Laser Rifle

Annihilate

...a one-hit kill weapon with unlimited ammo is just ridiculous.
Don't know who informed you about the old LR but i can assure you it wasn't a 1 hit kill weapon and the further they were away from you the less damage they would take so it was rather impossible to 1 hit with the old LR.
Watch Jossi's vid:

Even at close range they go from healthy to damaged.

Shisk

Check 8:55 when the guy gets the flag and than comes out, he got a green health status and is death afterwards

The only chance to survive was moving horizontally to the laser

Annihilate

Check 8:55 when the guy gets the flag and than comes out, he got a green health status and is death afterwards

The only chance to survive was moving horizontally to the laser
Pretty sure he was already damaged from flying into that wall but it does look like a 1 hit kill.
Is it an outrider? I can't make it out clearly.

Palton

What if we brought back the old sniper and change it, rename it, into some kind of mid-range weapon?
cancel the unlimited ammo, cancel the long range,
unable to shoot as far as the current sniper rifle but inflicts more damage, keep the loading time and style,
make it like another close range weapon, as another choice besides the RL and GL?

Disci

Old man
Good news everyone. WE doesn't exists. So anyone who express their own opinion as 'WE' is full of *chocolate cookies* and have no *dancing* idea what public opinion is about the matter. Let me clarify that majority doesn't post on these forums so something based on that is not water proof.

skypredator

Disci, *we* don't appreciate that comment. The old LR was OP. Simple as that. If Dancing_Kirby, Lanthus, Kryst, Epic, Luso, Light, Seamless, pcp, and I can snipe with it, then you can too. And these are just SOME of the snipers on the American side of Legions. Annihilate, the old LR WAS a one-hit-kill if the target was completely stationary, besides the fact that distance did not matter when using the old LR. What really mattered was how long the target was in the beam.

We've had this discussion so many times, we aren't bringing back the old laser rifle.

You're missing what he said. Of course the old sniper rifle would never be brought back in it's old form. But what about a mixture of the new and old one? One that has all the characteristics of the new sniper rifle, but with a charge up time and a visible beam showing where the sniper is aiming.

skypredator

You're missing what he said. Of course the old sniper rifle would never be brought back in it's old form. But what about a mixture of the new and old one? One that has all the characteristics of the new sniper rifle, but with a charge up time and a visible beam showing where the sniper is aiming.

I like the idea of the visible beam, fire. What I don't get is why there would be a charge-up time, when the new LR doesn't have to charge up. I propose a LR that, when you right-slick, shows the beam. Left-click would fire the beam. On the other hand, that's what rets are for. Unless you mean a charge-up LR that will charge up without stopping jets, but it drains the thruster energy when fired? Personally, I like that idea.

I like the idea of the visible beam, fire. What I don't get is why there would be a charge-up time, when the new LR doesn't have to charge up. I propose a LR that, when you right-slick, shows the beam. Left-click would fire the beam. On the other hand, that's what rets are for. Unless you mean a charge-up LR that will charge up without stopping jets, but it drains the thruster energy when fired? Personally, I like that idea.

Adding the beam would nerf the rifle. People would be able to see and respond to a sniper aiming at them easier than they can now. The charge-up time is also a suggestion to nerf the rifle. Sniping is too easy and OP in this game.

Palton

black hand said:

We've had this discussion so many times, we aren't bringing back the old laser rifle.

Well, actually instead of replacing the current laser rifle, I thought of making it a whole new(but actually old) class?
Maybe instead of renaming it Sniper Rifle, name it "Plasma Rifle" or something....

:p not really familiar with the quoting thingy.....

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
turn the zoom down to around rocket Launcher zoom range and decrease reload speed and you got yourself a freaking railgun.. did this before and was fun:p

skypredator

Adding the beam would nerf the rifle. People would be able to see and respond to a sniper aiming at them easier than they can now. The charge-up time is also a suggestion to nerf the rifle. Sniping is too easy and OP in this game.

I was tempted to include an idea I had about the beam's visibility being limited to only the player, and no one else, but I thought it redundant. I should've mentioned that, though. Sniping is highly deadly if you know how to, and if you want to. I think the LR is just fine because only a handful of people snipe as a position not a hobby. I wouldn't mind a new design, though, and maybe some different animations. This is just one players' opinion, so maybe we should open a poll for players only. Devs hold a lot of sway in what does and doesn't happen, so I think that if we got the raw opinion of the players we would get a different outcome, rather than running with an "opinion" based upon the majority of Devs. Just an idea, and I'm not too sure that they would like this since the Devs have a certain way of doing things. I'll message one of them tomorrow, or hopefully they'll see this post.

Mr. Fwuffles

As it is now, there's little encouragement to snipe. There's no improved zoom, the damage output per shot is ~1 rocket (no instant kill with one shot), the hit line is very narrow, and the hit window is far shorter than the amount of time the sprite lasts, and there's no more damaging cloud should the beam hit a wall. Increasing the damage would certainly be nice (as there are no more clouds). Bringing back the old sniping zoom would certainly make me happy with or without any other changes. If there aren't going to be any damage increases, then perhaps bring back the damage cloud.

skypredator

As it is now, there's little encouragement to snipe. There's no improved zoom, the damage output per shot is ~1 rocket (no instant kill with one shot), the hit line is very narrow, and the hit window is far shorter than the amount of time the sprite lasts, and there's no more damaging cloud should the beam hit a wall. Increasing the damage would certainly be nice (as there are no more clouds). Bringing back the old sniping zoom would certainly make me happy with or without any other changes. If there aren't going to be any damage increases, then perhaps bring back the damage cloud.

If I can kill with it efficiently, you can too. I do agree with you on the Damage Cloud though.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
If I can kill with it efficiently, you can too.

Hehe, Effectively? Anyhow back on topic, I'd still love to see some form of damage cloud back, it'll give people sniping at high pings a larger chance of hitting things, and perhaps allow chase sniping to be used more. On the other hand, it will also allow good snipers to get even more hits, and perhaps make the sniper rifle even more overpowered. Still, if the damage cloud wasn't that much more (i.e. a good balance) I could see a use of it.

Also, we must not forget that the developers have over weapons in the pipeline meaning that this gap could be filled by a new weapon.