whole mess started.

As I recall, the phrasing they used was "spiritual successor" to Tribes, not 'clone' or 'sequel.'

...ugh did you read this at all? http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/state-of-the-empire-address.1754/
Everything mentioned in the SotEA is based on tribes.

Resistance is futile.

Yes, I did. Did you read my post where I said that I read it? Did you also read where I said that I'm all for base assets and the like, I just don't want the gameplay to be plagued by the same issues as Tribes?

All this talk about Tribes made me want to play, so I booted up Tribes Next and have been playing all day. Just as I remembered from before, the entire day was plagued by mortar spam into invos, camping the gen rooms, and spamming spawn areas. I spent so much time trying to find a repair pack so I could fix the invos so I could get my loadout that I never even got into any real action. This is the kind of "depth" we're headed for if we clone Tribes. We can add gen camping and invo spam to llama grabbing and u-sniping. Yay.

BugsPray's idea is a lot better, if you ask me. The invos are helpful and worth protecting, but not imperative for the team's functioning. I think this system would make them more like a target of opportunity than a goal of themselves, which should reduce spam quite a bit.

Base turrets and the like are the same deal, even in Tribes: they're helpful, but won't impair the team's functioning if they go down. Then we don't end up spending half of our time repairing *chocolate cookies* that the game is just fine without.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
All this talk about Tribes made me want to play, so I booted up Tribes Next and have been playing all day. Just as I remembered from before, the entire day was plagued by mortar spam into invos, camping the gen rooms, and spamming spawn areas. I spent so much time trying to find a repair pack so I could fix the invos so I could get my loadout that I never even got into any real action. This is the kind of "depth" we're headed for if we clone Tribes. We can add gen camping and invo spam to llama grabbing and u-sniping. Yay.

le sigh.

My god man, they want to go away from this. That's why their thinking up of alternative options to add depth, but not alter the flow of the game.

Why is there so much hate for the developers right now?

blu

Aki,

Go watch some old 5150 and vanguard demos and watch people who actually know how to play the game. There is a link to tons of demos in the tribes universe fourms. After you watch those you will see what everyone is talking about. Because i dont think you can get a fair view of the game by having little to no experience and just running around not really knowing what your doing.

Redvan

Private Tester
Aki,

Go watch some old 5150 and vanguard demos and watch people who actually know how to play the game. There is a link to tons of demos in the tribes universe fourms. After you watch those you will see what everyone is talking about. Because i dont think you can get a fair view of the game by having little to no experience and just running around not really knowing what your doing.
been there seen that just as boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.