As an Old Tribes Player, I'd LOVE to see....

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Yeah, if you were using deployables, there would be a need for. Another example would be that you can't put up a wall of mines or mines too close to the flag...

But surely the flag would be the best place for mines?
It would take out inexperienced or unexpecting cappers, but experienced players could just do what they've always done with clusters. Fire a shot or two ahead to harmlessly detonate them.

Personally I'd quite like to see mines, but what I would ask, is are the mines team friendly, like say T:V mines, or will they blow up if Anyone passes over them.
The answer to that would change where you'd want them placed quite a lot I feel.

Hoyz

But surely the flag would be the best place for mines?
It would take out inexperienced or unexpecting cappers, but experienced players could just do what they've always done with clusters. Fire a shot or two ahead to harmlessly detonate them.

Personally I'd quite like to see mines, but what I would ask, is are the mines team friendly, like say T:V mines, or will they blow up if Anyone passes over them.
The answer to that would change where you'd want them placed quite a lot I feel.

Depending on the proximity of mines as well. If it is just on the spot, anyone just hovering above it would miss it (which is pretty much everyone else)... Haha
But isn't the cluster grenade already a mine in its form? :confused:

The difference is a cluster grenade isn't technically a mine, more a remotely detonated explosive device.

I should think it would be have some kind of proximity sensor and would detonate if something passes fairly closely above it, or very close to the side of it.
Considering that players are using jetpacks, I'd suggest the mines would be some kind of "Bouncing Betty" mines.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Proximity detonation might make more sense if mines are used (not saying I approve, though) If somebody, an HoF plants explosives on the flag, then killing the HoF who put them there makes them disappear, or go with the kamikaze method, where the death of the planter results in detonation.

Or just have proximity detonation...
Volt, perhaps you didn't read my post.
I mention a "proximity sensor" which "would detonate if something passes fairly closely above it, or very close to the side of it."
That is basically part of the definition of proximity detonation.
All I'm saying is said proximity sensor is shaped to detect at a greater distance above it (since most players would simply try to pass over it), and when it detonates, it detonates at around head height for a standing outrider.
Proximity detonation might make more sense if mines are used (not saying I approve, though) If somebody, an HoF plants explosives on the flag, then killing the HoF who put them there makes them disappear, or go with the kamikaze method, where the death of the planter results in detonation.
An interesting concept, it would mean that new tactics would be required, however a lot of the time, mines (apart from mines at a flag, say mines sitting just inside an entrance to your base), you would want to be sitting there for a fair portion of the game, as a sort of "just in case" thing. Unless the planter remained hidden from action for the entirety of a game, I somewhat doubt that he would be able to use this tactic.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
there are already GLs, I don't think we need one that can launch them further. That's the Rocket Launcher's job. There's been a lot of discussion on the turret deployments, perhaps, fisheggs, you should read the entire thread. Its 7 pages long yes, but it good to stay with the program.

Disci

Old man
there are already GLs, I don't think we need one that can launch them further. That's the Rocket Launcher's job. There's been a lot of discussion on the turret deployments, perhaps, fisheggs, you should read the entire thread. Its 7 pages long yes, but it good to stay with the program.

Seems that he is thinking about mortar.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Its not really beginning to look like Halo. These are all just suggestions anyways. Some will become a reality and some won't. Also, I wouldn't say that these ideas are ideas that would make the game more like Halo. This game is much more quickly paced than the Halo games, despite the insanity in matchmaking.

Certainly the concept is. And most certainly that the game will definitely not look like Halo. I am not a fan of it, but if I was a stranger to legions and if I were to come across this post, my first idea would be "Halo". Just please. No aliens or campaign ♥

Now, what were we talking about?

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
as in larger explosion radius? I don't know about that, the current amount requires a certain amount of skill for people to use the rockets and grenades. Take away the skill, and you've got a problem. If anybody can run into a base and fire an explosive weapon that will open a large hole in the defense, then the point of playing legions is gone.