Australian Servers

Ok, so www.hypernia.com sells server space by the slot, if we have say 2 x 16 player games able to happen at once that should be enuf for now! At 1 to 2 bucks a slot this will cost us well under $100 a month which I think is outstandingly cheap, they need some info about the game and will charge us based on the amount of resources the game requires before they can give us exact pricing.

At this stage I think this is definitely the way to go to see if the service performs well enough.

Im sure we can find 10 aussies willing to pony up 5 to 10 bucks a month to keep our legions flowing? The next thing is to talk to the overdrive crew (to see if them being in charge of it is an option) and to organize how we are going to pay for it without it being a hassle for anyone!

I put my self down for an auto pay of $10 a month:

1. jedics - $10

Greaper has informed me that it has to be a proper dedicated server which drives the price up a bit to a LOT. I have been told that we need roughly 150 gig data transfer and 50 gig of space though it has been suggested we could get away with less than this. Should this prove to be true (as I am a noob to all this) we could consider these deals:

(for $110 a month for the XU-VPS II deal) - http://www.xhostsolutions.com/services/unmanaged-vps.cfm
(for $100 a month + $99 set up fee for the SAU1 deal) - http://www.serversaustralia.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=19&Itemid=20

(for $198 a month the vps core deal) - http://www.ozservers.com.au/index.php?page_id=96&pack_id=361

At this stage not knowing how many aussies are serious about coughing up regular money to do this Im feeling like $200 a month is becoming a bit of a stretch but from looking around thats about what its going to cost if Greapers estimations are accurate.

I guess we need to know if the cheaper 100 buck range is not at all an option and start a list of Aussies willing to contribute regularly. Im willing to cough up a bit extra initially just to actually get legions happening here so ppl start coming out of the woodwork that might want to contribute.

BugsPray asked me not to go ahead with anything yet implying they might be able to organize something for us which would be nice to centralize the payment system but the the above links are still a 'talking point' to start things off.

thoughts?

I agree, but that leaves us with no legions here. Unless a brave few of us step up and offer to pay to make it happen, So I guess we need a show of hand (with money in em) as to how much we can scrape together, Perhaps we need to start hassling the OD crew to begin a donation system to see if they can float the deds here.

those that consider themselves 'keen Legionaires' need to decide if that enthusiasm for the game has any monetary worth, to me its worth $20 a month and while I dont expect everyone to be AS keen as me to hand over the cash, surely something that is so much fun is worth at least $5 a month? FFS its the price of a cup of coffee that no one thinks twice about paying for, I would be demoralized to find I couldnt play legions again finally after all this time just because ppl have the unreasonable notion that everything on the internet should be free.

if the demise of IA isnt a glaring example of what happens to good things on the internet with that attitude I dont know what is!

GReaper

Grumpy

Xhost - Highly likely to be oversold (Virtuozzo virtualisation).
Oz Servers - Absolutely no mention of what virtualisation they use, but for those prices you may as well get a real server.

ServersAustralia - Seems like a reasonable deal. 200GB is probably enough given your community size. If it isn't enough then chances are you've got more players than expected (and therefore can get more people paying towards it).

Only minor problem with ServersAustralia is that when you go to the order page, the bandwidth specifications seem to differ from the servers listed on the products page.

Anyway - keep looking for the best server prices. If you come across any special deals then post them.

I emailed them, they said it is different because it is a 'special' eg. double amount of data for a short time buy now thing.

so we definitely need DED not a few slots?

damn that puts up the price

iago and i would be willing to contribute to playing funds

Still a 100 a month is doable, surely we can get 10 ppl willing to pay 10 bucks a month for a few months, then we just need to find 10 more returning players willing to pay 5 a month and we are set.

Im hoping the OD team sets up a donation system to cover deds for everyones servers, hint, hint?

I will start things off, Im willing to pay $20 towards the set up fee, and $10 a month for the next 2-3 months and re evaluate after that, Im tuff, are you?

by the way, thats just the best deal I found doing a surf for 20 mins so everyone keep their eyes out.

Servers Australia said the deal is only for this month but also said keep an eye out for potentially even better deals in the new year..

GReaper

Grumpy
The alternative would be access to an existing Linux dedicated server, with permission from the admin to run the number of servers needed.

If any provider would be willing to give us access to Linux shell to run it from, then we could probably do it. The issue with the gaming providers which typically sell games based on slot numbers - they aren't likely to give you full access to the server to run whatever you want, instead they'll give you access to some control panel where you can configure some of the settings for the game.

That's why I'm recommending access to a dedicated server - asking all these random game server providers "will you host Legions?" isn't really useful. They're all geared up for selling the same few games, if you want something custom then they'll probably just point you to a dedicated server anyway.

That's why I'm recommending access to a dedicated server - asking all these random game server providers "will you host Legions?" isn't really useful. They're all geared up for selling the same few games, if you want something custom then they'll probably just point you to a dedicated server anyway.

yeah that was my concern with legions

DED is probably the way to go then.....i dont mind paying some (fulltime wage slave) and i know ovo and iago would too....but not sure i can afford $35 a month for some legions

depends on the player base i guess, i have no problem paying for a while to get the community going but after a while costs will add up

I'd be willing to contribute $20 towards set-up and maybe 10-20 bucks for monthly fees. Just need to get a paypal account for payment...............

Vustom

I could buy a dedicated server right now.. I have things holding me back, like that shiny new TV i'ma get soon.

stuby1

hi all fellow aussie legions players i have only just discovered that legions will be back, what is this about hosting an aussie dedicated server? what does it take to do such a thing, and would it cost much? RA stuby1.

hi all fellow aussie legions players i have only just discovered that legions will be back, what is this about hosting an aussie dedicated server? what does it take to do such a thing, and would it cost much? RA stuby1.
we are still looking at options but so far the best dedicated server deal I have found is $100 set up fee then $100 per month after that, so 10 of us paying $10 a month seems doable but havent had many aussies putting their hand up yet which is a bit concerning.

dont worry man ill be 100% in support

after playing tribes 1 for the last little while i will do anything to escape and that includes paying big $$