Laser Rifle

Lin

[...]It is. It's hitscan, there is no "projectile travel time".
Doesn't it take some time for the information to get sent to the server or whatnot? At least thats what i got from the netfix post
rolleyes.png

Gheist

King of all Goblins
He spoke of a "small gap in far range shots", implying that "short range shots" would behave differently. And that's not the case. The LR is a hitscan weapon. Network latency will of course affect it. But there's no difference between "short range shots" or "far range shots", as there's not travel time.

bethal

yeah they both work the same but the longer shots that tiny bit of lag/latency thing needs to be thought of more apart from the closer shots where it's not much point seen as both your aiming at a relevantly bigger target and your closer (same thing but I thought I would point it out really)

and It feels like there is a "sweet distance" you want to be at. the really short range seem to do less damage, or I could just be blind to the regaining, but there is defiantly over a range your do less damage so I thought it worked both ways... made sence to me :/

Shade

Private Tester
The sniper's damage is based on range and how much energy you have. If you're jumping around when you're fighting, you'll deal less damage.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Bethal, the 'sweet distance' is for convenience sake. For me, I find that the best distance is where, once zoomed, you scroll up one click, If the legionnaires still is a decent size and easily visible, its a good range. I've made shots closer, and further away. As far as flag retrieval goes, the sniper is most effective in the opening of the capping run if the sniper is at base. You tag incoming cappers as they come in so they will either be taken care of by the rest of the defense, or they will OD on instinct and die in the process (Especially outriders.) If they aren't dead, then you get them while they're on their exit route. They're trying to be fast, not to be hard to hit, so its fairly easy to just line up another shot at the apex of one of their 'leaps'.

Disci

Old man
They're trying to be fast, not to be hard to hit, so its fairly easy to just line up another shot at the apex of one of their 'leaps'.

I don't know about other cappers but I try to be hard to hit capper if I know there's a good sniper on D. Being fast and able to dodge at the same time is a good skill for a capper and I love when there's a sniper on other team. Challenge!

Astrum

Super Special R&D
The LR is the most ridiculous weapons in Legions as far as balancing is concerned. Think about how many restrictions it has in place compared to other weapons. It uses ammo, it uses energy, and it has a damage drop-off. To be honest I don't even think the LR fits in Legions. That's just my opinion though, good luck arguing over whether its balanced or not.

Lin

That post was a bit rude up there, but the points are there. admittedly i don't snipe much, but i feel like the old LR was alot better than the current model.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
That post wasn't rude, but a joke between people that know each other pretty well (and at expense of those who take it seriously).

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
I have to admit, the thing that I loved about the old LR The most was the fact that is was unlike most sniper rifles.

You had to charge it and it had the small laser that told you where you were aiming, as well as occasionally giving the capper a hint.
(and the after-effect of the LR was nice.) what was the reason for not just bumping down the damage and keeping these unique attributes?

But yes, it was a bit overpowered. Well, very overpowered

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
The thing that annoys me the most about the sniper rifle, is that after playing Quake Live with the railgun, you'd be pretty good at sniper? Not happening with me, there's just something about the aim that I can't get around. Its probably just having to move the mouse forward a bit to counter for the speed of the legionnaire, but I've always felt that the sniper rifle is a bit sluggish.

Propkid

The LR is good as it is for CTF. If this argument goes on ill make a sniper montage/ will start snipebitchin in PUGs ;D

Annihilate

I'v been using the sniper for the past few days now and it's extremely easy to snipe chase.
My advice would to be jet up a hill as you normaly would when skiing then wait for you're energy to regain a little and make the shot when you're coming down a hill. You'll lose pretty much no speed and do some nice damage if you hit.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
What I've done with snipe chasing (when I do it, I usually stay in-base) is to catch up with the capper, and slowly chiselling down his health with the CG (I play sniper class instead of hornet or Rooster) and once the capper's health is low enough to be taken out with one LR shot, I stop, take a deep breath and zap him. There are two big downsides to this method, mainly, you lose all momentum, so if you miss with that one shot, you don't get a good chance at another, and secondly, it helps to have other chasers, partly for if you miss, and partly so that there's somebody to continue on and return the flag faster than the stationary sniper would be able to do.

Also, 7Fissurez, the old sniper rifle was a lot like the Spartan Laser from Halo, with a charge up followed by an instant kill. I don't know which came first, so I'm just going to point out that there's a gun in a VERY popular FPS with an incredibly similar mechanic. The largest difference between the Spartan Laser and the old LR is that the old LR had no ammunition restrictions. I know its harder to land a shot with the old LR than it is with the spartan laser, but would you like to be playing a more standard fps where there's some camping person with the old LR? Slower targets with a one-hit kill weapon with unlimited ammo is just ridiculous.