Ye Olde Melee/Close Range Thread

D

Doom Of Neroflame

WHOOO is silly enough to get close range anyway? your only gona get killed quicker by a nade or rocket

You're not gonna be able to come into some's face very easily in Legions since there is no Energy Pack like in Tribes: Veangence.

Plus, it wouldn't fit in with the Legions style and gameplay.

ChainU

Using the flag as an one kill spear... :D *Throws the flag trough the enemys head* *Headshot!* Rocket deflecting baseball bat would be nice. Or hitting with the flag...

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
If some sort of punch or basic melee attack was integrated, it would probably become a very specialized weapon used primarily by HoF's and the occasional defender. If they land a hit with it, its going to hurt, but they still have to hit, and at that range, your ping and reaction time have to be almost zero if you are dealing with people who are flying at 200 m/s+

Howabout you can sacrifice all your ammo for a gun and release an "energy discharge" which fires a short range sniper rifle style blast (with a larger radius) that can obliterate an outrider, 3/4 dmg a raider, or 1/2 dmg a sent. You then take half the damage the shot inflicted. it would require you giving up some ammo and health, but could be devastating if used well on defense or chasing

Xeon_Wraith

Howabout you can sacrifice all your ammo for a gun and release an "energy discharge" which fires a short range sniper rifle style blast (with a larger radius) that can obliterate an outrider, 3/4 dmg a raider, or 1/2 dmg a sent. You then take half the damage the shot inflicted. it would require you giving up some ammo and health, but could be devastating if used well on defense or chasing
I can already see this being spammed by defenders. Ammo can be replenished, and health too (Even if health wasn't, defenders don't normally care much for K : D).

MJ1284

Only close range weapon that COULD work is Banhammer wielded by Prometheus, if you get hit by it you'll get flung OOB at 250+ mph and you're prohibited from respawning for 5 minutes.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Here, Seymour dug up a couple of ideas from that old outline thread. Again, please note that these are not official or anything, just my own personal thoughts on melee weapons.

Shocklance
Melee weapon that can be effective in certain situations. Particularily effective when used at a high velocity. Attacks in a stabbing motion affecting a single enemy.
Moderate rate of fire, melee range, moderate damage + gravity damage (if target is approaching/approached at a high velocity), effective against shielded units, does not require ammunition.

Disci's Hammer
Melee weapon that swings in a wide arc that can potentially damage more than one enemy. Offers excellent crowd control even against high velocity enemies. Downside is its slow rate of fire and consumption of energy, a missed shot by a HoF could be disastrous for flag defense. Also makes an excellent weapon to use when inside the enemy base attacking base structures.
Slow rate of fire, melee range, moderate-high damage, moderate knockback effect, does not require ammunition, stored energy determines strength of attack, very effective against shielded units. Only usable by Heavy frames.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Melee weapons, and once again I agree with volt, would have to have a ranged weapon. 7fissurez's idea of having a blasting thing would be interesting. I would propose though, that any air-blast or such would be countered with OD. This would lead to even more OD caps, so whether you want that or not. Seymour's lightning lance would be interesting. Velocity dependent melee weapons make more sense in this game. Also, the melee, while being free of ammo, should take up energy, something about 50% of the damage done to the opponent should be taken out of jetpack. If you go over, then you have to 'cool down.' basically you lose energy as soon as you get it until the debt is made up (no interest on that debt.) Basically, if you deal enough damage to take away 50% of a player's hitpoints, then you lose 25% energy to be replenished normally. If, however, you had 10% energy when it was done, then you have to wait for 15% of it to be regenerated and used before you access any of it. This would lead to players being careful about how they use their melee weapon, as it could cripple them. Also, since melee weapons wouldn't be used too much, I would propose using something like in Urban Terror where the scroll wheel doesn't choose the melee weapon, but instead you push an individual key for melee, but you can scroll out of the melee weapon and switch to another weapon.
Another idea for a melee weapon would be one with a "kinetic energy capacitor" where you can charge up the weapon with your kinetic energy (you travel slower while charging, as it is collecting some of the energy) and then this stores the energy. This could be used for emergency stopping in the down direction, and then the weapon can be whipped out and be fully charged for destruction. The weapon would, of course, lose its charge upon respawn.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
The only way a blast weapon would work would be a shotgun. That said, since this is legions, I can think of some pretty cool particle effects we could get...

As for it draining energy, idk...

Though a KE weapon would be interesting... I'm just thinking of the physics of it all... KE=.5mv^2 and P=mv, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around how by reducing your speed you could influence something else. A cool weapon idea in general, but not necessarily for melee. On the old forums, I had an idea for a graviton weapon that would decelerate players, but this KE thing would probably work better. Now I have this image in my mind of a player flying around at 200+ and proceeding to stop dead while releasing some sort of energy pulse forward... Let's see... If the legionairres were to weigh, say 200 kg and are going 200, that comes out to 4 million joules. That's enough to vaporize two moles of titanium (presumably similar to Legionairre armor), which is about 10.5 cc of the stuff and still hit the soft fleshy person behind it with the remaining 80kJ. (If pulsed properly, it only takes 1kJ to kill someone).

If some sort of punch or basic melee attack was integrated, it would probably become a very specialized weapon used primarily by HoF's and the occasional defender. If they land a hit with it, its going to hurt, but they still have to hit, and at that range, your ping and reaction time have to be almost zero if you are dealing with people who are flying at 200 m/s+
That's not true.
It's easy enough to land a direct hit with someone flying very fast directly at you. (I know this from tribes)

All you have to do is compensate for your ping and press the button a little earlier.

Freeman

RAYTANG
It would be the same as body blocking. If a player is going 200+, it's not going to be easy for them to swerve out of the way.

masterluso

Though a KE weapon would be interesting... I'm just thinking of the physics of it all... KE=.5mv^2 and P=mv, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around how by reducing your speed you could influence something else. A cool weapon idea in general, but not necessarily for melee. On the old forums, I had an idea for a graviton weapon that would decelerate players, but this KE thing would probably work better. Now I have this image in my mind of a player flying around at 200+ and proceeding to stop dead while releasing some sort of energy pulse forward... Let's see... If the legionairres were to weigh, say 200 kg and are going 200, that comes out to 4 million joules. That's enough to vaporize two moles of titanium (presumably similar to Legionairre armor), which is about 10.5 cc of the stuff and still hit the soft fleshy person behind it with the remaining 80kJ. (If pulsed properly, it only takes 1kJ to kill someone).

If I followed you correctly.... you're saying that a KE weapon, with real physics applied, would be.... strong?

I don't think including melee weapons would be a great idea. I can't directly think of a moment where I was really thinking to myself 'I really needed a melee weapon on that moment'. Why? Because those moments simply hardly exist in legions. Besides you can still just Mid-air your opponent. The damage you get is just a side issue.

Including melee weapons would just complicate the game unnecessary.