As an Old Tribes Player, I'd LOVE to see....

NYPD219

As boy who studies on high school I wanna get the helicopter and drive on it.
:confused:

At first I didn't like the thether turret idea, but it is kinda growing on me. Kudos to bringing the idea to this thread. :)

How about a deployable pod that has to be placed within a radius of the base, let's say for "energy needs". The pod could cresent open, and two beams that are like "energy ammo chains" lock onto the players arms Then the Legionaire can move while tethered to his new source of ammo. It could maybe give him a little shield boost. It would still be up to the player to aim, but he will now have the added benifit of the extra ammo and shielding boost. What the turret can then shoot would be dependent on the SUIT tethered to it, light, medium, or heavy.

It would then be a strategic practicing point for the teams to learn the best placements for the little dome turret tethers. After all they would be fixed points, and highly vulnerable to sniping. You could introduce an "ELF or EMP Missile to counter these points as well. As far as animations goe, just let em BLOW UP into a million pieces like a Legionnaire. :cool:

You could solve the "whole Tether" equation by simply allowing a deployable TURRET that the player can sit in. Like a 360 degree ball seat housing he has to sit in with a gun attached. The player could rotate within the ball and aim, receiving the added cover of the seat's "cage". They would be dependent on base energy as all things are in this game type, dependent on recharge or ammo. The animation for placing it could be some sort of case or ball that is placed down that either grows into the turret, or even teleports the whole housing to the spot of the placement.

The old Tribes based static "Ion Turrets" were honestly a LAUGHABLE threat to good cappers with established ski and cap route. The little ai monkey in the turret would go "pew pew pew" and a flag runner at speed could just zip through them because the turret rotates and moved so slowly, and the capper could enjoy the fireworks as he sailed by. They became fun harassment when base defenders could block or slow a guy down for the turret to be able to get a bead on them. They also became more accurate within a "sensor array". Sensors were vital for your turrets to be effective.

Also for the negative Nancy replies here, :D there is still no reason where "Deployables and Vehicles" were not allowed on some server set ups, or make it a vote option. That way they can have their more traditionally "vanilla" game of Legions to play with when they want, and the rest of the boys get the new toys.:cool: (And hot gamer chicks too)

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
At first I didn't like the thether turret idea, but it is kinda growing on me. Kudos to bringing the idea to this thread.

I personally, would prefer tethers be built into bases, though I suppose an option would be to make the tether-only weapons at set hardpoints and let the other ones be deployables within a set radius of the flag. Once again, I'd prefer them all be hardpoints, but I'd tolerate deployables that only enhance standard weapons...

Regardless, the domes should be destructible. Thinking through it in my head, I've come up with an idea... If you made the tethers model chains with flexible joints, when the dome is destroyed, the tether would immediately fall and would be somewhat like a trail of gunpowder as you'd give each chain a timer and when the previous one is destroyed, it waits a few milliseconds and is then itself destroyed, "igniting" the next one down the chain until it reaches the player where it would obviously stop.

If you put people into static turrets, you've defeated the entire point of tethering someone. Tethering prevents them from being a sitting duck. In Halo, Battlefront, you name it, you're fine if you're in a turret, but that wouldn't be so in Legions. You honestly think that a player moving at 200m/s can't blast you while you're struggling to get a bead on them? That is the purpose of tethers. They allow defenders the advantage of increased firepower, but come at the cost of limited (though not destroyed) mobility. In this way, they have more power, but aren't sitting ducks.

Disci

Old man
are you sure?
the development team are players of the game, they know what the spoilers are
I surly hope they don't spoil it

Most, if not all, of the Legions: Overdrive developers have played Tribes (1, 2, V) on various levels including both casual and competitive. We'll definitely be drawing from our experiences with Tribes and using them to improve Legions, but Legions is not Tribes and will never be Tribes.

There you go, mate! No they are not going to spoil anything, but there will be things that some of us would not want to have there and some definately will think that the old Legions we used to play is going to be spoiled because of them.

Well I've said that but some people tend to say there will be new stuff
and I haven't read official posts regarding any thing about making changes besides making it standalone

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Disaster, the point of the suggestions thread is for the community to present and debate new possibilities with Legions. We are trying to enhance the game and make it a more fulfilling experience to play it.
My thoughts for tethers. There could be two kinds of tethers. Hardpoint tethers that are permanent, but can sustain damage, be destroyed and respawn after a certain amount of time, giving LO another way to make capping easier. These would couple with standard weapons and give different effects to them and the suchlike. These would be the beams of light that turn more corporeal in contact with the walls (magic concrete explanation or something better to explain it if anybody asks) Then, a deployable tether that has some special weapon included. A player can deploy the tether within a certain radius of the base (base radii should be different for different maps, taking into account the factors of map size and base size.) Defense can then extend a perimeter of defense if a sensor trips and shows a large invasion force, like, on an epic map, seven LO and cappers total ready to wreak havoc and steal the flag. The defenders can then predict where they will approach the base from and have one defender set up a deployable tether with a corporeal chain and one defensive weapon. Then, defense has a first line that would buy more time for their team's offense to get to the enemy base without wondering "where did our flag go?" My thoughts on the tether system. I haven't put too much time into thinking about this two-tether system, so it might need some more work if everybody else likes that idea.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I think it needs to be consistently non-corporeal. In regards to the ones on bases, I wouldn't have them respawn, I'd have them be repairable.

Also, if you make them static and non-deployable, you don't have to worry about making sure you're in range... These things aren't intended to replace deployable auto-turrets. These things are intended to replace heavy, user-controlled ones. That's kinda why I think they should be static...

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
The effective base radius could be displayed in the HUD. They could both be non-corporeal, I was just thinking an aesthetic change for the purpose of telling the difference, though location is a good indicator of that.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I guess there could be some notifier on the screen telling you the distance you are from your base, that would work for other things aside from tethers...

Once again, I still don't really want them deployable, though if they are basically inside the base, I wouldn't mind as much as long as some were built in...