Australian Servers

Disci

Old man
No, Outlawl, you need to repeat this atleast 100 times and even after that there will be people who didn't listen and asks/rants about same stuff again! :)

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I've heard that excuse before, sadly, it does not reduce my ping nor does it make me happy.

Well bud, you can feel free to complain about it, flame us, or even hate us, but that won't change the fact that there are legal issues with our releasing the game's code. We can't do it. We'd love to -- it'd shut up all the whining and complaining about it, for one thing -- but we can't. So if you don't like the fact that you get bad ping in the beta version of a free-to-play game that's still under development by a team of unpaid volunteers, I'm sure there are other games out there you could play.

[Edit: Bleh, ninja'd by like, three posts. That's what I get for starting a post, going to the bathroom, having a meeting in the hallway, and then finishing it.]

We just need the donations. Can't pay for a server with dreams and fairy dust. =/
I dont see why anyone in the USA or Europe would donate so we can have deds in australia which is why Im trying to get it happening myself as I know legions doesnt have a future here without one.

I've heard that excuse before, sadly, it does not reduce my ping nor does it make me happy.
You have a lot to say on the matter for someone who hasnt offered to help pay for a ded here!

Anyway, I tried, and was let down by others indifference. Nothing new about this story to me.

The simple joy I remembered of this game has been replaced with frustration and disatisfaction at 250+ ping.

I think my Legions days are numbered.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Really sorry to hear that, bud. For what it's worth, we know it's an issue, and if there IS someone who'd be willing to host an Aussie server, I'm sure we'd be able to work something out, have them sign the NDA, etc. etc.

a ded in australia?

dont toy with me....

I will do some serious donating if you get a decent ded in sydney/melbourne or adelaide :)

In fact, if the guys who have already paid for a ded here want me to I will give you their money along with my own to 'oil the wheels of progress' as it were ....

Really sorry to hear that, bud. For what it's worth, we know it's an issue, and if there IS someone who'd be willing to host an Aussie server, I'm sure we'd be able to work something out, have them sign the NDA, etc. etc.
the trouble with someone hosting it at their house on a regular connection is the erratic ping, I have one of the best connections you cant get at home in aust and about half the ppl had ping jumping a lot, not a way to have a fair game unfortunately. Especially when my ping was zero, I almost felt guilty MA'ing the *chocolate cookies* out of ppl........almost :)

Vustom

Would you be able to private message me or email me all the things needed done for someone to host there own Australian Dedicated server (NDA contract, minimum Dedicated server requirements (specs), etc)? and, would you need access to the Australian Dedicated server?

I know someone that might want to put one of there Dedicated servers to use in Australia, but he will most likely want admin privileges on the server (/kick, etc), I admit, I was so pissed last night, the awesome memory's of Legions with low-ping on IA have been ruined by high-ping with Legions: Overdrive, If you (the Legions team) are not interested can you at least let me know.

Edit - I've talked with him again today and he is still interested in setting up a Legions Dedicated server for Australia.

Edit - I told him about the NDA and he said if theres an NDA included he wont be doing it. I guess that's it then, all over.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Would you be able to private message me or email me all the things needed done for someone to host there own Australian Dedicated server (NDA contract, minimum Dedicated server requirements (specs), etc)? and, would you need access to the Australian Dedicated server?

I know someone that might want to put one of there Dedicated servers to use in Australia, but he will most likely want admin privileges on the server (/kick, etc), I admit, I was so pissed last night, the awesome memory's of Legions with low-ping on IA have been ruined by high-ping with Legions: Overdrive, If you (the Legions team) are not interested can you at least let me know.

Edit - I've talked with him again today and he is still interested in setting up a Legions Dedicated server for Australia.

Edit - I told him about the NDA and he said if theres an NDA included he wont be doing it. I guess that's it then, all over.

I have no idea exactly what's involved, but like it says on the FAQ, "If you are able to host a dedicated server in Asia/Pacific or Australian regions, please contact BugsPray." So, yeah... contact Bugs. =)

the-champ

Wouldn't it make sense to upgrade/buy a better Singapore server that will meet the requirements of a vast majority of Australasian players?
There are many aus players who ping good in Singapore server.
I BEG/REQUEST/PLEAD!! the devs to upgrade the Singapore server.
I am tired of the excuse "we need donations"
Heck the donations currently are for only US and euro servers.Where do we donate!!!!!!!!? We dont know and when we ask for a better server then comes a voice "we need donations"

Problem is when people are ready to donate,but no one is ready to take it! 0_o
WHERE DO WE DONATE!!!!!!!!!!!?( for asian servers)

Wouldn't it make sense to upgrade/buy a better Singapore server that will meet the requirements of a vast majority of Australasian players?
I am in Adelaide (south coast) and I ping 130 to Singapore and while playable it is far from acceptable and Im not really willing to pay for that kind of ping for a game as fast as Legions, also there are a lot of players in that region that ping unusually high to Singapore, like Karnage who is in Korea which is much closer than me and he pings 250+.

So while I still agree to upgrading the server (especially in the short term) it is not a solution for at least half of Aussie players.

the-champ

Yeah okay,some people don't ping well in Singapore but most do.
IMO the people who aren't pinging well also have the problem due to a 'not so good' server.
It's weird that some people from malaysia are pinging 200+ in SG server while people from west australia 70-80!You can't really question Singapore as a location but questionable is the quality of the server.
Maybe an upgraded server could solve the problem for high ping of some asians and aussies?

But i fear the staff is not very responsive
frown.png

well Korea is well known for having the best internet in the world so its not likely the connection in Karnage's case. Yet there is a consistency issue for sure, I doubt upgrading it will change this (hopefully Im wrong) but it will allow more than 3-4 ppl on it at a time without it lagging out :) I to was suprised to see WA players pinging so low, much lower than when they played on the Sydney server even though its about the same distance.

I think we need some internet geeks to chime in as to what can cause high ping when geographically and technically it should be much lower?

The server has been up a while now and I know Greaper knows all about it, Id of thought he would have either upgraded it or removed it by now.

Vustom

I have someone that's interested in setting up an Australian Dedicated server for Legions: Overdrive and there fine with signing a NDA, I've let BugsPray know and passed on contact details.

The company that's interested hosts over 100+ gaming servers/lobby's and a total of 20+ different games for the Australian community, I won't say no more though.

That's all I can do for now.

You have a lot to say on the matter for someone who hasnt offered to help pay for a ded here!
I may not have offered to help with payments but at least I did not lie like those 6-7 other people did about helping out with payments and then not paying.

Are there enough Australian players to warrant getting an Australian server? Let's say we do get one. We're all happy, but only say 5 or 6 of us are in the server say when it first gets here
Thats likely to happen in the beginning however most of the players you mention dont play because they are sick of nothing happening with legions so when we start seeing new content players will return, its just been so long since legions went positively forward that ppl are fed up but they still love the game in that special z axis kinda way.
I may be a tad pessimistic. If so please feel free to prove me wrong. I'd love to have an Australian server but only if we can play some quality CTF!!
Yes, yes you are!
I may not have offered to help with payments but at least I did not lie like those 6-7 other people did about helping out with payments and then not paying.
Haha thats true :)

Royalty

The Aussie
I live in Melbourne. Now Australia is a really big place. If a server was hosted in WA or the NT, do you think I could still get -100 ping?
Asking for a professional opinion here...

EDIT: If a ded server was hosted in Adelaide, Melbourne or NSW, I would definitely donate.

when a server was in sydney the only ppl who pinged over a 100 were oca and nighthawk in WA, myself in Adelaide it was about 70-80 ms.

I tried to get a server here a number of times, Ive given up on the idea as no one is serious enuf about legions here, if player hosting ever happens that is about the only chance of a ded here. By that time I dont think there will be enuf Aussies left to care.

Even I have grown weary of the C grade level of games happening on our side of the world and unless Im up for DM I bother less and less with legions nowadays.

save me tribes ascend, your my only hope....

Royalty

The Aussie
when a server was in sydney the only ppl who pinged over a 100 were oca and nighthawk in WA, myself in Adelaide it was about 70-80 ms.

I tried to get a server here a number of times, Ive given up on the idea as no one is serious enuf about legions here, if player hosting ever happens that is about the only chance of a ded here. By that time I dont think there will be enuf Aussies left to care.

Even I have grown weary of the C grade level of games happening on our side of the world and unless Im up for DM I bother less and less with legions nowadays.

save me tribes ascend, your my only hope....
Have you found any possible servers?

ye but we are looking at 200+ a month, I didnt get enuf payers to cover even half of this amount and that is not including the set up fee of 100 or so.

Pity as I would have paid up the difference if we had got even close, the ctf quality was much better than the asia servers as we actually are interested in playing as a team.

Anyway that ship has long since sailed.