As an Old Tribes Player, I'd LOVE to see....

NYPD219

#1. Vehicles, namely a Shrike type fast flier, and some sort of Tank or Mobile base.
#2. Large maps, for vehicles of course.
#3. DEPLOYABLES, namely turrets and mobile reload stations.

These additions would make playing more enjoyable for me and a lot of other old Tribes Players. If you never played Tribes, then you will love these suggestions if implemented.

What do you all think? Any other suggestions to add a little more "Tribes" flavor?
:D

NYPD219

@57th A2, did you play Tribes?

Vehicles would absolutely add some more dimension to the game. If you played Tribes 2 you'd understand that. (and...if you did, I don't mean to imply that you did not. just saying ;) ) Loading up a Shrike with a flag runner was a lot of fun. Even "with jet packs". Loading up a heavy carrier with heavies, and dropping morters on a base was even more fun.

The game is not just about skiing. Skiing was a bug in Tribes and was left in the game. Legions built it into the game, and it is amazing, but having to fend off a Shrike, now what was fun!

Having a deployable reload station, means just that. Deploy it where you want. At the moment all reload stations in the game are static. Having one that you can deploy anywhere makes little mini bases possible, and destroyable.

It added a little more dimension to the game when an opposing team could set up a mini base, and cause some of the base defenders to have to go attack it.

Turrets are a lot of fun, and could be a slot for a medium or heavy armor type.

Also, if you add vehicles, you can add class dimensions, like an Engineer type.

NYPD219

OH! I almost forgot. I'd LOVE to see the old game type, RABBIT! it was a "Kill the man with the Ball type game, where the whole server chased the person with the flag, and the next guy picked it up and ran...rinse repeat.

Why?

AMAZING MA practice! Seriously, it was a great accuracy practice game type for clans.

Think about it, please!

Fixious

Test Lead
I think they actually had Rabbit in Legions, along with Hunters. Those were on modded servers, however...

edit: Blast!

Karnage

Private Tester
I think that the difference between Tribes and Legions is that Legions is more like a sport-based game with a court and goals whereas Tribes is more like warfare. Difficult to figure out what would work well in a hybrid of the two. Not saying anyone is wrong or right but it might be helpful to keep in mind.

I have to say, if we brought in Deployable reload stations, we'd be seeing....
*start horror music*
"RETURN of the UNLIMITED AMMO O-SNIPER"
*keep going for a moment, then end horror music*

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Personally, I'd love to see vehicles, larger maps, and deployables.

There's been a lot of hate for vehicles in the past, and I never quite understood that. I think if done correctly, vehicles would add a lot of dimension to Legions: Overdrive. With that said, deployables and customizable loadouts are more at the top of my wish list, though.

As for the 'unlimited ammo' reload station sniper, I don't think it'd be that effective depending on how the deployable is implemented. You could restrict the deployable to non-laser rifle armour classes, make it a one-time deployable (cannot redeploy); And the o-sniper would definitely be more stationary if he's trying to fire off shots then returning to the same reload station to restock.

Mahidhar

Personally, I like Legions to be more player dependent, than environment dependent. I played tribes(only for a short while though), and it really wasn't my type of game. Tribes was all about strategy, timing and team skill. To prepare for a match, a professional team would have to think on, how to place their deployables, like mines, reload stations etc, for hours and hours and train. That would be fun, yes, but not in Legions. For me, Legions is supposed to be a 'less complicated' game than Tribes, but faster. As you said, NYPD, Tribes was not about skiing, and skiing was actually a bug in the game. But, Legions is made for skiing. Get the difference? I come back from college, stressed out. I just wanna start up a game, pick a class, shoot some people and log off. I just wanna play a game, which requires more of my instinct, than my mind, and you can survive an evening game in a public server, in Legions, with just that. If I really want to put in my mind, I would, by sorting out effective cap routes in a map, judging the positions of my players, whether they need any changes, stuff like that. It is a completely different story for Tribes. You'd have to think, every time, to survive in a CTF game, and I hate it, when a game tries to force me to think, and not let me go ahead in the game(I found some RPG games to be like that, at some points).

When I said; Legions is more player dependent game, it is. Everything in the game, needs to be done, personally by the player himself, not with the help of any detachable machinery or vehicles. If you want more defense, you'll be switching players, not upgrading to a mother ship(sorry, don't really know the names of those things in Tribes). It's a small and simple game, where player positions and speed matters and nothing should effect that. If Legions really need any expanding, it should be in the form of classes, so the player can have more versatile options, while choosing. Other upgrades can be weapons, maps and whatever the developers can think off, and it'll all be done without harming the speed of the game-play. If you really want Tribes, wait till January, 2011, and you'll have your game; Tribes Universe.

Disci

Old man
I have to say, if we brought in Deployable reload stations, we'd be seeing....
*start horror music*
"RETURN of the UNLIMITED AMMO O-SNIPER"
*keep going for a moment, then end horror music*

You can't destroy their deplyables? Just go there and *dance* up their set up and their base and their D and their dogs and wifes.

I wish to see deployables, grens and mines. Also more weapons to get job done when enemy is farming like a maniac. I say no to vehicles and welcome more faster game pace type of gameplay ie LT/cluster but more depth in it.

@Mahidhar, that kind of Legions would just die after a while when people gets bored. Also there should be something new players should be able to do and farming is always fun thing to do for some(not me).

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] I hate it, when a game tries to force me to think [...]
Not really surprised. This seems to become the standard, which is why so many successful games are dumbed down like hell. People neither want to think nor learn, just to be entertained. That's the death of good and deep games.

Everything you listed for FE:L would basically make the game Tribes Universe...alpha.
:rolleyes:

Mahidhar

Not really surprised. This seems to become the standard, which is why so many successful games are dumbed down like hell. People neither want to think nor learn, just to be entertained. That's the death of good and deep games.

:rolleyes:
Did you even read the rest of what I wrote? You didn't understand? Read again.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
You're a funny little guy, and I'll do you the favour not to comment on everything that's wrong with your post. And yes, of course I did read it. Now go and build a mothership.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I want to see Legions become a good and deep game, that requires both strategizing and skill. Don't take this comment to mean that I want to see necessarily a slower paced game; I want to have a deeper, more customizable experience.

I like to think that we can find a balance and make a game that appeals to players who just want to jump in and have fun and those who desire a deeper experience.

Mahidhar

I don't really read anyone's favors and I ain't joking. I'll "build my mothership" and you can eat your ice cream.