The Sniper Thread

OmniNept

Actionaut
Carnage said:
Nept, then why aren't people using the other new loadouts nearly as much? Also, whether your offense is organized or not, four snipers is still a lot of snipers!

I can't imagine the skybolt's not being used “nearly as much”, especially with all the feedback that's been posted. As for the sniper loadouts, for most people a CG or Nade launcher won't be as effective. The ability to nade jump is definitely a boost, but most people are better with rockets than they are CG or nades (in my experience).

Also, there tends to be a bandwagon effect in Legions – one that's exacerbated by the small community. One or two players of renown will start using a loadout or playstyle, and suddenly everyone's doing the same. That indicates only community trends and perceptions, not necessarily weapon strength.

Yes, four snipers is a lot of snipers, but it's not a lineup I'd want in competitive games; and it will likely die down in pubs, after a time. No one's claiming they're not annoying. Actually, I'm not even claiming they're not OP (although I doubt they are). I've argued against only dx's conclusion that they're OP because of his points. And I'm certain the argument's invalidity is apparent to you, as well.

There are also characteristics specific to sniping that warp community perception of the weapon's effectiveness. I'll have to get to that later, though.

Aki

O_O I didn't expect even one person to agree with me. *happiness*

I kindly ask that Nept and DOS take their high-register cock fight to PMs as it is derailing the thread and is incredibly dull reading due to its off-topic nature.

RainPilot said:
Aki, I think class caps would be nice because I've seen certain clans like 57th go into pubs in all heavies and just own because they are organized, know how to pass, and they have numbers of heavies.

Thank you for your support. I agree about the heavy stacking, as well. I don't see it as often as sniper stacking, but at the same time you only need two good heavies to pass-spawn-catch-repeat indefinitely. When I do see it, though, I never feel as cheated and incapable as sniper stacking does; I can at least GET to the damn base >_< . I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel sniper stacking is a more prominent problem than heavy stacking. That is only my opinion, of course. That said, I would be perfectly fine with a cap on heavies; what I really hope for is the sniper cap.

Leave the power, leave the changes, leave everything but one thing. Make it so the laser is seen and has to charge to fire(like the LR from 2yrs ago). That way people who wait to have a full charge like before were rewarded with a more powerful shot. People who fire to soon or fly for to long and use to much energy get rewarded with a weaker weapon.
I don't think giving the old LR a rez is the solution. Besides, I hear that devs have made it clear it's never coming back. The problem lies not with the weapon or its balancing with the other weapons; the problem lies with sniping itself--or rather, with those who don't bother to count the number of snipers their team already has. It's especially pronounced when you already have one or two of the community's best sniping and then you get two more who are damn good and another two who at the worst are pretty good; now put them all on sniping/chasing--there is almost no way to get to the flag with enough speed to be useful or enough health to get far, and even if you do get out with the flag, you'll probably have a blue light on your ass in the next five seconds or land in your base and THEN get zapped. (And for me, it ALWAYS happens during the lag between me hitting the pass-flag button and actually passing the flag >_<)

OmniNept said:
and it will likely die down in pubs, after a time.

(Glad to see this one was on topic :) )

Unfortunately, this problem has, as I said before, been a plague on pubs for a LONG time. I remember better since L:O launched, but I can think of a couple matches on Quarry (god, I miss that map) back on IA that had one too many blue beams coming from the towers. It's not just the test servers where I see this happen a lot, you know; it's worse on the test servers right now 'cause every sniper in the community is looking to see if their precious LR will still be usable when these changes go live.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
'cause every sniper in the community is looking to see if their precious LR will still be usable when these changes go live.
No, it's because of the introduction of the Hornet OR class. RL + LR + OR = Profit

Aki

I wonder, did you spent 30 minutes doing front routes?
because apparently from your writings and how annoyed you are you did

Actually, no, but nice assumption. Usually after three attempts at fronts I'll start changing it up a bit, IF I'm trying to grab and cap. I prefer to play LO and so I don't know as many 'sneaky' routes as a capper ought to. I do know side routes on most maps and back routes on a couple maps that I love to whip out. With so many snipers, I often switch to capping in the hopes that I can either distract the snipers long enough for the better capper to grab or get in while the snipers are already distracted. It usually works against three or fewer snipers. Against six well-positioned and very competent snipers, it really doesn't matter which route you pick--unless your offense is highly coordinated, of course, but that's rare in PUBs. Especially on a map like Stygian which has exactly three directions from which to approach the flag, one of which is completely useless without a heavy assault, there just is next to nothing that can be done short of begging one or two of the snipers to switch teams. If you know of a good counter strategy to six snipers who almost never miss, I am all ears, bro.

Disci

Old man
Wow, six snipers? Do you even need to make a tactic to counter that? I'd say either quit the server or stay home and snipe. Six snipers is equal to 6 HoF's, 6 cappers, 6 chasers, 6 LO's, 6 AFK's, 6 ripperthedippers etc.

Karnage

Private Tester
[57th]Carnage said:
Nept, then why aren't people using the other new loadouts nearly as much? Also, whether your offense is organized or not, four snipers is still a lot of snipers!
nept just answered this. why are you asking it again? the point of public test servers is to play and evaluate new stuff. until the changes are pushed to Live, you really can't argue that it's more popular simply because its powerful.

Sigh Anak. I am not asking it again. It was my response to his answers, and I didn't agree with his answers if you read carefully.