Big Fat Weapon Update on Public Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
I hate these kind of comments. Every aspect of the game is moddable. Don't like the colour of it? Learn to change it yourself or request for someone else to create it for you.
Get out. This is a feedback thread for the changes that are being tested. The new bright blue color is one of these changes. There are several people who talked about the handgrenades and their looks. And even though you can make them look however you want on your side, this is a thread that exists to help the developers to decide on a solution that works for a lot of people (if not most of them). There's not enough feedback anyways, and you will stop telling people to shut up. Especially if they're doing exactly what they're meant to do.

Keep the feedback coming guys, even if you think it's not really important, or if what you wanted to say has already been mentioned before. Now is your time to do something for Leejunz.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
i like to see "what we could do better" then oh i hate this and that.. what would you like to see?

please note that legions has a built in particle generator that has some limitations.. There was some updates but that goes with newer torque versions. Legions is just old and outdated.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, what Gheist said, we're looking for feedback here and 'do it yourself'-style comments aren't really appropriate.

Aki

MA's are not luck. If they were I don't think so many of use would hit 20+ or even 40+ MA's per match. If you can't hit as many constantly you should stfu. You're not even near the skill level some people in here are. There might be troubles with GL but bounce isn't one of them and you should read DeadGuy's post carefully to truly understand why the changes were made. I guess you skimmed through it as so many usually does.

Smells like elitist in here. *achoo* Dammit, now I'm getting a rash >_<

On topic: Like others, I would love to see MA counters for the SB. Maybe in the future, when everyone has mastered it, it will be silly to count them, but right now we're all trying to learn a new weapon and counting MAs is a decent gauge of our performance--especially for a weapon the requires us to rely exclusively on MAs for survival. I also hope to see the GL reverted. The new bounce just makes it useless. GL was my preferred weapon for LO because it does more damage than RL and works a little better for bouncing the HoF off the stand. Now it's damn near impossible to do any of those.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
On topic: Like others, I would love to see MA counters for the SB. Maybe in the future, when everyone has mastered it, it will be silly to count them, but right now we're all trying to learn a new weapon and counting MAs is a decent gauge of our performance--especially for a weapon the requires us to rely exclusively on MAs for survival. I also hope to see the GL reverted. The new bounce just makes it useless. GL was my preferred weapon for LO because it does more damage than RL and works a little better for bouncing the HoF off the stand. Now it's damn near impossible to do any of those.

Yar, I'm going to assume that MA counters will be included for the new weapons, I'll try to wraggle a confirmation from DeadGuy regarding this.

Reactions: Aki

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] Now it's damn near impossible to do any of those.
Sorry, but if you actually use it like a GL, and not like a secondary RL, that's very possible indeed. I hate to bring it up, but have a look at the GL in T1. Definitely useful, definitely different from the DL. I'm by no means implying that this is the reasoning behind the change, nor that everything that Tribes does is better than its counterpart in Leejunz - but now you have 2 distinct weapons. Not a RL and a RL with a slightly differently behaving projectile.

Lin

Sorry, but if you actually use it like a GL, and not like a secondary RL, that's very possible indeed. I hate to bring it up, but have a look at the GL in T1. Definitely useful, definitely different from the DL. I'm by no means implying that this is the reasoning behind the change, nor that everything that Tribes does is better than its counterpart in Leejunz - but now you have 2 distinct weapons. Not a RL and a RL with a slightly differently behaving projectile.
I'm pretty sure what hes trying to touch on isn't that the gl no longer functions like the rl, but that its also less effective at it's own role. Less damage(or not), steeper arc, longer minimum range. I'm not trying to imply that the gl is now totally useless and broken, but I am saying that I can't see how or it what way it improves upon the original. I would really love anyone to explain.

phanakapan

Private Tester
I think it should definitely do more damage than a rocket, probably close to 10% more I would think considering it is less easy to use in many situations. I think the steeper arc and bounciness is a good change, as the strength of the weapon has always and should always be its ability to counter the hills and base obstacles people use for cover. Where the rocket is limited to straight paths, the grenades can go around certain obstacles. I also think the reload timer should be shortened to allow for a bit more blanketing of splash damage either while clearing a stand, or predicting a capper's route while chasing. Being able to lay down a wider area of damage in terrain that is troublesome for the RL is what it should excel at.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
One thing I'd like to find out - what are the exact projectile speeds of the new weapons? The rocket is somewhere in the low 200's (if I'm not mistaken). What are the speeds for the SB, BR, Plasma, and Mortar?

Lin

I think it should definitely do more damage than a rocket, probably close to 10% more I would think considering it is less easy to use in many situations. I think the steeper arc and bounciness is a good change, as the strength of the weapon has always and should always be its ability to counter the hills and base obstacles people use for cover. Where the rocket is limited to straight paths, the grenades can go around certain obstacles. I also think the reload timer should be shortened to allow for a bit more blanketing of splash damage either while clearing a stand, or predicting a capper's route while chasing. Being able to lay down a wider area of damage in terrain that is troublesome for the RL is what it should excel at.
I like it, but one thing. If its gonna be fast, it needs more ammo

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] Less damage [...]
Please please please go back to the blog post and read it again thoroughly. Lots of people are talking about things that they "think they've heard somewhere". It really doesn't help, at all.

phanakapan

Private Tester
i would be fine with the current amount of ammo. with these changes would come more spammability, so keeping that balanced would still need consideration. laying down 3 or 4 nades on a cappers exit route wouldn't diminish the current ammo and doing it for multiple chases with pot shots in between would be the average use i would think.

Lin

Please please please go back to the blog post and read it again thoroughly. Lots of people are talking about things that they "think they've heard somewhere". It really doesn't help, at all.
I've always seen ORs go down to 20% on a hit, but havent been seeing that. I guess I was mistaken. Sorry there.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Smells like elitist in here. *achoo* Dammit, now I'm getting a rash >_<

Bolt is getting the MA counter back. As to the GL changes, the cluster does much more impulse than the old and the new GL and was kept at the same range to fill that role. Do you think the cluster isn't powerful enough?

I worry at the ability to chain grenades out close range though. The MA ability would have to be removed at close range, but I fear it could still easily be used close range to spam the hell out of everything. I still see people learning how they can use it close range too with bounce attacks. I can see maybe a small increase in RoF, but not 3xs a second like you asked for. :p

I don't think it's fair to those who want to use grandes to chase as outrider. When the Big Fat Weapon Update happened, I was so happy to see that the Singer came with boost grenades, so I could actually chase. Then, Mabel deleted that class and added in a new one called "Wasp" with Bolt/LR right in the middle of a match. That got me mad. Very mad. Oh well, sorry for the rant.
And sorry for changing the subject a bit. xD

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I don't think it's fair to those who want to use grandes to chase as outrider. When the Big Fat Weapon Update happened, I was so happy to see that the Singer came with boost grenades, so I could actually chase. Then, Mabel deleted that class and added in a new one called "Wasp" with Bolt/LR right in the middle of a match. That got me mad. Very mad. Oh well, sorry for the rant.

Wasp kinda fails, don't really see the use for it. Wouldn't mind seeing a plasma/LR combo though, that could be interesting.

The plasma doesn't work that well as it is atm, it needs a damage boost. It does practically the same damage as chain and its much harder to hit anything with it because it is a slower projectile. The splash/knockback effect doesn't really do much, though I'm liking the idea of plasma being used for capping. In quake, the strongest weapon in the game is plasma, but it is the hardest to master. Damage boost would be nice, but at the moment, there's just no reason to use the weapon - and this goes for pretty much all the new weapons in the update.

Lin

Wasp kinda fails, don't really see the use for it. Wouldn't mind seeing a plasma/LR combo though, that could be interesting.

The plasma doesn't work that well as it is atm, it needs a damage boost. It does practically the same damage as chain and its much harder to hit anything with it because it is a slower projectile. The splash/knockback effect doesn't really do much, though I'm liking the idea of plasma being used for capping. In quake, the strongest weapon in the game is plasma, but it is the hardest to master. Damage boost would be nice, but at the moment, there's just no reason to use the weapon - and this goes for pretty much all the new weapons in the update.
au contraire: I see alot of people rolling plasma and blaster, luring defenders indoors or into a tight corner, and just raping away. None of the current weapons can really stand up to those two in a close quarters environ

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
au contraire: I see alot of people rolling plasma and blaster, luring defenders indoors or into a tight corner, and just raping away. None of the current weapons can really stand up to those two in a close quarters environ

Why use those weapons when the majority (And only rare bits of it are played inside) of legions is played outdoors though? ;) The rocket covers any kind of inside fighting already.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
That wasn't Mabel, I accidentally removed it when I added Wasp with the bug fixes update. I'll add it back in when we do the next roll out of tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.