The Great Mortar Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jago

While I agree you, that half of the players don't have a clue how to play as a team, which might be because of the new gaming generation and games which encourage players for selfish choices. This could be problem only on pub servers but when I still played PUG's I could still see the same effect.

I don't agree, that you are forcing your own idea how to play the game and while doing so you're blowing up your own team mates. You can't do that. It's you who informs others how you would want to play and if they agree they move away from the stand. If they don't, then you just have to go O or go on stand next to the flag and iOD just like sents have done it so far. No one on the server is not going to ask you how to play this game. I doubt that 99% of the community cares about opinions of other people. After all they all think they are the top of the top players and already know everything and even more.
most of the time i use RL to shoot those pesky cappers and some times ill use mortar. IOD a waste of time limits your options and puts you out of position.
when I've accidentally killed a team mate when i'm at HOF is because they are trying to double HOF and get in the way that is not my fault. Maybe if the defender had done his job in the first place, not allowed attackers to get past him and get to the flag, he failed and then he has the cheek to blame the HOF for doing his job of stopping the capper.
when i enter a game i look around if someone is at HOF ill find another position to occupy why cant others do this

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
there is a reason i'm a good HOF and that is because i don't use IOD to block, just because someone told you that's the best way to to defend the flag doesn't make it correct. 1 IOD and your out of position

I'm sorry, but this statement is absolutely incorrect. No offence intended Jago, but c'mon, that's just ridiculous !

Propkid

If you get out of position after one iOD then you're doing it wrong...
Besides, compared to when you iOD, where are you positioned while using the mortar? Out of position or in position? Because you're not on the flag stand really.
What's the role of a Heavy on Flag if it's not iODing? BB? Raiders can do it too. Mortar spam? There are more team-efficient and actually more effective ways of using firepower in stopping the enemy cappers from grabbing; mortar is just too easy for experienced players to dodge while in OD.
Oh, also congrats on the e-peen my good HOF.

jago

I'm sorry, but this statement is absolutely incorrect. No offence intended Jago, but c'mon, that's just ridiculous !
i don't think its a valid tactic on any map except gorge or zenith, even then its just as easy to shoot the capper

let me see you guys being a HOF and see how effective you guys are with IOD

Propkid

Get the childish arguments out of the line. The fact that me and Fireblasto can't HOF doesn't mean we haven't seen it done properly a bazillion times with iOD.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I've HOF'd before - I'll admit I'm not good, but there are plenty amazing HOFs that do their job. Fire, ContingencyPl4n, Anak, an omni (Strife?), etc.
This is what I've seen you do as a HOF.
1. Mortar stand - works decently, but kills/damages severely chasers/snipers (me!), thus limiting their ability to chase.
2. CHASING - wtf? As a HOF, you should be ready to take a pass. Instead, I've seen you wandering off trying to chase as a heavy, while I'm hopelessly spamming CFE while getting attacking by 3 people. You may think that you're doing "your own thing," but often times it doesn't work.

OT: I think mortars need to be used better. I think I've been killed more by teammates wielding mortars than by enemies using them.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux

I admit, sometimes (especially on small maps) mortar chasing has a point, but your point is valid: in that situation HOF should be primarily there to receive/perform flag passes at base.

Funny thing is, I quite enjoy playing heavy and play it occasionally on smaller maps. You need iOD, and it should be used well with the other weapons and capabilities of your loadout, including mortor.

jago

I've HOF'd before - I'll admit I'm not good, but there are plenty amazing HOFs that do their job. Fire, ContingencyPl4n, Anak, an omni (Strife?), etc.
This is what I've seen you do as a HOF.
1. Mortar stand - works decently, but kills/damages severely chasers/snipers (me!), thus limiting their ability to chase.
2. CHASING - wtf? As a HOF, you should be ready to take a pass. Instead, I've seen you wandering off trying to chase as a heavy, while I'm hopelessly spamming CFE while getting attacking by 3 people. You may think that you're doing "your own thing," but often times it doesn't work.

OT: I think mortars need to be used better. I think I've been killed more by teammates wielding mortars than by enemies using them.
no doubt I've been guilty of killing you with a mortar and a few others down the line and i am honestly very sorry about that it wasn't my intention i have tried to be more aware of team mates when using the mortar but i'm not gonna stop using it...
sometimes i like to chase its fun and for a slow ass sent i chase very well on all of the small maps
when people play like a team ill be apart of it but when most just *dance* about i wont even bother trying to play a proper game whats the point

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
I admit, sometimes (especially on small maps) mortar chasing has a point, but your point is valid: in that situation HOF should be primarily there to receive/perform flag passes at base.
Yeah, on Nivo, I've seen PWA get me damn near every time after I leave the base. It can be effective, but only sometimes.
Jago, you say you want to play as a team. It helps to lead by example - being a team player means helping your capper who is low on health. You cannot simply claim "oh people need to play as a team, then I'll help." If everyone did that, guess what would happen? NOTHING! You need to take some initiative in that regard. Otherwise you're just a hypocrite.

jago

sorry that was my fault for changing subject. Start another thread if you want to talk about that lets get back to the mortar debate ;)

Yeah, on Nivo, I've seen PWA get me damn near every time after I leave the base. It can be effective, but only sometimes.
Jago, you say you want to play as a team. It helps to lead by example - being a team player means helping your capper who is low on health. You cannot simply claim "oh people need to play as a team, then I'll help." If everyone did that, guess what would happen? NOTHING! You need to take some initiative in that regard. Otherwise you're just a hypocrite.
it was 1 of the first things i noticed about this game when i first joined the lack of teamwork.
I did on several occasions bring this up in game, all i got was stfu noob in the end i gave up trying to help and became almost silent in game

Disci

Old man
it was 1 of the first things i noticed about this game when i first joined the lack of teamwork.
I did on several occasions bring this up in game, all i got was stfu noob in the end i gave up trying to help and became almost silent in game

It's a pub game. Don't expect team work on pubs. Ever. Eventually you will learn who are playing for the team and who are not so basicly when ever you join the server and see who are on it you will know which players you can trust when it comes to covering, distraction etc. Most of the time there are none of them, tho. No wonder really, people are generaly not caring about the team work and that's why most of these gems along us will never play pub games ever again.

Immanent

It's a pub game. Don't expect team work on pubs. Ever. Eventually you will learn who are playing for the team and who are not so basicly when ever you join the server and see who are on it you will know which players you can trust when it comes to covering, distraction etc. Most of the time there are none of them, tho. No wonder really, people are generaly not caring about the team work and that's why most of these gems along us will never play pub games ever again.

That's true, but that's the downside of having a massive ass community for instance. Let's say continent X had 1,o00 players and continent Z had 30 players. Those 30 players play with each other so frequently that they know how each other function and how to communicate effectively.

Changes worthy of solving this goddamn problem:

Mortars don't do team damage
Mortars do less damage the closer they are to the point of fire
Lower the blast radius of mortars by a little

on an unrelated note: Fix the fact that the game craps the bed whenever a mortar explodes next to me due to the horribly made graphics displayed upon explosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.