ascend bolt rifle

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Everyone_db2e44_443501.jpg

Got alot to reply to but busy now, chill in the mean time.

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
Not sure what the "fixed" part is in rearranging my statement.
My point is that at present Legions is a game that is run by a handful of developers working from home afaik, in comparison to the hundreds of developers working in an actual games developing environment at Hi-Rez. With the large number of developers Hi-Rez have behind the game, and the small number of developers behind Legions, Legions is undoubtedly superior.
I strongly believe that *Tribes: Ass-End* is the inferior if they were both to be compared right now, in the state they are, and also keeping in mind the number of developers behind both games.
I would love to see Legions hit the level of gameplay and players as Tribes.
Where in your first post did you mention this, or anything similar? It seemed like a Legions hate post tbh.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
legions is boring. i guess objectively speaking it has potential, but until something big happens we are stuck with a blob of a community - half of which are little outrider balerina turds eager to spam quickchat ingame and the other half of which are inactive. everytime i play i feel like i'm wasting my time and i probably am, but now it's getting to the point where i can't say 'i have nothing better to do' anymore. so no, 100 *dancing* times no. legions is not superior to t:a

and i say this even when i haven't touched t:a since january. did they ever fix that bug where whenever you midaired someone it lagged and looked like you hit a pile of nothing? yea well i think i am better off playing lol and dota (and darksiders2 when it comes out)

stefygraff

Private Tester
Whats with the fuss about T:A being a bad game? hell i had fun!
Legions is still beta, its not a deep game or anything.

Mots0311

My point is that at present Legions is a game that is run by a handful of developers working from home afaik, in comparison to the hundreds of developers working in an actual games developing environment at Hi-Rez. With the large number of developers Hi-Rez have behind the game, and the small number of developers behind Legions, Legions is undoubtedly superior.
I strongly believe that *Tribes: Ass-End* is the inferior if they were both to be compared right now, in the state they are, and also keeping in mind the number of developers behind both games.

Where in your first post did you mention this, or anything similar? It seemed like a Legions hate post tbh.

"Ok, I cant believe I finally got bored of legions and having no other interest in other games I tried out T:A for the first time. All I gotta say is WOW what great possibilities for Legions!! I'm a Legionaire first and foremost although I do have to admit T:A is a far superior game and here are my reasons why-"

Maybe this wasnt clear enough, not being a big gamer myself I was impressed with Tribes in the last week and saw all the possibilities of Legions. I'm not completely up to speed with the genesis of Legions and who and when it got started. I thought Legions is a spinoff of Tribes being that Tribes has been around I think 10 years? I prefer Legions over Tribes anyday but as of late the game has become boring with so few players, and I dont know whats going on with the servers but I am certain the physics of the game keeps getting messed with by someone, thats fine but let it be known so I dont get frustrated and cant figure out why my outrider feels like a 10 ton tank.
My hope is that Legions does get a boost in budget and can get the staff of developers in a studio and really make the game take off. That requires lots of money but a succesful game can bring the money in. I know *Fireblasto* poo pooed the money aspect part but I seriously doubt he lives in the real world.
This community is dying and I hate it, look at the general discussion forums, its all retreads of previous posts by the same people patting each other on the back. I also noticed no one took issue with my first comment about "shenanigans" going on with the game. I'm not saying theres hacking, but something isnt right. I can give examples but I gotta go.
Legions for life!

Propkid

disc jumping.
Sounds like my grandpas back condition which he gets when he stands up. :D 'Oooh disc jumping again'.

OT: I'd gladly explain why Legions is superior to Tribes if at least one legitimate, sane and valid argument was provided as to T:A being better. So far I CBA with some morons who's initial assumptions are that the game's community affects how good the game is.

EDIT:

"I know *Fireblasto* poo pooed the money aspect part but I seriously doubt he lives in the real world.

I'll save Fire the sweating. He poo-pooed the T:A making money part, not L:O needing money. That's because... well, first of all it's irrelevant to a game being good. Second of all T:A is F2P, so he might've had that on his mind too.

Fixious

Test Lead

There are 15 people working on *Tribes: Ass-End*. HiRez has ~50 developers in general.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
Tribes is better then legions mostly because of what Mukhtar stated. The only thing anyone might be able to win is the fact that skiing in legions is easier and more smooth. Although games aren't meant to be easy. Anything else cannot compare.

About what fireblasto said, I can't really see how Tribes doesn't have better defined classes and purposes. They have more customization and more game types which gives more purpose to each class. Legions has CTF (TDM is not played), a small amount of weapons, and less classes. Sentinals HoF (noone has proven to be a good HO), Outriders cap and chase, and Raiders stayhome and LO. Honestly Legions cant compare to Tribes in terms of most of the things that makes a videogame good such as dev team and content.

Then again Legions is a pretty good game given the fact that the devs don't have money. But arguing about which game is better is stupid.

Application-1

test bester
I only play TDM in T:A and it is great. It is about killing people but remaining flag control. A few amazing maps for TDM make it totally worth atleast a try.

Turn of the commentary and dont look at his gameplay, it is about the map.

Have not had this much fun in dueling since quake 3, not as much of course.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Whats with the fuss about T:A being a bad game? hell i had fun!
Legions is still beta, its not a deep game or anything.
Nor is T:A... But at least L:O combat has more depth than a single weapon + "sidearm" and a few nades.

The vehs are as well designed for the gameplay as pineapples are to be showed up the anus and the combo of insane regen, spawning with loadouts and the excuses of a base make all the "depth" really just fade away.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Here goes one of the biggest posts I have written on this forum in a long time, and will hopefully be one of my more constructive ones in recent times.

Let me start by explaining where I started off with Legions. Roughly 9 months before IA went down for its "2 day maintenance" - those were the noob days for me, just playing the game, getting addicted, moaning at lame computer. IA went down for its 9 months and I switch over to playing Quake Live, where I learnt twitch elements of shooting, timing, awareness etc and met some great people along the way (Sadly I don't play much anymore because Quake couldn't keep me addicted to it after Legions came back) I also tried alittle of T1, T2 and T:V in this period and found them to be very different, but still fun.

Legions made a bigger impression on me this time around as I got into pickups, learnt things, met people, pissed people off (which I do regret today) - but also learned so so much. Built a computer, played legions better, and even formed a community of friends that right now idle in #spektrum and are completely friendly and harmless (except for dabbleh, he bites) - but legions as a community has died off so that I looked for other skill-based games to play. Two were found, Firefall (Which I like very much, but is a long way from being complete) and Tribes:Ascend.

Public's in T:A were pretty mind-fumblingly boring and weapon balance was done badly. (Some of this has been fixed, some of it has not). In T:A I slowly got into the competitive scene, but played a couple of euro mixes, and felt the game really was not balanced. I even tried playing for a top-tier euro team, but felt bored even in scrims and matches that were important for the team as there was no excitement, no clutch play that legions offered, and shortly left after I discover the team leader was a pretty autocratic leader.

So yes, I am more qualified and in a better position to determine if T:A sucks than you are.

I'm failing to understand what the problem with "making money" is.

Note that I said weapon balance was not balanced? This is because of the "Pay-2-Win" nature of the game. P2W refers to players buying 'kit' or 'gear' to make them have better stats than other default players. While it is not as apparent in T:A, the element is still there. In fact, HiRezBart posted on his twitter to say that the game WAS NOT P2W, and then re-tweeted several ignorant consumers reactions saying that it was not P2W and that they enjoyed the game as it was in its free2play state.

While this is perfectly acceptable in publics, drawing in ignorant consumers who then buy the overpowered stuff (I have no sympathy for these consumers, it is their own fault they are getting ripped off), but for the more experienced FPS player, one should be easily be able to point out where the game is unbalanced.

In competition this has a slightly different reasons, how do you get new players joining competitively when they do not have the gear needed? While some overpowered stuff is banned, and there are rulesets that T:A competitions used, you can clearly hear Loachy's frustration @ 5:15 here in that video.

I think its great Legions is an all volunteer staff and under contract to not make a single cent on the game due to an agreement with IA. Which is why I tend to not be to critical of the devs and the issues going on. But come on is Legions just a hobby for a few that get to "tinker" around with the game and develop their own skills as a game designer?

I would like you to know that a few developers to take this project quite seriously, i.e. Triad who I have nothing but respect for now, so you coming out with that last statement is pretty rude and ignorant of you.

Tribes is the model.

YES, original Tribes, not the dumbed-down crap that Hi-Rez calls "Tribes : Ascend" which is actually descended.

"HiRez crew talking out their ass, surprised they motivate anyone to play with their dull tones. Last line cracked me up as well @ 5:38. "

Yea I remember Crash and that other guy blowing smoke about to just be patient and Legions will be up and running sooooooon. How soon Crash? Soooooon. I hope Monkey Island is going well for them. Sounds like *Fireblasto* has some hard feelings because HiRez wouldnt listen to his probably lame ideas. I'm guessing his suggestion was that everything should be free for all.

Crash and Wiley were given orders, they didn't like it and many people here know that already. I feel partly the same for HiRezBart, though he seems to be hypnotized in complying (But after all, it is his job and he might want to keep it)

If you're going to *chocolate cookies* talk IA at least get it right. Crash and Wiley had absolutely nothing to do with what was going on, they were just relaying messages. It was Lou Castle who had them all focused on Instant Jam. Not Secret of Monkey Island. Those guys did absolutely nothing but try to get the Arcade back up. So don't ever try to badmouth either of those guys again.

Jord sums it up pretty nicely I think,

My lame ideas are ones that 99% of the euro competitive scene mostly agrees with. To be totally honest, someone needs to edit in a troll face over his @ 5:38 of that video, because part of me laughed, but part of me felt shat on by Hi-Rez as a consumer of the game.

You must not be able to read, I understand the concept of skiing etc. Legions altogether moves much faster and has a better feel of speed and movement. I havent seen amazing grabs or technical moves in Tribes like I have in Legions.

I will agree with you on this, you're absolutely correct. In legions 1 man can make a bigger difference than 1 man can in Tribes - a part which I think is very important to a skill based shooter, as skill is rewarded more in legions than in T:A, and so is 'clutch' where a player makes a good play.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
[This Part of my post is at Gundam, no one else]

You obviously haven't played the game, I doubt you even play legions. All the points mots pointed out were correct. The game isn't even grind, most of the default weapons are already the best ones. Classes take very little time to unlock. It has a pretty dedicated dev team and CM that holds out tourneys with cash prizes on a monthly basis. I don't know why you bolded the "Better defined classes and purposes.". In Legions lights are meant to cap, yet heavies do the job ten times easier and faster l0l. And yes, I hate to say it, but tribes is a far superior game, better community, vets that actually offer help to the rookies, pugs on a daily basis, better graphics and visuals. So please, next time before you get butthurt, play the game before you bad mouth it.

The bold shows all the points that were correct from mot's post. Try again.

Really how much of a 'VET' are you that you so claimed to be when you told SeymourGore to lock that stupid 'OvD' thread of yours? Most of what you said in there was stupid and when you got called out by me and Lionz, you promptly asked it to be locked...

While there are some very strong points about Tribes Ascend, namely its large community and yes support that is given to new players. Gameplay-wise it is very watered down compared to original Tribes, and in my opinion, legions. Personally, Hi-rez's marketing doesn't inspire me to play their game either.

I bolded the "Better defined classes and purposes" as T:A has it has its own problems with classes. Do you remember the scrambler class? I was went to be used for distraction and clearing the way for incoming cappers. Instead, it was used capping because of grenades that could be used to propel the player along and blind the defending team if used correctly - here is a video showing it in action - you might recognize the player. It only got fixed because there was MASSIVE outcry for it to be fixed, one of the few instances where Hi-Rez have given the competitive community what they wanted. There are other examples as well, invisible infiltrator with super heavy perk?!

Also, heavy cap is usually only effective on smaller maps like nivosus and moonshine, which were rarely played in pickups and are rarely seen in public games now too to how bad the maps are (Because they are also the oldest legions maps)

he has. the majority of his more recent forum posts describe his hatred for that game.

srs, go look at his past forum posts lol.

Yes, this is correct, though I have not explained it in such a detailed way before.

Gundam, do some research before trying to call me out and chatting *chocolate cookies* about me - it makes you seem more intelligent.

[back to the main post]

legions is boring. i guess objectively speaking it has potential, but until something big happens we are stuck with a blob of a community - half of which are little outrider balerina turds eager to spam quickchat ingame and the other half of which are inactive. everytime i play i feel like i'm wasting my time and i probably am, but now it's getting to the point where i can't say 'i have nothing better to do' anymore. so no, 100 *dancing* times no. legions is not superior to t:a

I disagree here, what if legions had the backing of investors, had a strong active community, and esports potential while keeping the same gameplay? (Though obviously more finished and complete than it is now) Would it be more fun to play seeing as everyone else was playing it? (I'm thinking more towards recent seller diablo3 of course) and ME3 was fun to play until the ending right? Size of the community is usually directly proportional to the longevity of the game and the amount of fun the community has, unless something goes wrong. (I.e. ME3's ending, where most people now hate the game, or have at-least have mixed feelings about it)

Maybe this wasnt clear enough, not being a big gamer myself I was impressed with Tribes in the last week and saw all the possibilities of Legions. I'm not completely up to speed with the genesis of Legions and who and when it got started. I thought Legions is a spinoff of Tribes being that Tribes has been around I think 10 years? I prefer Legions over Tribes anyday but as of late the game has become boring with so few players,

Yes, yes, legions is dying, get over it. While tribes might have a stronger community, a stronger community does not mean better gameplay.

I dont know whats going on with the servers but I am certain the physics of the game keeps getting messed with by someone, thats fine but let it be known so I dont get frustrated and cant figure out why my outrider feels like a 10 ton tank.

Diagnose your connection using the instructions here. Make sure you are not using wireless to connect your computer to the internet, its best to have a wired Ethernet line between your router and computer.

My hope is that Legions does get a boost in budget and can get the staff of developers in a studio and really make the game take off. That requires lots of money but a succesful game can bring the money in. I know *Fireblasto* poo pooed the money aspect part but I seriously doubt he lives in the real world.

Never going to happen, unless, KICKSTARTER. (no, that's a really bad idea)

As for the money aspect, I was referring to the P2W aspect of T:A (READ UP). As for living in the real world aspect, I probably live in more of a realistic world than you, of course businesses want to make money! That's the number #1 goal of them, but to be more successful, maybe you should get good consumer relations, an informed player-base, etc.

This community is dying and I hate it, look at the general discussion forums, its all retreads of previous posts by the same people patting each other on the back. I also noticed no one took issue with my first comment about "shenanigans" going on with the game. I'm not saying theres hacking, but something isnt right. I can give examples but I gotta go.
Legions for life!

tumblr_m3ppr99aWV1r0zh6j.jpg

Please sir, tell me more.

TL;DR VERSION: There is no TL;DR version, read the above.

Vox

Everybody, just chill the *dance* out.
We all have our different opinions on the two games, but there isn't need to go talking *chocolate cookies* to each other about it.
I say this thread should get cleaned up, and monitored carefully or just locked in general.

Sin

Private Tester
I was staying out of this, but really?

1. Tribes is a PAID DEV TEAM WITH 15 DEVS. PAID. PAID AS IN MONEY. AS IN $$$$$$$$$$ and €€€€€€€€€€€€€.
2. Tribes came out when? Obviously it will have better graphics.
3. We are a revived version of a game that got shot in the face with a sawed-off. Don't be surprised we have scars. i.e. community/funding/whatnot
4. Legions has no advertising because we aren't sponsored, funded, or on steam, barring some response from IAC.
5. The current devs have done way more than anyone sees behind the scenes. They do it on their own time, without pay, just for the sake of the game. Cut them some slack. They deserve way more than what you all are debating in this useless thread.
6. Tribes and Legions are two completely different games. They can't really compare.