Ignorance - The downfall of Legions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I thank you for inofmring me of this occurrence Fireblasto, as I don't think I was present at that time. Freeman will get a nice scolding later.
I also agree that this is a nice thread for some individuals of the community to voice their opinion when they could not before. If anyone has any other issues or complaints, please let us know.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I thank you for inofmring me of this occurrence Fireblasto, as I don't think I was present at that time. Freeman will get a nice scolding later.
I also agree that this is a nice thread for some individuals of the community to voice their opinion when they could not before. If anyone has any other issues or complaints, please let us know.

Thanks for the mature reply Ucan, this is what the thread is all about, to get people's opinions and make pickups a much more worthwhile and fun place to be.

Fixious

Test Lead
Waiting 20 minutes for a pug, and finally starting to pick players only to have someone come in at the last minute and get picked is pretty lame. Especially if it's down to the last 3(as I usually am), forcing someone who waited that entire time out of the game.

okayguy.jpg

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Waiting 20 minutes for a pug, and finally starting to pick players only to have someone come in at the last minute and get picked is pretty lame. Especially if it's down to the last 3(as I usually am), forcing someone who waited that entire time out of the game.

okayguy.jpg

Agreed, I'm going to suggested to other Euro captains, that before picking, the two mutually agree on the player size of the game (7v7, 8v8, 9v9 etc) and Don't pick players who come in late.

Delpicy

Just make a block saying that you can't play the same map until 4 other maps have been played. Problem solved

Redvan

Private Tester

okayguy.jpg
Sorry couldn't help but notice your sig line after reading this... ;)

But srsly, it's pretty lame if people can just walk in last min and get picked over people that have been waiting for a PUG... When a captain does that it just shows they care more about picking the "good" players to win (selfish), or care about playing with their friends (also selfish), rather than caring about the community as a whole.

While there's nothing wrong with wanting the good players to win, or wanting to play with your friends, it'll yield better long term results when people care about the community. After all, who is going to remember who won that PUG in a week... nobody cares about PUGs. And if your friend really wants to play, I'm sure they're entirely capable of waiting their turn.

Freeman

RAYTANG
Freeman on the other hand, was captaining a game. He picked me last (Fair enough as I am a Euro) and we played some Frostbyte (hmmm). He asked me to drop the flag as he was behind me and I was low. I couldn't see the guy, and I decided not to drop it as I felt I could make it home and because midfield drops can go awfully wrong. I passed the flag back home and unfortunately the enemy team got the return. Yes, my fault entirely, but what I was not prepared for was Freeman's rebuke. Needless to say it involved some swearing and such directed entirely at me. I thought, "What a bastard" as I was not prepared for the aggression of his attack. I later disconnected from the game halfway due to my Dad getting a little cross and pulling out the power lead for the router :( However, I already in my opinion have grounds to ragequit.

I didn't captain that game, I don't even remember the last time I captained tbh .

I remember how the conversation went down actually:

Me (after repeatedly asking you to drop the flag) : Why didn't you drop the flag? (could have used some swear words in there, don't remember)

Fireblasto: We Euro's don't do that sort of thing in our pickups. ( :| )

Me: Well we're not in a *dancing* euro pickup now are we?

Yeah I was annoyed, you weren't listening to your team mates. Sorry to hurt your virgin ears with my profanity.

Redvan

Private Tester
Me: Well we're not in a *dancing* euro pickup now are we?

lol

but srsly, what does being a euro or not have anything to do with it at all? Team game = Work as a team, if someone (especially a captain) says something, at least consider it, or at least consider the possibility that they're probably giving the suggestion for a good reason.

Being a euro is hardly an excuse as to why not do something lol

Also, good god freeman chillax. Its a game. Someone does something you don't want them to do, say "fukit oh well" and move on. I do admit I get some good lols out of how srsly people take this stuff...

After all, all a PUG is is a PUB in a private server... There are no better players in PUGs than what you'll find in a PUB. Expect the games to go as such.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Instead of making this a tl;dr, I'm going to try and keep my points concise, and focus on one reply at a time.

Yeah, I knew that these kind of comments where going to come up from my post, I'm sticking by what I am saying though. Please note that I only used them as examples, and I don't hate the guys.

I also put in my post that I'm not perfect either, I'm not the best captain, but I seek to improve. This is usually done by seeing where people make mistakes and me being on the receiving end, and then thinking "Do I do that? Oh god I do :/" Then trying to make sure I don't do that in future games. I think most people are guilty of the things that happen in pickup games in this thread, most just don't see it, but I'm going to try now and keep it down to a minimum from my end.

Its just specific play styles, I just don't like dropping it. Its completely my fault I agree, but I just really wasn't prepared for the aggressiveness of the attack, and that's the point I was making. As it really isn't the kind of attitude we as pickup players want to convey, and put people off from playing them. As for the point about captaining, mah mistake.

Yeah, as I said above, my bad. It was just no reason why he should of done that, and was overcompetitive. The point I'm making is that if pickups want to attract newer players to keep them going, this kind of behaviour, mine, freeman's, and everyone else's needs to change.

I know I don't act the greatest either, but as mentioned above, I'm trying to improve. Is that not worth something in this day and age of everyone fighting? I've already mentioned that I wrote down that I don't hate rock, I'm just using him as an example. I specifically mention that I'm only using him as an example to stop this kind of comment. I've done what he did before in an Asian pickup, and I've tried never to do that again.

I admit that I've tried to take charge of a pickup before, and have probably said something like that once or twice. However, as with so many other things, I'm trying to get more experience doing it. When Application isn't around, or anyone isn't around who can start the server, and normally take charge. I usually ask GReaper for it, and try and get the pickup started, albeit perhaps not in the way people would of preferred. You know as well as I do how hard it is to get captains, and that 'volunteer' was probably me.

As for treating the forum as a hate diary? What the hell? I made one post where I specifically said I didn't hate the guys, I was only using them as examples. I might find them unlikeable characters, but that doesn't matter when playing pickup games and I want to focus on the issues that we as players must focus on sorting out to make pickup play better.

Evidently I don't know them that well as people either, and from what I've mostly seen, I'm going to be trying to keep off the American servers. As noted, I did have to leave due to unforeseen circumstances, but I wasn't on the point of ragequitting, though I felt that I could of done. I wasn't even raging because I couldn't do a simple thing, in fact it was Freeman's rebuke that did that. I tried to keep calm throughout it though, and even registered my shock with the rest of the team after his comment.

Dacil

I don't play in PUG's at all. Main reason is, the captains are incredibly bias in the players they pick and the positions they assign to people. They normally pick all the "good" players first then IF there are any spots left they pick the "bad" or "new" people. They put all the "bad" or "new" players on LO, then rage at them if they can't do their job because they are less skilled.

While I like you Ucan, and several others (Notably Sharp and the other Fire) I feel that some people within the American side of the community are really pushy when it comes to competitiveness. I feel that as a person, this people actually make me feel worse and in fact want me not to play. I rarely see the point in staying up overnight for American pickups unless its with other Euro's.

Sorry Gheist, but I am going to name and shame here, as I feel that both Freeman556 and Rock have actually been over competitive and actually make the pickups a worse place. Rock for example, came and played a Euro pickup game on Fallout the other day - a 12v12 that I captained on Fallout. Needless to say, it was not my best performance as captain (As I am inexperienced when it comes to larger games and would prefer not to captain them), and we lost the game 10-1. However, Rock makes a notably memory as throughout the game he was whining about people's playing skills and what I call 'the details' of the game. All the way through the game he was making comments to people, and I believe "Made the team lose even worse" as he depressed the team and in fact disrupted team talk. After the awful game, he starts talking bullshit and saying that I can't captain at all. Evidently I couldn't because he was whining in my ear the entire game and a 12v12 really shouldn't imo of been played.

My clan member also told me that he was talking behind my back when I picked him to the rest of my team before the game even started, and when I later talked to him the next day, I raised the points to him, and he was a rude and particularly arrogant to me, and had an attitude of "Not giving a *chocolate cookies*"

Freeman on the other hand, was captaining a game. He picked me last (Fair enough as I am a Euro) and we played some Frostbyte (hmmm). He asked me to drop the flag as he was behind me and I was low. I couldn't see the guy, and I decided not to drop it as I felt I could make it home and because midfield drops can go awfully wrong. I passed the flag back home and unfortunately the enemy team got the return. Yes, my fault entirely, but what I was not prepared for was Freeman's rebuke. Needless to say it involved some swearing and such directed entirely at me. I thought, "What a bastard" as I was not prepared for the aggression of his attack. I later disconnected from the game halfway due to my Dad getting a little cross and pulling out the power lead for the router :( However, I already in my opinion have grounds to ragequit.

I name and shame here, just to use examples, and seeing as not many people have the guts to do so. I'm also not hating on the guys either, I'm just using them as examples. I hope I can play some decent games with you guys, but for the reasons mentioned above, I kinda don't want to. True, I wasn't always right, but there's no need to get angry over it.
In reply to your comment about people not complaining Ucan, the minority rarely gets a voice, but it does now within this thread.

<3 - Always try and include people, it break mah heart when we have to leave a guy out, as I know what it feels like from playing some American games. If you want to start playing some euro's come on down at 2 PM EST, on a Saturday. That's when we start pugging.

and people wonder why i dont want to pug anymore.....HAHA...hahah...haha...ha....ehem

Edit:
Thanks for the mature reply Ucan, this is what the thread is all about, to get people's opinions and make pickups a much more worthwhile and fun place to be.

i've started to think they never will be....at least until the player amount increases and it's less "tight-knit"

edit2: when one of the last pugs i played was a euro, i remember how astonished i was by how comfortable i felt playing with them and how much fun i had

w00tyou

EU pug: We played a man down so that we could get everyone to play, and every person who joined ts got to play as we picked teams so that some 7v7 turned onto 8v8, 10v10, 9v8.

Now Lets focus on how to solve these problems.

1. More maps played in pugs, we(US players) need to play all the maps (the good ones) the more we play them the more familiar we become with them.Why not?
  2. Lets never be aggressive in our word choices, positive encouragement is better than putting a teammate down.Why do you need to be so rude?
  3. Keep on playing PUGS. Make them attract people to legions and to the community.
Why aren't there rules to pugs? Well we never needed them, but now it has come to we might have to stoop to that level. But yet again it might be a good idea for Newcomers.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
i've started to think they never will be....at least until the player amount increases and it's less "tight-knit"

I dunno, I think some Americans are great, like Ucan, the other Fire, Sharp, Envy etc Are actually all right. I think the small minority may actually be causing these problems for the Americans.

Sin

Private Tester
How bout focusing on getting better before that <3
Games aren't always about skill rock. Sometimes people are just looking to have fun, not win at all costs and practice until their eyes fall onto their keyboard. You can take it as something you must be insane at, I think a lot of us just play for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.