Ye Olde Melee/Close Range Thread

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
how about a weapon that causes a pressurised blast around you that causes no damage but throws everyone within a (very short) radius around the player. this would be activated by an unused key on the keyboard, maybe "g"?

damage could be caused as a result of collision damage but it would be mainly used to disorientate and momentarily get rid of base guards and snipers that could be sneaked up on and possibly as a boost or fire enemies away if you collide with them and avoid the collision damage.

it could drain all your energy (not dependant on amount of energy as it's incredibly close range) or could have a similar effect to instant overdrive.

in fact, it could just be an extension to overdrive.

I believe that the developers are trying to make Legions look less like your regular shooter game. (eg. HALO)
yes halo Is a Benchmark in FPS games it seems that lots of games are based on a halo like interface. I cant see anyone actually using any kind of melee attack in Legions, the passive ability to cause damage when hitting an enemy could be helpful for cappers, but other than that, knives? gimme a break not in legions. I do like 7 Fissurez's idea

Cauchemar

how about a weapon that causes a pressurised blast around you that causes no damage but throws everyone within a (very short) radius around the player. this would be activated by an unused key on the keyboard, maybe "g"?

damage could be caused as a result of collision damage but it would be mainly used to disorientate and momentarily get rid of base guards and snipers that could be sneaked up on and possibly as a boost or fire enemies away if you collide with them and avoid the collision damage.

it could drain all your energy (not dependant on amount of energy as it's incredibly close range) or could have a similar effect to instant overdrive.

I can already see this being use by cap defenders... :confused:

Other than this, Legions is not a game you get close enough to people to melee them, at best you can hit someone for a second but the other you are both flying high in the sky, I hardly can see how melee weapons could be used.

Annihilate

I can already see this being use by cap defenders... :confused:

Other than this, Legions is not a game you get close enough to people to melee them, at best you can hit someone for a second but the other you are both flying high in the sky, I hardly can see how melee weapons could be used.
There have been many times I'v thought to myself I could have used a melee weapon there (or the pressurised blast idea). I don't know if you're familiar with 'stand offs' but you get pretty close to the opposing teams offence if your defending and a 'pressurised blast'/melee weapon would come in handy there especially the 'pressurised blast' idea for knocking enemies off your base.

As a HoF the 'pressurised blast' idea extension to overdrive sounds like a nightmare. I'm having visions of cappers ODing into the base and just completely blasting me out of the way and making off with my falg!

i love it as a dedicated hoF player this would be awesome

swatting flies baby

Levi

Legions is such a good game because its so simple. I dont think melee would be good, but maybe a very powerful close ranged machine gun with high burning duration, or maybe like a type of handgun that you will have no matter what class you choose.

I think a shotgun could work... it would take skill to get close to people and aim and shoot.
Im thinking very powerful machine/chaingun, that burns up extremely fast, but one round can kill. it has a very low range

Xeon_Wraith

Yeah, but wouldn't it be better if it was class restricted to the Outrider and/or Raider? Sentinels with the Insta-Overdrive + Overdrive pummeling would an painful combo for cappers.

Shanks

Private Tester
I'm not so much suggesting these as asking for your opinions, but if you guys like it, consider it suggested =)

1. Shotguns (self explanatory)
2. Melee attacks (3 possible types)
-Actual weapons, such as knives, swords, hammers.
-Hitting with your gun (eg Halo)
-Passive upgrades that increase damage done by ODing into someone/etc.

While these may not seem useful in legions, I think someone skilled in movement could do quite well with these.

The CG is already too good close range.

ChainU

A spear that extends... It could have electric current going trough it. The current would jump to the target, while you're trying to hit/shoot... Fresh Legions Kebab! Or a harpoon. Harpoon + a sharp blade. *Drag the enemy close and slash* Two handed or dual weapons would give some more kick to the game.

Siper

Private Tester
A spear that extends... It could have electric current going trought it. The current would jump to the target, while you're trying to hit/shoot... Fresh Legions Kebab! Or a harpoon. Harpoon + a sharp blade. *Drag the enemy close and slash* Two handed or dual weapons would give some more kick to the game.

hmm, kind of sounds like a light saber

h2odragon

I'm not so much suggesting these as asking for your opinions, but if you guys like it, consider it suggested =)

1. Shotguns (self explanatory)
2. Melee attacks (3 possible types)
-Actual weapons, such as knives, swords, hammers.
-Hitting with your gun (eg Halo)
-Passive upgrades that increase damage done by ODing into someone/etc.

While these may not seem useful in legions, I think someone skilled in movement could do quite well with these.
@ Alex
I hope you don't mean SG won't work, but I know why you might say that about melee.
Heres what i think:
Actual weapons: unlikely, unless you sneak up on someone standing still...
Gun Bash: Because it can be used without having to actually equip it, it could be used for things such as when a point-blank suicide rocket would happen, as well as sneaking up on someone/etc.
Passive: Useful for HoF and cappers(when the capper barges through the LD as sometimes happens)

uhhhh.... it wasn't that hard to get close to people when playing LO or D. Having a melee would reduce the need to rocket someones face right in front of you, or chain *lady friend*.

If you think it's hard, well, then melee could be considered a challenging weapon. It's good to have a challenge...

I'd say just make melee a chargeable punch that drains energy based on how long you charge it up. At this close range it wont really detract from MA skills... If you're missing MAs at this range, you've already lost.

EDIT: ugh, but wow, i'm really befubbled by the idea that people think its hard to get close range.... Yeah, it's not gonna happen while you're chasing, but chasing is less than 70% of the battle. O and D play a much larger role and they regularly can get into that close range if they want. Providing melee would encourage people to stay further range and thus, try to be better at MAs.

Melee attack, COD style. :rolleyes:
A spear that extends... It could have electric current going trough it. The current would jump to the target, while you're trying to hit/shoot... Fresh Legions Kebab! Or a harpoon. Harpoon + a sharp blade. *Drag the enemy close and slash* Two handed or dual weapons would give some more kick to the game.
The guy wouldn't only hit the target. The spears power would be the extending part, that would enable the piercing action...
But you wont hit your traget if its jumping around you in close range

So a melee weapon with a 90° attack which pushes the enemy away would be useful

Those quotes vs Mabel's IRC quote:

Mabel-IRC said:
<@Mabel> nothing will work
<@Mabel> nothing
<@Mabel> so stop asking for it
<@Mabel> any close range weapon just makes bodyblocking stupid op
<@Mabel> shotguns suck
<@Mabel> it's been tested before
<@Mabel> you're better off waiting for something that doesn't suck