Combos are breaking the game.

Redvan

Private Tester
I very much dislike the idea of putting it into the flag hand. Then there's essentially no nade jumping.

calculate the amount of time on average the flag is held per player per match, and then tell me there's "essentially no nade jumping". It's a very small portion of time that you'd be eliminating nade jumping from.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
what annoys me is that nade combos are easier to do than MA and are often more effective, hitting me more often killing me faster than anyone who tries to actually aim with a rocket rather than just in my general direction with nade combos.
>.> call me noob.

oh and i can't resist -

Double nade jump, all the way across the sky!!!!

Hannibal

To me the whole idea of hand grenades seems a little like bringing hot-swapping back. Holding on to your flag is ridiculously impossible when you have 4-5 hand grenades floating in every direction possible. It is, simply put: splash damage in the air; so what of energy management when you are constantly bombarded with grenades or frag combos (which deserves a LOL at how easy and overly powerful they are) pushing you down?..

My only suggestion would be to randomize the angle at which the grenade is tossed with a smaller hitbox and rate of fire, as described. This way there is depth to the weapon and not something that can be constantly spammed.
If by any chance you decide to keep things the way they are, reduce the damage. Air control is just as powerful as mid airs.

Nash

Impact and splashdamage increase based on distance traveled maybe?
You can still nadejump this way.

Nash

Figures the top 10%of players will scream bloody murder when their edge is taken away ;)
I don't think that's the case at all.
Throw a grenade behind you and hit it with a rocket. Everyone can learn it.

For me personally, this adds quite a bit more depth to the game right now.
Ofcourse it can and should be tweaked, but not the point of uselessness.

fatboy

The top 10% of players is working on this problem privately, and probably has been since the public release of hand grenades.
The top 10% of players has already worked through numerious other problems leading to imbalance in legions.
(see : GLS, RLS, early sentinal, LR, movement physics, etc.)
The top end of the community is not what I'm worried about, its the very out spoken majority of people who will lean on a crutch until it is taken from them.

OmniNept

Actionaut
fatboy said:
The top 10% of players is working on this problem privately, and probably has been since the public release of hand grenades.
Not true; most Omniscient members have been on hiatus.

Bahaha.

Seriously, though.

In any case, the private testers, many (most?) of whom are most certainly not within the top 10%, aren't exempt from crutching around on broken mechanics.

(SEE: HOTSWAPPING, etc.)

As you're aware, fatboy, there's often a fair amount of contention within pt groups: many find the hand grenades fine, I'm sure, and many find them overpowered. Whether the devs deign to modify them depends more on their perception and less on that of their pt's. That this issue was brought to the public forums (by a pt - and by someone who by this time is probably within the top 10% of players) is evidence against your assumptions.

On this grenade issue, I agree with you; an unwavering faith in this team's shaky development processes, though, is as damaging as assuming the pt's are in this for themselves. You'll notice that most of this thread's posters have sided with our opinion - that the hand grenade combos should be modified, at the very least. You've nothing to fear from the "vocal majority". And even if their opinions sided against yours, all you'd need do is argue your position eloquently. Everyone's aware that one person posting a top-ten-percent generalization is full of it, and you do yourself no favours by responding in kind.

I'd like to point out that Ragol, easily amongst the upper echelon of chasers - easily top chaser, imo - has agreed with the mentioned modifications. He's also not a pt, and his opinion wouldn't've been heard were it not for this thread.

Assuming a 10% group captures all opinions and insights relevant to development is retarded. That's the reason there are public forums; and that's the reason the devs should pay them mind.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
No, the top 10% of players won't say anything because they aren't solely dependent on hand grenades for chasing/capping.

You're actually kind of right on this, I personally haven't mentioned it as I find myself not part of the 10%, though someone out there probably will (If I'm lucky) .

One area where the nades are used to unbalance the game is mostly from the Hornet loadout where a weakness of the class is (or was) the ability to get chained out of the sky. On the old IA forums I even raised the point about how weak the class really was to it. Now however, it is not because of three reasons:

• Decreasing amount of players using the chaingun to do their objectives, due to:
  • The change the amount of damage a single bullet does (8 to 5 dmg points) and removal of CGII
These two changes are enough to make it much less vulnerable to the chaingun (and actually making the class more balanced with the game) , especially seeing as the loadout does not have a chaingun itself. But the changes actually made the chaingun pretty much balanced.

However, the addition of nade combos has given the class a whole new weapon gives the player a whole new way to do their objectives, and in my opinion, in the right hands, renders the chaingun useless against it (as you have t get up close with the chaingun to score more hits, but in turn making it easier for the enemy to point-blank nade combo you. They can still be dodged of course, but is hard with that amount of splash in the air, and even with the dodging, you are bound to suffer some damage.

I personally when I play the class do not use nade combos (Favouring the traditional midair, as for some reason I cannot hit those bloody nades in midair, at all) , but a good example of a player who does is on your team, and he manages to score top points in scrims shockingly. I myself used the class on Saturday, and scored the highest points on my team with it. (although the scrim was slightly unbalanced due to players being disconnected due to internet issues) Combined with the sniper OP, this class in the right hands is deadly, and most importantly in my opinion, overpowered.

Off topic: Nept has again proven why he is a genius.

Edit:

My only suggestion would be to randomize the angle at which the grenade is tossed with a smaller hitbox

+1 to this idea, though it would have to be just rightamount. Perhaps like the chaingun, gets more random where it actually explodes as the further you throw it.

Redvan

Private Tester
5. Decrease hitbox for the nade to make close combos harder. Possibility, but, I'd much prefer #4 since decreasing the hitbox would affect longer range combos.

Just another quick example of how Redvan called it...

I should be hired to forecast these issues.

fatboy

Nept, true about the contention within private testing groups, but with our smaller community before, there was usually a consensus on these matters within the top tier players. There certainly were some very out spoken people, who were dead wrong, regarding all the stepping stones we have overcome to get Legions to this point, but the community, and player base has changed a lot. I am honestly not part of this community enough anymore for such allegations, but back to the hand grenades now, this one just seems obvious.

MJ1284

Meh, frag grenade combos will just become yet another "it's not bannable offense but will get you flamed by other players".

MJ1284

So again are there gonna be any changes on the hand nades or not?

funny-pictures-cat-teaches-dog-patience.jpg