The Great Mortar Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
mortar is definately being missused... the issue at hand is being respectful in public servers. There was always issues with snipers because of its missuse for O-sniping. I see its no different here with spaming mortars here, just the misuse.

Mahidhar

I think the Mortar is a necessary weapon to be, in the hands of a heavy. You go into any server, other than public tests and play against a heavy, you'll notice that they're pathetic. You get an Outrider and a Sentinel in a duel, it should be in such a way that the Outrider is running circles around the heavy, but if the heavy did catch the Outrider, he's a dead man. And because of the mortar, that is happening. Now, people are actually thinking twice about going against a Sentinel, instead of just charging at them and telling themselves that it's gonna be a piece of cake.

The only problem I see with the Mortar is it's long range. And when that range is combined with massive damage and area of effect, it becomes easy to kill escaping Cappers. This eliminates the use of chasers(but only on small maps). What should happen is that the heavy needs to be dangerous as he is right now at his base, but not at range/when he's chasing. You go close to the heavy, and you're dead, that's how the scenario should be, and the heavy need not be any more dominating than that. Before the Mortar came, the heavy had a hard time in clearing the base, but now it's different. He can handle his own, and has no need for multiple light defenders on his team. Just for that, the mortar is useful to the heavy, to clear the base, and to be able to stand up to his foes.

I look at the Mortar as a heavy weapon, being operated by the heaviest class. Therefore, the projectiles it looses must also be 'heavy' in a sense. The large green stink balls need to nerfed in terms of range, nothing else. So when the capper uses his team to deviate the heavy and is successful in grabbing the flag, he should only be killed by chasers, and not because of a mortar launched by a heavy from his base(even when the capper is half way to his base). This way the Chasers are given back their prominence, and there will be no mortar spamming on the flag stands by enemies standing far on a hill.

As for the accidental team killing happening, that depends on player awareness. One's an idiot if he were to choose to stay on the stand and defend while having a HoF standing right next to him. As a lighter class user, I normally choose to stay in places like the front bridge, towers etc to block/MA the enemy capper and reduce the work the heavy has to do. You want to stand near the flag, and damage incoming cappers/get contagious overdrive, even though you know your team got a HoF, and the HoF mortars the stand, blame your self for your death and not the heavy.

prometheus11

As one who uses the mortar... as a way of coming to an agreement... I would recommend the mortar being used for stopping force mainly. Meaning... decrease the damage but increase the physical force it produces. This means it can be used to knock cappers off course or stop them completely to allow chasers to hunt them down. This gives the sentinel more of a support class weapon rather than an all purpose bomb. Also I would love it if the mortar had a longer held visual so it can be used as a smoke screen type effect. I find it useful to fire a mortar not simply to destroy incoming cappers but to mask my movement as I body-block them.

Another possibility to make the mortar require more skill (this would be alternative to the above suggestion):

Instead of giving the mortar a timed explosion on impact. Meaning, if it's fired (currently) it has a few seconds before it's armed and then once it connects with a structure (ground, building, player) it explodes. Why not increase the time and make it explode exactly on time? Say 4-5 seconds? This would decrease it's max range, increase it's minimum range (or require some epic timing), *and* allow for some midair explosions (which wouldn't be OP because they would require some serious timing).

Suggestion #1: Decrease damage and increase physical knock-back force. Also increase the duration that the visual stays up.
Suggestion #2: Set a timer for the mortar to detonate. 4-5 seconds or maybe identical to reload time? Does not destroy on impact, only destroys at the timer (or being hit directly by a weapon, not destroyed by any splash damage.)

Disci

Old man
Main purpose of the gun is that you can *dance* up enemy base and/or provide artillery fire just to keep the defenders on their toes. That's what mortar is about. Now if you figure out other uses for it then be my guest, but this weapon is not solely for killing cappers. Weapon is there because what devs have in mind in the future of the Legions and you can read all about it in the blog section.

Note: I don't speak for the whole community and will never attempt to do so. These are my own opinions and I don't expect to share them with anyone on these boards.

its only the experienced players who want the mortar nerfed because now its a lot harder for them to do their cap routes that they have probably practiced a 1000 times or some new player has come along pawned them with a mortar i think you guys need to learn to improvise and stop bitching learn to deal with the mortar they are really easy to dodge if you have your eyes open
I agree with you jago only problem I have with you you mortar the dam the flag ALL the time. Please OD into people when they are coming for flag . You are very good at HoF and we all know they are always people who can block very good with raider or outrider. But when you mortar the flag stand yeah..that works on the capper but destroys your teammates and if a second capper was behind the first eh? The capper gets away while your mortar cools down from the 1st and your team mates can't chase him quickly because they died. From your mortar. Keep up the great work jago!

jago

there is a reason i'm a good HOF and that is because i don't use IOD to block, just because someone told you that's the best way to to defend the flag doesn't make it correct. 1 IOD and your out of position
so i may have killed my team mates a couple of times, i'm sorry about that but *chocolate cookies* happens.
don't get so close to my work area you i know i'm gonna be using the mortar. the problem is people don't know where to stand when defending and try and stand as close to the flag as the HOF. next time in game ask and ill tell you where the best place to defend from is

Propkid

so i may have killed my team mates a couple of times, i'm sorry about that but *chocolate cookies* happens.
don't get so close to my work area you i know i'm gonna be using the mortar. the problem is people don't know where to stand when defending and try and stand as close to the flag as the HOF
Sorry, how about using Cluster or RL or GL to stop the capper? If more than one person use it they are just as good/ better at stopping cappers + they dont kill teammates as much + they let the rest of the team do something, unlike mortar which basically tells your defending teammates to *dance* off. Sometimes D is the best when you are near the flagstand, such as on Frostbyte. And some bases are rather small (Nivo/Moon) and shooting a mortar with other Ds there is so selfish you should just quit the game.

jago

Sorry, how about using Cluster or RL or GL to stop the capper? If more than one person use it they are just as good/ better at stopping cappers + they dont kill teammates as much + they let the rest of the team do something, unlike mortar which basically tells your defending teammates to *dance* off. Sometimes D is the best when you are near the flagstand, such as on Frostbyte. And some bases are rather small (Nivo/Moon) and shooting a mortar with other Ds there is so selfish you should just quit the game.
i stop cappers with any of the above all the time on the normal servers the problem is still player positioning and the fact you all seem to treat a public test server like a normal ctf server when it clearly states test meaning its there to mess about on.

Propkid

you all seem to treat a public test server like a normal ctf server when it clearly states test meaning its there to mess about on.
85980-huh.gif

... tell it to the 15 other people on the server trying to have a fun and organized game (YOU SELFISH *LADYFRIEND*!!!).

jago

have you ever played any football, a real team game. would you stand on the goal line if you wasn't the goal keeper............... your the *dancing* idiot

there is a reason i'm a good HOF and that is because i don't use IOD to block, just because someone told you that's the best way to to defend the flag doesn't make it correct. 1 IOD and your out of position
don't get so close to my work area you i know i'm gonna be using the mortar. the problem is people don't know where to stand when defending and try and stand as close to the flag as the HOF. next time in game ask and ill tell you where the best place to defend from is
Who said someone told me? Looks like the most sensibly way. I'm just suggesting a tip no reason to bad mouth people you asshole. My must have no friends in life when a teacher tells you how to do something what do you say? Go *dance* off bitch my mother told me to do it this way? What an intelligent asshole you are! Oh and your work station? LEGIONS IS A *dancing* TEAM GAME IF YOU WANT TO DO ALL THE WORK! GO TO A PRIVATE SERVER ALONE BY YOURSELF! Also in *dancing* football everyone does their part well without hindering his/her team mates so don't come here saying *chocolate cookies* happens! If you want to compare these two make sure you actually watch football a couple of times I'm pretty sure you don't see a defender running to his own goal box to stop their attackers from scoring just to kick off his head and shout the coach! SEE I CAN DO THIS WELL! Who cares if you can do it well. Do it to fit the game and help your team to win.

It is a test server, jago is perfectly right here.
Although it is a test server I don't see why team killing is right! Plus I hardly think more than 45 % of people who play in the Public test actually test the weapons. They want to play and have fun. So I'm also guessing to test server you can team kill do other random *chocolate cookies* toss the flag back to the enemy...just to test weapons? I don't *dancing* see how team killing is testing if you do please I'm begging here PLEASE ENLIGHTEN ME Hey let me test this mortar on a defender -kabam- yep it works. YES I HAVE TESTED THIS WEAPON! hey hey! Why u shooting at me for I'm on your team ! I was just testing the mortar! CCF! CCF!!!!!!!!!!!!

jago

the *dancing* idiot was directed at propkid not you lumpy. lol
ive played football for over 20 years and been very successful at it, i know how to play in a team. how many teams have you been apart of at the age of 13 all you young kids think you know how to play this game but most of you haven't got a *dancing* clue.

ive played football for over 20 years and been very successful at it i know how to play in a team. how many teams have you been apart of at the age of 13 all you young kids think you know how to play this game but most of you haven't got a *dancing* clue.
Oh propkid...wwelll then........ whatev :cool: and i know how to play :mad:

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
ive played football for over 20 years and been very successful at it, i know how to play in a team. how many teams have you been apart of at the age of 13 all you young kids think you know how to play this game but most of you haven't got a *dancing* clue.
You think that HOFing involves mortaring the stand and by extension, your teammates. Use iOD for blocking. You don't kill your sniper/chaser...

Disci

Old man

While I agree you, that half of the players don't have a clue how to play as a team, which might be because of the new gaming generation and games which encourage players for selfish choices. This could be problem only on pub servers but when I still played PUG's I could still see the same effect.

I don't agree, that you are forcing your own idea how to play the game and while doing so you're blowing up your own team mates. You can't do that. It's you who informs others how you would want to play and if they agree they move away from the stand. If they don't, then you just have to go O or go on stand next to the flag and iOD just like sents have done it so far. No one on the server is not going to ask you how to play this game. I doubt that 99% of the community cares about opinions of other people. After all they all think they are the top of the top players and already know everything and even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.