The Sniper Thread

ThermoDust

I am just going to quote my other post as it seem the sniper is being talked about in two areas.

I do agree with most of the replies that the sniper is just something you have to learn to fight. However I found it easy to fight them when I had the RL Spec as I was able to land a hit on them before they can see me coming in. But now with the slow rockets it got much harder to hit them before they can just jump out of the way and snipe me(Yes the bolt is faster then the rocket however it still seems slower than the RL Spec).

To add to this, I only have one problem with the sniper loadouts in the form that they are. They have both long range and close combat weapons. One that can pick you off from afar and the other to finish you off. IMHO I think the sniper should be a long range defense(Or O-Sniping a I have no problem with O-Sniping as its part of any FPS) and depend on the other players on their team to defend them from LO or kill the person they took down by 90% on their way in.

PS/Edit with the new frag nades a good close combat sniper can kill a lot of people.

DOS4/GW

I don't think the weapon should have been put in the game at all. More than likely, the only reason it is there is because Legions is a FPS, and, well, as we all know, every FPS must have a sniping rifle.

I feel that a weapon with an instant travel time is inharmonious with the spirit of the game. Legions' appeal, for me and probably many others, is the greater emphasis on calculated, deliberate shots rather than just reaction times. The LR is too much of a 'twitch' weapon. It does, of course, require a certain degree of target leading, but this is incomparable to what is needed for other weapons. Of course, there is no one agreed-upon spirit of the game; People will play the game as they want to, and I have no more or less of a right to define such things as anyone else. But I think it's safe to say that it's easily the most alien weapon of the bunch.

The LR would probably add an interesting and fun dynamic to the game if a sniper's advantages were not so freaking ridiculous. I challenge anyone to think of any other game where a sniper has a clear shot as often and can cover as large of an area. Players spend the vast majority of their time in the air, sticking out like a sore thumb, often against a sky of contrasting color. Speed can only do so much to counter these advantages.

I don't expect the LR to ever be taken out of the game, nor do I think I would really want it to be. Some people seem to like it, and I wouldn't want their fun ruined. But I don't expect the constant griping over the weapon to ever go away, even if there is a substantial nerf.

Created

Mm I don't quite agree on the LR being overpowered. Sure people can use it well, very well even. But the same goes for any other class in legions? I'm not going to add much, since a lot has been said already, but I want to point out aswell that you can't complain based on solo or near solo cap attempts. CTF works in teams, so team-play is key. If you try capping the flag with 3-4 people and still you're unable to because of the LR's, then we might have an issue.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Mm I don't quite agree on the LR being overpowered. Sure people can use it well, very well even. But the same goes for any other class in legions? I'm not going to add much, since a lot has been said already, but I want to point out aswell that you can't complain based on solo or near solo cap attempts. CTF works in teams, so team-play is key. If you try capping the flag with 3-4 people and still you're unable to because of the LR's, then we might have an issue.

The thing that needs to be done, is called distract. Last post in this thread for me, I've made it clear where I stand.

BestCharmie

Bah, I was lazy to read the all of the posts, but this is what I have to say.

*edit
I'm a sniper too. But currently, I'm using the class with the CG/LR, only because I'm stopping the habit of combo-ing, since it does not do much damage anymore. And, NO. The RL/LR combination is not OP. Since the custom load-outs would come soon, there's no point about this thread and about the rifle being OP, since most people would actually choose that kind of combination if they are liking it or better at it. Personally I would rather use GL/LR, since I have exceptional GL skills, which is now gone due to lack of GL usage (thanks to no GL/LR class, until custom load-outs are completed).

If you complain about them snipers, first, think about it, can you beat them? Then probably right now you're thinking the laser rifle is OP, so, why don't YOU use it? Hmmm, you sucking at it? Too bad, that means their better at you at that state. How about awesome at it? Well, you got yourself a new weapon to use.

Now stop *word* complaining about the LR being OP because if you can't beat the OSNIPER/SNIPER/WHATEVER, that just means he/she/it's better than you. Go think of a strategy or something.

Disci

Old man
It's always nice to read people complain about changes before they even give the change a chance and test it out before talking. I remember complainings about the "new" LR being not effective anymore, people couldn't chase with it, energy drain ruined it for most people and damage wasn't enough to bring down enemies.

Now after people have adapted to the changes and practised to be good at sniping, it's suddenly OP. With the same logic people are saying combos are OP. Should RL and CG be nerfed just because some people are hitting consistent MA's and rape asses on the server with CG? The answer is yes, if you're using the same logic. Is this logic dumb? Yes, in my opinion it's very stupid because people are practising to be better players. If you can't keep up with them, then the problem is at your end. Don't blame the game if you're lacking something.

Tbh, I don't find any of the good snipers annoying and even if there are many of them playing against me, not even then(and no I don't think I'm the best player on the planet. Adding this here before you *lovely lady* s bring it up). It adds some spice and challenge to normaly very boring pub games. Counter them, I'd say, but that would require changing the gamestyle people have adapted and it's no no for most I guess. If you're unable to change your way how you play this game just to counter tactic changes opposite team has made, then I guess you should play something else. Singleplayer games are good, I've heard. You can see this on new maps too, people generaly dislike Stygian and love Fallout. We all know the differences between those two maps, so I don't think I need to mention why they don't like Stygian.

Winning a map against good sniper D is very rewarding. Change your playstyle, fill the missing position, go harrash the snipers instead of running mindless front routes and open a window for someone else to grab the flag. Taunt the snipers from the bottom of your heart when your team makes the cap. Sweet victory for your team and bitter failure for the enemy. Maybe they will learn how to play during the next map. It will unlikely happen, but you can always hope.

Anyways, it seems that people always needs something to complain about. Keep forgeting that you're part of the team even when playing on a pub server. It will make the game experience better for everyone of us. If you like the game and wish a better future for it, you should stop staring at your own belly and look around yourself, even when playing pubs. Atm, I can't see the bright future, unfortunately.

skypredator

Sniping isn't easy but the rewards to reap are numerous and great. The humiliation sniping brings to a common victim of yours is, in a sick way, entertaining. It's hard to learn how to snipe but it's an invaluable skill. I apologize, Ucan. I thought He meant that He wanted the LR to Be "fixed" to make the Chaser Class the King of the Hill again.

DOS4/GW

Thanks! It's a mess, tho, but I don't care. It seems people are able to undestand it so I'll leave it as it is!

Yes, you make good points Disci. Must you be so rude when making them? Calling people ****s is not appreciated; censoring it does not give you a free pass.

Honestly, dude, I tire of seeing your condescending and disrespectful behavior, and I'm more than a bit mystified as to why you have not yet been modded into a fine powder.