The Great Mortar Debate Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

anak

VIP
the only people i've ever had a problem with in pubs have either been jago, or from 57th. not sure how else i can word it for you.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
karnage - 57th is the ONLY reason besides jago that pubs have a problem with sentinels. you have no idea how irritating and destructive your 'tactics' are to pubs.
Agreed. On Nivosus, if there are any 57th, I usually expect Gravis, FatElvis, etc., to fatty cap the entire time. Mix that with the fact that my team is bad (it's a pub) and sentinels now have mortar, chasing is essentially a nightmare. It's completely silly.

EDIT: Oh and Void.PWA was doing that today. I am disappoint.

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
i fat cap typically when the teams are like 0 - 8.... specially when they continue to chain cap. You wanna complain about something complain about chain caping and how it ruins maps because teams that are hardly ever balanced.

Abandoned

Agreed. On Nivosus, if there are any 57th, I usually expect Gravis, FatElvis, etc., to fatty cap the entire time. Mix that with the fact that my team is bad (it's a pub) and sentinels now have mortar, chasing is essentially a nightmare. It's completely silly.

EDIT: Oh and Void.PWA was doing that today. I am disappoint.

Chasing a sentinel can be bitch hard.

Frost

PWA usually HoFs + Heavy Chases or snipes, on the odd occasion he plays annoying positions like fatty capping and like he said it's generally during bad situations. Clan tags shouldn't really be mentioned in threads since it means your speaking to the whole clan regardless of whether your attempting to talk to a certain person (e.g Void.PWA), Void. is a tag not a part of someones name. Also, this thread isn't about how who moves in what way with the sentinel it's about mortars and it should stay about mortars.

Heavy capping is frowned on and those that do it know what their doing and know the reactions of everyone else in the game so bringing it up is pointless. To sum it up, if you're going to point fingers, take the time to learn who the individuals are and disassociate them from their clan, then address them properly. Stay on topic as much as possible, and know that mortars suck and something needs to be changed about idiots and friendly fire.

jago

1 thing i don't do is stand away from the flag stand and spam away, ill always come up close and give you the chance to kill me. I also stopped heavy capping because you the community frowned at it.
so now ill stop going HO to keep you the community happy sorry for annoying you all, ill stay at my flag and wont move, i wont chase any more and just be plain old jago again

Abandoned

1 thing i don't do is stand away from the flag stand and spam away, ill always come up close and give you the chance to kill me. I also stopped heavy capping because you the community frowned at it.
so now ill stop going HO to keep you community happy sorry for annoying you all, ill stay at my flag and wont move, i wont chase any more and just be plain old jago again

Do whatever you want in pubs...

Disci

Old man
Do whatever you want in pubs...

Err, no. That's the attitude which makes this game not appealing for most of the people I've talked to. You *chocolate cookies* heads don't understand this but keep it on your mind when you realise pubs are empty and the game is dead. You don't do what ever you want on pubs, periord. HO and Heavy capping is ok in my books. Spamming the flag stand when there is your own team mates standing next to the flag isn't. There are clear rules what you can do and what not and team killing/damaging on purpose has always been banned. It's banned even if you're able to pull the capper kills 100% of times.

Sometimes I wish I could lecture you guys so hard that you would think of your actions for the next 5 days.

Frost

Disci has a point not that I agree with all of it HOWEVER this thread needs to get back on topic so try and stick to just mortars and what's okay/not okay with mortars / anything else regarding MORTARS.

Karnage

Private Tester
the only people i've ever had a problem with in pubs have either been jago, or from 57th. not sure how else i can word it for you.
Okay, let me correct you here. I got so angry with my own team yesterday that I lost it in TS (and had to apologise for my language and volume afterwards) because they were defending the idea of HOing with mortar (without the intent to coordinate with the cappers and distract at an opportune time). Not all of us agree with using those tactics and you will only see me HOing if it's a desperate situation (i.e. bad team is losing IN A PUB). I have seen literally more than a dozen other people regularly using those tactics who are not 57th. The only reason you are pointing fingers at the 57ths is because they are unusually good at it. But anyway, my point is that it is not a 'tactic' in our clan and not everyone agrees on it so to call it a 57th tactic is misinformed. You will see for instance that I was one of the few people to support your ideas and also that I am one of those calling for the nerfing of the mortar. It is an issue of contention everywhere, including WITHIN 57th.

OmniNept

Actionaut
Homingun said:
By reactive, I was referring to reacting to someone shooting at you. There were very few instances where a player could get killed without having time to react (unlike COD). Skill isn't just about being twitchy and having a fast pace. There's more to it than that.

That's a fair, if uncommon, definition of reactive. What you're describing is something we seek in our games, largely because it often increases skill differential. This factor doesn't exist in a vacuum, however, and it doesn't increase skill on its lonesome. The more telling factor is maneuverability (again, rapid directional shifts). The more frequently and the more rapidly your target shifts its position, the more difficult it is to hit and the more skill is required.

When you get “semantic” with skill, we run into problems. Skill's a very vague term, so yes, you can ascribe to it almost any qualities you want. COD players could, for example, cite “positioning” as skill, rendering your “reactive” argument useless. In their eyes, anyway.

Think of skill as the summation of various factors, with some factors carrying more weight than others. Skill isn't just about “being twitchy and having a fast pace”, no, but those factors are undeniably important. Someone who can make the same shot in less time is more skilled. And in the upper echelons of every FPS, that makes all the difference.

Homingun said:
I find it harder to hit players as sniper in Legions than in COD. This is probably due to the 6 directional movement and the server side game.

In games like COD, CS, BF, and their ilk, it's rarely the shot itself that's difficult: it's the fact that you've not much time to aim. Legions sniping has the occasional (often perpendicular or OD'ing carrier) quick snipe, but by and large there's tons of time in which to take the shot. The reason certain snipers are effective in Legions competition is that they don't waste 1 to 10 seconds aiming at any one target.

TBH, there's a dearth of skill in both Legions and COD; and I'm not really arguing that one's more skillful than the other. What I find frustrating is that Legions/Tribes players insist that their game's more skillful than COD – that their skills are vastly superior to those of their CS brethren and carry over to other FPS'. They're not, and they don't. Because Legions/Tribes are so generous with allocated aiming time, and because their targets barely shift, their players are rudely surprised when they compete in less forgiving games.

On topic, is there seriously community surprise over the mortar's imbalance? You added a massively powerful splash weapon in a game where defense demands standing near a flag, and where the most popular maps take mere seconds to traverse.

Assets are not going to fix this issue, btw.

Noober

The mortar is great! i don't use sentinel and i'm suffering a lot of death by them, but from when it's on public test i've seen the return of sentinels...
It have just one thing to be fixed: time it's explosion! 2-10mt mid airs with mortar are ridicules, and you can also shot a mortar on your own feet to do a big mess around in one second.

Armageddon

Teapot
In American servers, I have never seen anyone spam mortars before.
Play more often.

I think the mortar TK issue all depends of the Hof in question.
For instance Karnage, We've played a lot together in pubs and when we are on D, Him as Hof and Me on LD we have very few problems that i can ever recall, a few splash damage points exchanged between us but normally no deaths. The LD needs to watch were they are, The flag is the Hof's job and a TK doesn't matter as long as that flag stays put.
On the other hand there are the New crop of Hofs or people just trying it out that do spam the flag alot of the time without timing shots and end up killing a mate and letting a capper grab.

I like the range of the mortar, since the fatty isn't a good chase class it needs something to catch up to the speedy OR and the mortar with a well placed shot can do that.
The damage caused by the mortar im on the fence about, i really hate one shot one kill weapons but if the mortar was to get nerfed and not be a one shot OR killer then the effects of that nerf would carry into other classes making a mortar even less effective on a Raider and so on up. So although im not a fan of the damage it's needed and is something we'll need to adapt too, which is also fun.

Just my 2 cents on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.